Photo

Pat Bay Highway (Highway 17) discussion

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#181 Doggier

Doggier
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

It's hard to fathom we could have an overpass built on one of our stop & go "highways" without an intersection being removed.....jeeeezus.

Thank the farmer at the corner of Island view and Pat Bay for ensuring the Island View light stays in place.  If you like it... or if you don't ... I suggest you vote with your wallet. 

#182 Doggier

Doggier
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

This Pat Bay/Beacon interchange is an exciting idea.  It's funny that the obvious extention into Sidney is being missed.  They should make Bevan a one-way road (eastbound) all the way down to the Sidney Waterfront Inn.  Then Make Beacon Ave a one way-road (westbound).  This would be good for businesses and open up Bevan, doubleing the business district. An added benefit is that it would improve traffic flow. 

Attached Images

• Map.jpg

Edited by Doggier, 20 January 2014 - 06:22 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#183 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thank the farmer at the corner of Island view and Pat Bay for ensuring the Island View light stays in place.  If you like it... or if you don't ... I suggest you vote with your wallet. 

I don't really understand this concern. There could still be northbound exits and on ramps at Island View, and connectivity with the highway could be easily maintained with a short frontage road, which is pretty much already in place (Lochside Drive). 

#184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

With the recent announcement that the provincial government is contemplating south Island interchanges/overpasses my money is on the Beacon interchange being on the short list together with McKenzie at the #1, perhaps even Tillicum at the #1.

#17 and Hayward won't likely change because of the recent improvements and opposition at Island View seemed to have killed that proposal for now but with the shopping centre coming up I can't imagine that will be the case for long if infrastructure problems rear their heads.

Which leaves Mt. Newton and Haliburton.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#185 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I don't really think Haliburton needs one...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

I'm sure it will be closed in the future. For the few cars that use it stopping the highway doesn't make sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

They can close Island View eventually too, once Jeskin is open.

#188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

True. Both of them stall the highway for only a few cars and a turning bus.

Know it all.

#189 malabrat

malabrat
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

I would think that Beacon Avenue would most likely be the next one for Pat Bay. The design (as shown previously in this thread) is already well advanced and has the support of the town of Sidney.

I am still holding out a faint hope that MOTI will to something at Mt Newton X Road and/or Island View as part of the Jesken Road interchange. It seems crazy to get a new interchange on the Pat Bay and not get any lights removed.

I would love to see lights gone at Haliburton and Sayward eventually. Dont think it will happen in short or medium term. Haliburton really backs up north bound traffic. Since the opposition to one at Sayward then maybe close Sayward to be right in right out only and build one at Tanner Road instead with frontage roads connecting to Sayward.

Edited by malabrat, 16 April 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

That's not a bad idea, having one at Tanner. Those two intersections are close together and Haliburton has only a token volume of traffic.

Know it all.

#191 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

What will this mean for the proposed interchange into Sidney?

http://www.timescolo...teway-1.1019694

#192 malabrat

malabrat
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

I think they will both work together. In fact if you look at the interchange design you see a large tract of unused land to the south west of the current intersection. The interchange diagram if you look closely even has a stub of an access road to that property.

Edited by malabrat, 05 May 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#193 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

I emailed Geoff Dickson, President and CEO of YYJ and he replied:

Mr. gkz,

Both the Town of Sidney and the Victoria Airport Authority were extensively involved with the Provincial Government in the discussions/plans for the proposed interchange. The planned development has taken it into consideration and will have no impact.

Regards,

Geoff Dickson

President and CEO

Victoria Airport Authority

I also emailed the Mayor of Sidney but he has not responded.

Edited by gkz, 06 May 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#194 malabrat

malabrat
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Glad to hear.

#195 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

The provincial government has done a review of speed limits on rural highways and increased them in many areas where deemed appropriate. Here is the report:
http://www.th.gov.bc...w_technical.pdf

On the last page, the Pat Bay is listed under "APPENDIX B: ADDITIONAL HIGHWAYS FOR FURTHER ASSESSMENT"

Hwy 17, Patricia Bay Highway
150 m North of Saanich Firehall to Lands End Road (Swartz Bay) (segment length) 26,  (lanes) 4, (divided) Yes, (speed limit) 80,90

Any thoughts on what they'll do?

I hope for 100 on the freeway segment from McKenzie to Royal Oak at least.
  • sebberry likes this

#196 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

It will go to 90 that would at least make sense. The 80 is crazy along there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#197 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

It will go to 90 that would at least make sense. The 80 is crazy along there.

You know that right at the start next to the fire hall there's a giant 50kph sign, then a couple hundred meters the 80kph sign.

I love doing 50kph until the 80 sign ;)  The drivers behind me on the other hand... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

That spot is tricky. I've seen cops pulling people over right at that corner.

Know it all.

#199 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

That spot is tricky. I've seen cops pulling people over right at that corner.

The only person I saw doing the speed limit there (besides the long line of drivers behind me) was someone in a driving school car. 

The police also like the McKenzie on-ramp.  Who does 60kph on an on-ramp? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#200 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hmm. Aren't on ramp speed signs in yellow diamond shapes? Meaning they are suggested speeds, and not required?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users