Photo

Sushi in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#161 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

They are always so happy to see you. It's as if you're paying their kids' tuition with every purchase they're so thankful you showed up. 

Fu Do in Broadmead Village is above average. 

It's almost too much, but then you look at them, and they're just so darned cute, how can you not smile?

#162 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

It's almost too much, but then you look at them, and they're just so darned cute, how can you not smile?

I know--I'm only one stamp away from completing my punch card but I can't bring myself to hand it in for my free roll because I don't think I could handle the excitement.

• jonny likes this

#163 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

I second Momo Sush if you're looking for a good balance between price and quality. Their rolls are quite large, and they have free parking!  It's better value than most restaurants IMO.

If you decide to splurge, then I recommend Ebizo ( very good sushi/sashimi, small menu,) or Sen Zushi (very good sushi/sashimi, large menu with a lot of options for non-sushi eaters that aren't available in other japanese restaurants in town)

• gstc84 likes this

#164 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Damn too bad these ideas weren't posted a week ago; last weekend as we were leaving another well known d/t restaurant - not Asian cuisine - the couple beside us from Sequim WA, who we'd struck up a pleasant conversation with during dinner, asked if we could recommend any "really good" sushi places in Victoria. I'm sure we both had the same instantaneous deer in the headlights look, as I am the last guy who can make_that recommendation. Suggestions here duly noted though for next time, lol....

#165 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Sen sushi is very good. I have never been to Ebizo, but people swear by it.

#166 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

I've heard folks raving about the one in James Bay along Menzies. A die-hard sushi fanatic I know says it's the best place in town.

Went once, was good but not so amazing that it knocked our goto off the list (Shizen)

#167 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

So of all of these, only 1 maybe fits the original question 'affordable', Momo? I can't find a menu for them online.

$15 for 7 pieces of salmon sashimi is ridiculous (Fudo). Sen Zushi (13.50 for 5 pieces) and Ebizo (11.95 for ? pieces) are similar.

When actually getting enough to eat (2 decent sized rolls or so) costs over $25 bucks, before tip, thats nuts.

Sushi Garden from Vancouver would make a killing here if they could open with the same menu and prices.

#168 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

So of all of these, only 1 maybe fits the original question 'affordable', Momo? I can't find a menu for them online.

$15 for 7 pieces of salmon sashimi is ridiculous (Fudo). Sen Zushi (13.50 for 5 pieces) and Ebizo (11.95 for ? pieces) are similar.

When actually getting enough to eat (2 decent sized rolls or so) costs over $25 bucks, before tip, thats nuts.

Sushi Garden from Vancouver would make a killing here if they could open with the same menu and prices.

Here is the link to Momo: http://www.menuvicto...mo-sushi-togo/ 

One of their Big Crunch rolls at $7.49 (deep fried prawn and yam) is enough to fill me up. 

Also, not all sushi is the same, so it really depends on what you're in the mood for. My husband loves Fujiya because it's cheap and convenient, but he also loves going Sen Zushi when he feels like treating himself to a really nice meal. 

#169 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Island Outfitters, bait section.

• Mike K. and Cassidy like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#170 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 12:12 AM

Swapped things around and did the quick turnaround after work and got the boat over this morning to shop till I drop, offer some crisp high fives and enjoy the park Victoria app. Dropped some coin in the CoV today. You’re welcome.

Most importantly we came over to celebrate my kids birthday and enjoy dinner at Toro sushi. New to us, open for a little while - couple of years? I’m not sure. Used to be a different Japanese restaurant in the same space I don’t think I ever went to. I discovered it was owned by a former chef at Nori in Nanaimo (which is a real destination restaurant for many) and it jumped to the top of the list. Reservation made, off we went. Handy parking in the view st. parkade across the street. Two hours exactly, five bucks with the app, a no brainer.

Arrived, the place is really nice and lots of neon and other cool light art. Stopped to check out the open kitchen, looks good. It felt like they didn’t want me hanging out there.

One of our party was literally shouldered out of the way by a door dash driver on the way to our table.

Menu is huge and looks really great, and we went to town. Some of the food was truly excellent, like the fresh uni, and some of it was not, like the silly a5 wagyu nigiri, comes out on this tray with a smoked filled cloche, the server was clearly waiting for me to do something, but I didn’t know what. After a few awkward seconds, he said “don’t you want to take a video?” Not really, but whatever so my wife took out her phone I think.

After ordering food we tried to order drinks, but were rebuffed. Big crowd at the door, food to run, he was getting the stare from a few people I think. No matter, he said he would be right back for drinks but never did come. Food started coming out quickly and we were actually quite happy with water as it turns out. Probably the best result for us, but he missed out on likely $50 in sales and $10 in grat, which surprised me because he was wicked on the food upsell.

Service was wonky, some mistakes were made and not rectified, and food was expensive but excellent quality. Service mistakes to be forgiven as they were slammed and short staffed. I feel that.

Edited by Matt R., 27 March 2024 - 12:15 AM.

#171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 01:02 AM

Swapped things around and did the quick turnaround after work and got the boat over this morning to shop till I drop, offer some crisp high fives and enjoy the park Victoria app. Dropped some coin in the CoV today. You’re welcome.

Most importantly we came over to celebrate my kids birthday and enjoy dinner at Toro sushi. New to us, open for a little while - couple of years? I’m not sure. Used to be a different Japanese restaurant in the same space I don’t think I ever went to. I discovered it was owned by a former chef at Nori in Nanaimo (which is a real destination restaurant for many) and it jumped to the top of the list. Reservation made, off we went. Handy parking in the view st. parkade across the street. Two hours exactly, five bucks with the app, a no brainer.

Arrived, the place is really nice and lots of neon and other cool light art. Stopped to check out the open kitchen, looks good. It felt like they didn’t want me hanging out there.

One of our party was literally shouldered out of the way by a door dash driver on the way to our table.

Menu is huge and looks really great, and we went to town. Some of the food was truly excellent, like the fresh uni, and some of it was not, like the silly a5 wagyu nigiri, comes out on this tray with a smoked filled cloche, the server was clearly waiting for me to do something, but I didn’t know what. After a few awkward seconds, he said “don’t you want to take a video?” Not really, but whatever so my wife took out her phone I think.

After ordering food we tried to order drinks, but were rebuffed. Big crowd at the door, food to run, he was getting the stare from a few people I think. No matter, he said he would be right back for drinks but never did come. Food started coming out quickly and we were actually quite happy with water as it turns out. Probably the best result for us, but he missed out on likely $50 in sales and $10 in grat, which surprised me because he was wicked on the food upsell.

Service was wonky, some mistakes were made and not rectified, and food was expensive but excellent quality. Service mistakes to be forgiven as they were slammed and short staffed. I feel that.

Good review.

https://www.torobarbar.ca/

708 View St.

screenshot-www.google.com-2024.03.27-05_01_50.png

#172 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:45 AM

No such thing as cheap sushi in this town :(.

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 06:12 AM

Do they specialize in sushi made from raw bulls?
  • Matt R. likes this

#174 Tony

Tony
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:01 AM

I visited at lunch one day, 25% full,  good service. Had their multiple dish special. Excellent and fair price.

• Matt R. likes this

#175 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:31 AM

Yes, I really like Toro as well. It's my go-to spot now for sushi downtown. They can get slamming busy at times.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#176 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:32 AM

Speaking of sushi, unfortunately our James Bay local sushi place, Sushi Matsuri, has closed. It's been replaced by a Korean restaurant named Bop.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#177 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:36 AM

...It's been replaced by a Korean restaurant named Bop.

https://youtu.be/KZ3qChwjp_k

#178 Tony

Tony
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 09:51 AM

Yua bistro on Fisgard has some interesting options.

Kapo Marta on Bay has interesting fusion menue

• Matt R. likes this

#179 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:19 AM

No such thing as cheap sushi in this town :(.

The wagyu and foie nigiri was $43 for two small ones. It’s a cut above.

#180 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2024 - 12:29 PM

and you didn't want to video it for posterity on your SSI tiktok feed? For shame!  :wave:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users