#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Aggregated materials... :)

Good work, Paul!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

A different view of the Blue Bridge and the Coho, two iconic Victoria attractions still going strong.

Thanks from running some of my photos on your FB page.
The royalties are pouring in. :redface:

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

Facebook Inc. is now bigger than Wal-Mart Stores Inc., at least when it comes to its value on the stock market.

The world’s biggest online social network knocked the world’s largest retailer out of the top 10 list of the highest-valued companies in the Standard & Poor’s 500 index on Monday and the gap widened on Tuesday.

While the switch is mostly symbolic — nothing specific happened this week to warrant it, and the difference between the two giants is not that big — it signals investors’ insatiable appetite for successful tech stocks. Apple, Microsoft and Google top the list of the highest-valued companies in the U.S., and Facebook looks to be on its way to joining them.

A company’s market value is calculated by multiplying the number of shares of stock it has in circulation by the current price of one share.

Facebook Inc. was valued at $238-billion at the close of trading Tuesday, according to FactSet. Its stock gained $3.14, or 3.7 per cent, at $87.88.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. was valued at $234-billion. Its stock dipped 22 cents to $72.57.

Facebook, which is based in Menlo Park, Calif., has been on a roll this past year, its shares up about 34 per cent in the past year compared with just 8.2 per cent for the S&P 500 index. Its quarterly results have consistently surpassed expectations.

http://www.theglobea...rticle25078429/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

Something that's always puzzled me and gives me reason to think that Facebook would be useless in an emergency.

This post "12 hours ago" from VV about a gas leak only just showed up in my feed, and it's more recent, according to Facebook, than a post "10 minutes ago" from someone else. 

I know Facebook has some goofy algorithms to choose what gets shown, but shouldn't it at least be in chronological order?   And why does my phone show substantially different timeline content than my PC? 

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

You have the choice to show top stories or recent stories. It defaults to top stories as those are the things FB thinks you want to see most according to their algorithm.
  • weirdie likes this

#66 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Department of Unfortunate Juxtapositions:

Capture.JPG

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

Oh, Rob  :redface:

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

And people worry that the AI's behind Facebook or Google are going to take over the world... Unless they already have and just have a sick sense of humour.
  • todd likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#69 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

And people worry that the AI's behind Facebook or Google are going to take over the world... Unless they already have and just have a sick sense of humour.

Must be the mushrooms.

mario3.jpg

#70 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

Professional comedy writer Matt Klinman (The Onion, Funny or Die) has a long interview that reveals how Facebook is destroying independent websites:

The problem is that Facebook is our editor and our boss. They decide what is successful and what isn’t successful via seemingly meaningless metrics. They hide behind algorithms that they change constantly. And it seems to me that they are not favoring things that are high-quality — they are favoring things that are clickbait, things that are optimized for Facebook, low-quality things that appeal to the lowest common denominator and, honestly, just things at random.

Facebook is essentially running a payola scam where you have to pay them if you want your own fans to see your content. If you run a large publishing company and you make a big piece of content that you feel proud of, you put it up on Facebook. From there, their algorithm takes over, with no transparency. So, not only is the website not getting ad revenue they used to get, they have to pay Facebook to push it out to their own subscribers. So, Facebook gets the ad revenue from the eyeballs on the thing they are seeing, and they get revenue from the publisher. It’s like if The New York Times had their own subscriber base, but you had to pay the paperboy for every article you wanted to see.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

But everyone is free to build their own Facebook.

Look, if your content is extremely compelling, then Facebook is not involved.

I do not consult Facebook before I read VV each day, of the variety of news websites I visit each day. They are set in my favourites and I go directly to them daily, or many times daily.

Facebook is just a bonus fur publishers. The billions of eyeballs Facebook has accumulated are offered to you go free. That still seems like a good deal to me.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:35 AM

CBC is turning off their Facebook comments for a month.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ments-1.6064804

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 June 2021 - 03:36 AM.

#73 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 05:13 AM

CBC is keeping Facebook comments closed on news posts

We hope to make online spaces safer by minimizing harassment and abuse of our story subjects, commenters

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-blog-1.6230921

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 November 2021 - 05:13 AM.

#74 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 08:28 AM

Probably what you’d expect out of state media.

#75 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 01:43 PM

It seems as if the CBC has been doing that for longer than a month. I noticed it weeks ago. 

#76 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:43 PM

It seems as if the CBC has been doing that for longer than a month. I noticed it weeks ago.

Since mid-June — as it says in the linked article. And, commenting on the website was not affected.

#77 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:58 PM

Since mid-June — as it says in the linked article. And, commenting on the website was not affected.

Except that they do not allow comments on any "controversial" website articles.  Like any first nations issues.  They close it too.

#78 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:20 PM

Except that they do not allow comments on any "controversial" website articles. Like any first nations issues. They close it too.

To be clear, commenting on their website remains pretty much as it has been for some time, irrespective of the recent situation with FB. That not all articles on the website are open to commenting is nothing new.

Edited by Benezet, 01 November 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#79 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:31 PM

To the clear, commenting on their website remains pretty much as it has been for some time, irrespective of the recent situation with FB. That not all articles on the website are open to commenting is nothing new.

true.  but the most controversial are all closed.

they run an entire section on indigenous issues, but indigenous people can not even comment on issues that affect them there.  pretty paternalistic.  that's Trudeau for you though.  talk at people, not with them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 November 2021 - 04:32 PM.

#80 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 05:56 PM

…but indigenous people can not even comment on issues that affect them there. pretty paternalistic….

Sorry, but the real problem is commenter spew.

“Anything about First Nations will bring comments that reveal a staggering, sickening level of racism.“

https://www.timescol...omments-4631745

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users