Public Education

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

What study shows that private school children are the "highest-achieving"?

Oh, come on, that's not a secret.

Since teachers are quite opposed to actual testing in schools, we rely on the Fraser Institute to put together the only comparative testing we do.

The Fraser Institute found that private or independent schools scored an overall average of 8.5 out of 10 over the last five years while public schools earned a 5.9 overall average. In the 2010-2011 school year, 62 of the top 100-performing schools were private schools, according to the report card. The top 14 schools tied for first place, scoring 10 out of 10. Of those top 14, 12 were private schools and two were public schools.

http://www.ourkids.n...-schools-19364/

And as much as y people want to run down the FI, there is not much they can do to skew the numbers here, they are very clear.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

^ You have to correct for socioeconomic factors. i.e. you need to show that students in private schools do better than their socioeconomic peers in public schools before you can claim private schools are better than public.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

^ You have to correct for socioeconomic factors. i.e. you need to show that students in private schools do better than their socioeconomic peers in public schools before you can claim private schools are better than public.

I do? You think that if I take two kids, one wealthy, one not, and plunk them in the same private-school classroom each day for 6 hours, that in every case the one that goes home to a less-wealthy home will do poorly in that school?

So now if I take those same two kids and place them in public school each day, does the one from the better economic background do less well? Or better? Or do they both do poorly?

I don't think I need to make the adjustment you ask. Private schools are full of kids that do better than their public-school counterparts. And I think that being among them likely raises everyone's level.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

^ The correlation between socioeconomic status and achievement in school is well-known.

Of course individuals can be on the tail of their distributions, but yeah, you put 20 high SES kids in a class room with 20 low SES kids, on average, the high SES kids will do significantly better. A belief in the power of the classroom is touching, but ignores the amount of learning that goes on in the home.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

^ The correlation between socioeconomic status and achievement in school is well-known.

Of course individuals can be on the tail of their distributions, but yeah, you put 20 high SES kids in a class room with 20 low SES kids, on average, the high SES kids will do significantly better. A belief in the power of the classroom is touching, but ignores the amount of learning that goes on in the home.

OK, good. So if I buy into what you are saying, then how does more teachers and/or higher salaries for existing teachers in the public system create higher-achieving students?

Because that's the union's position right now. They have put forth no other solutions.

So I say that dumping more money into the current public system does not help, or if it does, the ROI on that increased funding is poor.

Look, we have lots of graduating teaching students looking for work right now. If we suddenly reduced teacher wages by 20%, and hired 20% more teachers with the excess funds, we'd probably be in a better place. Why is that option not on the table?

#26 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

^ agreed on those points... I actually think those options, and merit pay, and the ability to fire poor-performing teachers, should all be on the table. I think teachers should have fair procedures that encourage them to improve if they are doing a poor job, but getting into the union shouldn't be a sinecure for life.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Want to see an amazingly broken system:

http://www.silive.co...n_get_full.html

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

The end of summer holidays in BC?

B.C. school boards handed control over calendars

Local school boards will have complete control over the school calendar in their district under provincial legislation unveiled Thursday, opening up new opportunities for year-round schooling in elementary and secondary grades.

Education Minister George Abbott said the legislative change, which has been requested by several school districts, particularly superintendents, was minor but significant.

[...]

The standard school calendar with a 10-week summer break does not reflect good educational practice, he said.

[...]

http://www.theglobea...article2415471/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Fraser Institute's controversial high school rankings give top marks to 14 private schools

Posted by Michael Aynsley on Monday, April 30, 2012

The Fraser Institute, a controversial Canadian think tank (that many describe as right-wing), has released its annual rankings of secondary schools in B.C. and the Yukon with this year's top honours going to 14 private schools.

http://vancouver.ope...ngs-give-top-ho

SEARCHABLE LIST

Belmont, Esquimalt, Vic High are our worst schools. Ranked 223, 230, 242 out of 280 schools, respectively.

That list is very searchable. According to it, there are 36 schools (out of 280) that have a population of 15% or more of special needs students. That's a lot.

#30 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Which province then has the 'best' education system?

Which country has the best education model?

#31 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Which province then has the 'best' education system?

Which country has the best education model?

I'd say Quebec has the best in Canada.

As for internationally, the Scandinavian countries definitely do. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland - all great, well-funded, well-resourced public education systems.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'd say Quebec has the best in Canada.

As for internationally, the Scandinavian countries definitely do. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland - all great, well-funded, well-resourced public education systems.

But even with all that world-class education, how come they have not put out a decent band since ABBA?

Ah Ha! and Aqua were reasonable attempts, I suppose.

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

But even with all that world-class education, how come they have not put out a decent band since ABBA?

Ah Ha! and Aqua were reasonable attempts, I suppose.

Roxette is stilling rockin' as well.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

^ Yes, my bad. Roxette is/was wonderful. Thanks for the reminder.

#35 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

TIMES COLONIST SEPTEMBER 22, 2015 

Computer drive with three million B.C. student records is missing

The B.C. government has misplaced an unencrypted back-up hard drive containing extensive and sensitive databases and reports on B.C. and Yukon students from 1986 to 2009.
The drive contained about 3.4 million records, including names, postal codes, grades and personal education numbers.

A smaller number of files contained more sensitive information including:

• 825 survey results of teachers’ retirement plans

• 1,052 records on cancer survivors

• 9,273 records on children in care.

#36 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

MISSING DRIVE CONTENTS - http://www.cio.gov.b...Data_Breach.pdf

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

RESPs: free money from government that half of Canadians don't ask for

Ottawa offers thousands — that's right, thousands — of dollars to help families defray the cost of tuition.

But most of us just leave that money on the table: the most recent data from Statistics Canada shows the participation rate is less than half.

What jackpot am I talking about? It's a Registered Education Savings Plan, and any Canadians with a kid can open one.

And here's the best part: for every dollar you put into the plan, the government kicks in a little extra for you.

Even as little as $5 or $10 at a time can get you started. Every bit helps, and the best part is that Ottawa will add at least 20 per cent of your contribution — and maybe more.

But you can qualify for even more. Depending on your income, the government portion can rise to as much as 40 cents for every dollar you put in yourself.

For lower income Canadians, there is also something called the Canada Learning Bond. If you qualify for that, Ottawa will give you $2000 for your RESP whether you contribute a penny or not.

But how do you know what your child will do 17 years from now? As you look down at a swaddled baby or a toddler running roughshod over your house, it's sometimes hard to imagine them figuring out tuition costs and residence bills.

That's an important detail, so it's worth repeating: if the child named in the RESP doesn't go to university or college, the government portion disappears.

But all your contribution is still there, and you have several options to roll it over or rename the beneficiary (for example, to a grandchild).

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...aylor-1.3794444

more here;

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...alued-1.1333287

http://www.smartsaver.org/

• Matt R. and pennymurphy2000 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users