Uptown Place - phase 1
Use: condo
Address: 3815 Rowland Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Uptown Place, phase 1, otherwise known as the "Huxley Building," is phase one of the two-phased Upto... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Place - phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Place condo | 4- & 4-storeys | U/C

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Tri-Eagle Development Corp is proposing a two four-storey condo project on Rowland Ave. just north of Uptown. The buildings will be located on a 65,000 sq. ft. property overlooking Highway 17 to the east.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Overwhelmingly underscaled and under-designed. Just the sort of density Uptown will need to be a success (lol). Saanich aught to love it.

And why is it that all Tri-Eagle projects look the same? Isn't this just a variation on their office building in Royal Oak? Methinks they have hired Mike Brady as their senior architect.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

The design is very familiar, isn't it? But to be fair it is likely a rough concept for this early stage of the proposal process.

The architecture firm is de Hoog Kierulf which seems to be behind all of Tri-Eagle's newer projects.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

You're talking about that big empty lot that runs along the side of the highway? I wouldn't have minded seeing a few more stories there. Even 6 and 4 instead of just 4 and 4.

I'm thinking the design is going to be pretty good. Quite a bit better than the stuff at the northeast corner of McKenzie and the highway.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

Agree on the density. That is a huge lot. I would have expected one more building and quite a bit more height.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

You're talking about that big empty lot that runs along the side of the highway?

That's right, across from the Saanich Fire Department.

Know it all.

#7 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Considering there is a 6 or 7 story offiec building on Vernon Av, and the Uptown residential phase will most likely be significantly taller, I personally would be happy with 10-15 stories per structure perched on this hill. If Saanich wants this area to thrive as a livable "city centre" than they need to go up.

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

The zoning of the property is RA-3, this restricts all buildings to no more than 35% of the lot. The limit of the FSR is 20. The height limit is 11.5 meters, or roughly no taller than four floors. Even more specifically, it can not have more than five floors and can not have more than four devoted to housing.

Keep all of that in mind, this design seems to be the limits of what can be done on this property.

The property is also within the Carey LAP and not Saanich Core LAP which means with OCP guidelines for Carey LAP apply. Carey does not call for high density.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Apparently this project has been approved. Awaiting confirmation now.

Know it all.

#10 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I noticed that a billboard went up on site this week, and there is a website: http://uptownplace.ca/

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Shouldn't their motto read "In the heart of Saanich"?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Come home to Uptown Place.
It’s where the heart is.

The new heart of Victoria offers a diversity of living,
shopping and entertainment that is unmatched in the region.

I assume by unmatched entertainment they mean The Fox? :)

Know it all.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

It has had some pretty exciting stuff happen recently.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

oh ya, sure, use "Victoria" when it's convenient. Contribute to the homeless problem? Help build a new library? fuhgeddaboudit....

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Here's your first look at the model of the Uptown Place project.

The majority of parking will be underground, but surface parking will number 26 spots. One of the most unique aspects of this projects, as mentioned in the article linked in the post below, is walk-up access to groundfloor units together with private yards. This is a great feature that more condos should incorporate for groundfloor units. There's far too much wasted landscaped land around suburban condos that could be much better utilized.

Know it all.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Uptown Place will offer a $400-$425/sq ft price point and units between 1 and 3 bedrooms at prices typically offered on the west shore.

Developer banks on popularity of Uptown district with $25 million condo project
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...-condo-project/

Tri-Eagle Development Corporation’s Paragon office project at Shelbourne Street and Cedar Hill Cross Road has recently completed and the company is already moving forward with it’s next endeavor.

Banking on the success of Uptown Shopping Centre and the immediate area’s potential to become the urban core’s second downtown, Tri-Eagle is readying to officially announce its $25 million Uptown Place woodframe condo project just a stones throw to the north of the new commercial centre.

Located at Huxley Street and Rowland Avenue, Uptown Place hopes to attract buyers seeking a central location that is within easy walking distance to commercial amenities, offers ample public transit connections, cycling infrastructure and immediate access to both highways 1 and 17.

“We’re going after the buyer who works in downtown Victoria and lives in Langford or is looking for a condo on the west shore,” said Travis Lee of Tri-Eagle. “What we will be offering are west shore prices and larger units in a location so much closer to Victoria and moments away from amenities and various modes of transportation.”

Uptown Place’s 76 homes will be split between one, two and three bedroom units priced at $400 to $425 per square foot. Comparable projects in the urban core can be priced much higher per square foot, while $400 is typically offered on the peripheries of the urban core and communities further west. [Read more]

Know it all.

#17 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I really like the idea of the outside entrance for ground floor units. Hope we start seeing this more often.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

One of the most unique aspects of this projects, as mentioned in the article linked in the post below, is walk-up access to groundfloor units together with private yards. This is a great feature that more condos should incorporate for groundfloor units. There's far too much wasted landscaped land around suburban condos that could be much better utilized.

I agree for most every location, except maybe right downtown, like the new condo on the 800-blk. View St. (live/work units).

I don't think anyone is going to go out of their way to make a really nice, spiffy entry garden, or spend time out there, when it's right on the busy street.

Up in Nanaimo, right at the harbour, there are some relatively new condos with patio entries, they are pretty barren.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Some of the condos at the Railyards include walk-ups via patios but not private gardens.

Know it all.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't think anyone is going to go out of their way to make a really nice, spiffy entry garden, or spend time out there, when it's right on the busy street.

Remember the patios outside the currently-under-renovation Quadra Villa townhouses. They aspired to barren.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users