399 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Seems like an ironic move for someone opposed to speed limits. :confused:

Opposed, yes. Regularly break them? Not so much.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

We need to stop wasting money to band-aid the real problem. Lana Popham has it wrong about Sayward. If 90% of the motor-vehicle incidents are related to the traffic light then the only solution is to remove it. No deceleration lanes, no bus stop relocation. Just remove it! Haliburton needs to go as well. Traffic in the summer months are quite often backed up to Royal Oak overpass.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Traffic in the summer months are quite often backed up to Royal Oak overpass.

True. First time I got caught up in the "Haliburton crawl" I thought it was an accident up ahead.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

We need to stop wasting money to band-aid the real problem. Lana Popham has it wrong about Sayward. If 90% of the motor-vehicle incidents are related to the traffic light then the only solution is to remove it. No deceleration lanes, no bus stop relocation. Just remove it! Haliburton needs to go as well. Traffic in the summer months are quite often backed up to Royal Oak overpass.

I agree with this. There is little or no need for people to have to access the highway at this point.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Doug Clement Photography on Facebook.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I agree. Too many people want the status quo, for no real good reason.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Is there room for more than just four lanes of traffic to go under that new overpass pictured?

#48 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

I agree. Too many people want the status quo, for no real good reason.

Uhh, there are a lot of people who live above there, not to mention the school. Removing intersections to speed up traffic isn't going to happen (I suspect).

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Uhh, there are a lot of people who live above there, not to mention the school. Removing intersections to speed up traffic isn't going to happen (I suspect).

Above where? On the east side of the highway, you mean? There are other ways to deal with most of the traffic, that doesn't require a traffic signal. Pedestrian traffic is easy, a tunnel under the road is cheap. Cars can go around. Do you see any good reason why we must allow Elk Lake Drive traffic onto the highway (to go northbound) at Haliburton? I sure don't.

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Just lower the speed limit, it solves everything.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#51 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

What this town needs is better feeder roads. The residential roads would the highway via these feeder roads would then feed the highways. We spend to much time turning major roads into minor roads, and allow residential roads the belief that the should have direct highway access.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#52 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Just lower the speed limit, it solves everything.

Then it wouldn't be a highway anymore. Jeez, they've already got us limited to 80km/h.

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Doug Clement Photography on Facebook.

Worst solution to a non-existant problem that has ever been created.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

The more overpasses the better. They couldn't build them fast enough for me. Tillicum, Mckenzie and Spencer on #1 and Sayward, Island View, Mount Newton and of course Beacon and Sidney. Build em all I say.

I actually think the mctavish one works well. It certainly was not the most pressing location in the CRD, but unfortunately politics do come into play with regards to infrastructure issues. With the airport overpass it has created a longish stretch without a traffic light, which is nice.

#55 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

The more overpasses the better. They couldn't build them fast enough for me. Tillicum, Mckenzie and Spencer on #1 and Sayward, Island View, Mount Newton and of course Beacon and Sidney. Build em all I say.

Tillicum is a little tricky, as it is near a large park.
Mckenzie will not solve the traffic on Mckenzie itself.
Spencer Rd will be replaced with the interchange to nowhere soon.
Sayward Rd may be built, but I doubt in the next 5 years.
Island View interchange would affect the nearby farm land, something that I would not support.
Mount Newton maybe, I dont see it as a pressing need.
Beacon is possible.

I really dont think the Pat Bay is a high priority, as traffic isnt a pressing issue unlike the TCH.

I would think that our aging "EXISTING" road infrastructure should be a higher priority before we start to add more, as well as transit improvements.

I actually think the mctavish one works well. It certainly was not the most pressing location in the CRD, but unfortunately politics do come into play with regards to infrastructure issues. With the airport overpass it has created a longish stretch without a traffic light, which is nice.

The only thing I like about it, is the improvements to the transit facilities, especially stops for the 70X.

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Pedestrian struck, killed on Pat Bay Highway

A 48-year-old Sidney woman is dead after being hit by a car as she tried to cross the Pat Bay Highway Saturday night.

The woman crossed the highway under the Weiler Avenue pedestrian overpass and was hit by a southbound Dodge van in the fast lane around 11 p.m., said Sidney/North Saanich RCMP spokesman Cpl. Chris Swain.

[...]

More

#57 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

This happens far too often. A pedestrian overpass needs to be put in.

(btw, this is the one - http://maps.google.c...lumbia&t=k&z=17 )

#58 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

This happens far too often. A pedestrian overpass needs to be put in.

(btw, this is the one - http://maps.google.c...lumbia&t=k&z=17 )

^The article says the woman was crossing under a pedestrian overpass.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#59 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

Well, she's a Darwin candidate then.

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

^ That is usually the stock response so I think Dylan was being facetious. This is unfortunate especially when the option was right there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users