Photo

[James Bay] Q Apartments | Rentals | 7-storeys | Hotel converted into rentals in 2014

Rental

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

With the rents they are charging for this place, they really should have left an amenity like the pool. 

#62 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Seen in passing:  http://www.usedvicto...tments_21822592

dozens of people moving in

Same user is advertising $995-$1,795/mo apts for rent there, assorted interior pics:

http://www.usedvicto...tments_21821912

(I gotta wonder:  what's the the square footage?)

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 01 April 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#63 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

So they want $1800 per month for a kitchen with a fold up table where you have to have fold up chairs to match

#64 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

So they want $1800 per month for a kitchen with a fold up table where you have to have fold up chairs to match

Yeah, but to be fair, in the height of the tourist season such newly done up apartments would rent furnished for $3,000+/month, hmm?  (and maybe $1,500/mo off-season)   I'd still like to know the square footage (as I see that as one of the key elements when trying to estimate rental/sales values).

jbw

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Wonder how they are doing...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Saw some  20-something techy-hipster types smoking in front of the lobby.  Seems like the only sort with the money and tastes to pay $1800 for such a tiny place.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

They are advertising on the radio, so I guess they did not all sell out for April 1st.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Wow for a massive reno those bathrooms and kitchens are a tragedy. I dont see those appealing to 20 something hipster techies at all!

Edited by Szeven, 06 April 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Q is a valiant renovation effort but Concert was heavily limited with what they could and couldn't do. Hudson Mews offers modern everything and that will appeal to a lot of renters who can afford the $1225+ rents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

IMHO this should have stayed a hotel.

#71 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

What is the market here?  Short term stays?  Like if you get a little high-paying tech job in the city for a few months?  With so many other much better and cheaper options I can't see anyone living here permanently.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#72 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

IMHO this should have stayed a hotel.

It just wasn't doing so great as a hotel. 

But I think it had good potential for furnished suites (longer terms then a few days to a couple of weeks; say, two or three month minimum).  eg. targetting the newly separated and divorced crowd. 

Disappointing they filled in the pool.  Samuel's Restaurant or a successor was probably unsustainable (restaurants in hotels are typically 'loss leaders' and I suspect Samuel's was one of those).

jbw

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

...Samuel's Restaurant or a successor was probably unsustainable (restaurants in hotels are typically 'loss leaders' and I suspect Samuel's was one of those)...

Yet their Sunday brunch was ALWAYS busy. I am not sure how they did at dinner time, but Samuel's was also popular with nearby government workers for lunch.

#74 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Yet their Sunday brunch was ALWAYS busy. I am not sure how they did at dinner time, but Samuel's was also popular with nearby government workers for lunch.

Except maybe holidays, they were just never full up at dinner time when I walked by.  Usually just half to two-thirds of the tables were occupied as a rule even on Friday/Saturday evenings (and that's deadly for restaurant profits imo).

jbw

ps.  Their swimming pool was popular with some off-site neighbours, I don't know what they charged but you could pay to use it if you weren't a guest there.

#75 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

According to their website, you can apply for every single type of unit (16 types in total) so I don't think they are renting very well at all

http://www.concertpr...ls/q-apartments

I know several friends who own apartment buildings in town and they are all telling me every building they own is not fully rented every month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users