Photo

[James Bay] Q Apartments | Rentals | 7-storeys | Hotel converted into rentals in 2014

Rental

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Concert says it will explore conversion to rental units or independent seniors living: http://www.timescolo...8618/story.html

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Victoria will need a new downtown hotel now. I propose something at the city-owned "flatiron" lot Douglas @ Humboldt.

#23 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Victoria will need a new downtown hotel now. I propose something at the city-owned "flatiron" lot Douglas @ Humboldt.

Hotels in Victoria have had 63% occupancy for several years; industry consultants say another hotel won't be built until the room lease rate hits 70%.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

I realize occupancy rates are still too low to require another downtown hotel. I'd just like to see something spiffy built on the "flatiron" site. :)

#25 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Concert says it will explore conversion to rental units or independent seniors living: http://www.timescolo...8618/story.html

Either way... Someone is gonna get screwy here!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

Developer to convert Queen Victoria Hotel into rental suites

"Over the next month or so, we'll be thoroughly assessing the condition of the building and establishing a plan for converting the suites to residential rental apartments," Concert spokeswoman Heather Harley said Tuesday.

"These will not be age restricted, but rather will be available to all," she said. It will be rebranded as The Q Apartments. No firm occupancy date has been set. That will follow the evaluation of the building and the conversion.

Huh, interesting.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

It will be rebranded as The Q Apartments...

So will John de Lancie be at the official opening? Any word on what happens with the former Samuel's space, since I assume the apartments won't have need for a restaurant?

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

I thought this was going to be residential care?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

That was the initial plan, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

How about a new Pacific Coach Lines terminal/future LRT depot at street level?

Not likely to happen - I doubt that the existing structure could withstand a gutting of the lower level. But think about it. It's on a hill. Busses need a really wide turning radius. Southbound coaches turning left onto this site? Waiting for traffic to clear in the other lane? I just don't think it's workable.
Pieta VanDyke

#31 Sloth

Sloth
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Sign put up by Concert a week or two ago.

Personally I am thrilled with this change.

I'm a huge fan of having lots of residential space downtown. It makes the city feel a LOT more alive when everyone doesn't clear out back to the suburbs at 5 pm.

This is a perfect location for people who want to have a totally walkable, car-free, urban lifestyle (but so close to the park too!) There's also going to be some pretty awesome views from the upper suites.

I think there are too many hotels in this city anyway. (63% hotel occupancy rate seems to agree with me). I was super happy when the old Shamrock Suites were torn down and replaced with those nice brownstones on Superior.

Now if the city could just approve something for that stupid Crystal Court Motel lot!!!

#32 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Cool change, I was not excited about a care home going in here but rentals sounds great.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Not sure what's up here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Whats is going on is that the whole place is being renovated. New paint new fixtures new flooring etc etc etc

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Except there's been no activity for months.

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

They been working on it now for sure.
They're merging a lot of the hotel rooms together in order to make big enough apartments while keeping some of the larger suites as-is. They're also upgrading some of the fire safety items such as new fire-doors and little things like that.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#37 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

There has been activity inside for months. Just because the you could not see it from outside didnt mean it wasnt taking place.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

I have no idea what's going on inside.

What I mean by the caption is I don't know what the nature of the scaffolding and the bridges between balconies is all about.

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Whenever I walk by I never see any vehicles or people.

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

What I mean by the caption is I don't know what the nature of the scaffolding and the bridges between balconies is all about.

Might be fixing the concrete balconies like they're doing at View Towers. Both buildings are around the same vintage.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users