New RCMP contract - Pay raises...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

http://www.timescolo...3238/story.html

RMCP I thought were already paid well, and we all know the provincial gov't stance on teacher salaries, so what does this mean? How much are the raises going to be? Over what time period?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

http://www.timescolo...3238/story.html

RMCP I thought were already paid well, and we all know the provincial gov't stance on teacher salaries, so what does this mean? How much are the raises going to be? Over what time period?

I'm unclear why nobody, or at least the reporters, don't know what the raises are...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

The BC Government as well as some Municipal Governments give themselves raises and don't ask the taxpayer if its OK

We usually read about it in the morning paper.

So now when someone else gets a raise and it is reported in advance its a concern????

Please don't even compare this to the teachers' dispute because its not even comparable.

The teachers are greedy gluten's who are using Kids as a bargaining tool.

#4 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

The BC Government as well as some Municipal Governments give themselves raises and don't ask the taxpayer if its OK

We usually read about it in the morning paper.

So now when someone else gets a raise and it is reported in advance its a concern????

Please don't even compare this to the teachers' dispute because its not even comparable.

Tough to call people who make 50-60k a year greedy when RCMP make 78k after 3 years. (According to the link below)

http://www.rcmp-grc....r/rm-mr-eng.htm

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Greedy glutens? Let's not get overly excited here.

By the same token though, aren't police using fear in their negotiating? Crime is on the decline meanwhile police budgets are getting bigger. Why?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

I say greedy when you compare hours worked and pay earned. Teachers may make the same if you compare hour to hour work and pay.

I should not paint them all with the same brush and know that there are some who do the job because they actually like it and are not doing it for the money.

But lets be realistic with the demands.
Lower your demands and maybe the Government will see the light.

Our current dictatorship has not helped the situation by not negotiating and my guess is that when the Titanic finally does slip below the waves a new dictatorship may negotiate.

The RCMP probably needs to deal with the wage increase now because with a 20 year contract they may not have had room in the new contract do do it at a later date and announcing it now is the right thing to do rather than 1 or 2 years from now.

As for the rates of pay between RCMP and Teachers I do not think an honest comparison can be done.

Teachers work from Sept to June then they take off the summer and collect EI. From Sept to June they have 2 weeks off in Dec and another week off in Spring PLUS all the PRO D days which should be done during the time off because they are getting paid.

I do think that they should never have closed down the schools and special areas of schools for those "SPECIAL " students. IN Langford we had a school called Dogwood and it was for what we Used to call retards. Now they are called special needs etc. At Belmont there was an area called the auk hall and it was for those who needed extra help. I am not trying to be insensitive by referring to past names these special needs were called and by saying that they should have their own separate learning environment but if a persons learning rate is going to disrupt a class and cause a teacher to be a baby sitter then YES something needs to be fixed.

Having these kids in regular class situations is (in my personal opinion) is wrong due to the fact that it takes the teachers attention away from teaching.

RCMP I think are OK earning what they earn but what needs to stop is paying them after they have been found guilty of wrong doing. A case that comes to mind is the Shawnigan Cop that is probably Still on payroll 5 or 6 years after being found guilty of Using police cars and computers to pick up women on Plenty of Fish then using the back seat of the cruiser as a hotel room. I think he was also caught using his cop car to pull over "speeders" then offering his stud service to forgo the ticket.

this guy is probably still being paid as a suspended with pay scenario

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Teachers work from Sept to June then they take off the summer and collect EI.

I think that there shows that you are far from an expert on the issue.

Regular teachers do NOT collect EI during summer.

http://bctf.ca/uploa...ntInsurance.pdf
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I do think that they should never have closed down the schools and special areas of schools for those "SPECIAL " students. IN Langford we had a school called Dogwood and it was for what we Used to call retards. Now they are called special needs etc.

History Buff, c'mon, let's be adults here.

We do not support or tolerate such language or condescending commentary on VV. Condone yourself however you like in public but on this discussion forum we ask participants to exercise self-restraint.

Further comments of such nature will be deleted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm unclear why nobody, or at least the reporters, don't know what the raises are...

I read about this elsewhere, I wish I could remember where, and it listed the raises, they were pretty small, something like 1% first year and 1.2% second year. Certainly didn't raise my hackles.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I thought I did too, but look at this:

http://www.theglobea...article2367284/

Last updated Monday, Mar. 12, 2012 10:40PM EDT

The renewal of the controversial contract for RCMP services in B.C. will boost policing costs by less than one per cent in the first year of the deal, according to Langley Mayor Peter Fassbender.

The contract for the 2012 fiscal year will hold the line on salaries and pensions. But inflation will account for a slight increase in the budget, Mr. Fassbender, an observer at the contract talks on behalf of the Union of B.C. Municipalities, said Monday.

#11 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

History Buff, c'mon, let's be adults here.

We do not support or tolerate such language or condescending commentary on VV. Condone yourself however you like in public but on this discussion forum we ask participants to exercise self-restraint.

Further comments of such nature will be deleted.

That and the continuous vilification, and demonizing, of the teaching profession by HB and a few other posters on here is truly and deeply offensive. I hope those attacks come to an end.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#12 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

As an ex-student of Elizabeth Fisher and Belmont Schools, I should point out that there was no "Auk Hall". There was, however, an "Occ Hall"....it was an area of the school where the "occupational" classes were taught. In my day there were three programs...Academic, General and Occupational.

#13 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

That and the continuous vilification, and demonizing, of the teaching profession by HB and a few other posters on here is truly and deeply offensive. I hope those attacks come to an end.

So sorry that my opinion of Teachers does not match yours and that it upsets you.

My last comment on teachers will be this..

Teachers Deserve Large wage increases and less time worked for those increases.They should also have more time off than time working in the class.
If someone who teachers consider to be a friend ( ie: Queen Elizabeth)
passes away....said teachers should be allowed to take time off for grieving purposes and be paid.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

The government loves to pit us against each other. It certainly solves a lot of their problems like answering why they keep cutting funding for education and take a hard-fisted approach to negotiating with the individuals who literally raise our children (let's face it, teachers spend more time in a day with kids than most parents do) and make every attempt to turn kids into productive and respectable members of society.

Unfortunately most parents today would rather berate a teacher under the guise that they are free-loading and lazy, than to take the time to learn for themselves just what the reality is within the classrooms they send their children to every day.

Nevertheless, since this is a thread about RCMP funding, all I have to say is we're on a great path as a society with increased security/policing spending and continuously reduced support for public education.

Know it all.

#15 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

The RCMP pay increase is 1.75% for 2012 (retroactive to Jan 1), 1.5% for 2013, and 2% for 2014. Other increases include a shift differential increase to $2/hr from $1.50/hr (hours worked outside of 8am to 6pm), a senior constable (promotable and 7yrs service) allowance increase from 4% to 5%, and the first retention step amount of 1.5% being reduced from 5yrs service to 4yrs service.

Take-aways include the end of severance pay, and the gradual shift of 33/66 pension contribution split (employee/govn't) to 50/50. Severance pay gave a retiring officer a week's salary for every year worked up to a maximum of 28 years. Severance stopped accumulating on March 31st and existing severance will be paid out sometime this year. It has also been reported that the plainclothes allowance ($2000/yr) and kit-upkeep allowance will be canceled.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

^ So how does this change the plans of Esquimalt to contract with the RCMP?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#17 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

^ So how does this change the plans of Esquimalt to contract with the RCMP?

It probably doesn't as I believe the payraises are offset by allowance and pension cuts/adjustments. That said, I have doubts the Province would ever allow Esquimalt to switch to RCMP.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

The Mounties have adopted a new uniform policy to allow female Muslim officers to wear the hijab.

Scott Bardsley, spokesman for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, confirmed that RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson recently approved an addition to the uniform policy to allow women officers to wear the head scarf "if they so choose."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...hijab-1.3733829

#19 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hm. That horse left the stable several years ago with the turban issue, but I think that it was a wrong decision then, and is wrong again now.  It turns what should be a secular police force into a visibly religious one, which, I think, is wrong.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#20 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

It turns what should be a secular police force into a visibly religious one...

No it doesn't.  No one looking at a Sikh constable ever thought "here comes the religious police". 

• http likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users