News item: Oak Bay home too modern for neighbours' tastes

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

I like that slope of the roof.  It's perfect to me.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#182 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Would look much better with the wall feature in the front.
  • rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

Would look much better with the wall feature in the front.

They can add it later, long after the inspector is gone.  Make it freestanding.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#184 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Would be a pain in terms of matching up the finishing and stuff.

#185 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Would be a pain in terms of matching up the finishing and stuff.

I think you could have a cool accent piece between the existing and the added bit.

#186 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

This is what I meant when I mentioned cookie cutter styles Oak Bay should avoid.

It's that new development in Langford just beside the highway.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 July 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#187 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

I've noticed a lot of new houses going up in the Victoria/Hampshire/Beaverbrook blocks of south Oak Bay that are threatening to replace a bunch of boring stucco boxes with boring nouveau arts and crafts.

#188 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

This is what I meant when I mentioned cookie cutter styles Oak Bay should avoid.

This wouldn't happen in Oak Bay become of economics.  When you spend 800k for a teardown you have 20-50k for exterior finishing details.

#189 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

Oak Bay also isn't a place with tracts of land that can be bulldozed so entire new neighbourhoods can be built. That said, too many of the new houses replacing old houses are of similar design.

#190 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

The problem is nobody is going to pay much for those homes so the developer has to build them as cheaply as possible in order to make a profit. One of the easiest ways to do this is build very similar houses so all the costs are known going in and there is very little waste. Trades also know where to run every line fastest etc. If people want affordable housing this is the way to get it. It may not be eye appealing but nobody but the owners are going to see them really. Once some different landscaping goes in and trees mature they will start to look a little less stark.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#191 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

The problem is nobody is going to pay much for those homes so the developer has to build them as cheaply as possible in order to make a profit. One of the easiest ways to do this is build very similar houses so all the costs are known going in and there is very little waste. Trades also know where to run every line fastest etc. If people want affordable housing this is the way to get it. It may not be eye appealing but nobody but the owners are going to see them really. Once some different landscaping goes in and trees mature they will start to look a little less stark.

Ya, my thoughts too.  There is a lot of money to be saved by your trades just going in and knowing what to do, and using the same doors, the same interior trim, plumbing fixtures, garage doors, siding, windows... yada yada yada on several houses.

#192 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Once again I offer my semi-annual rant about those grey/brown modern box houses. It dawned on me recently that this style spans an incredibly wide range of neighbourhoods, income levels, and demographics. New house in a central neighbourhood? Grey/brown modern box. New house on the beach in Saanich? Grey/brown modern box. New house in Oak Bay? Grey/brown modern box. New house on the peninsula? Grey/brown modern box.

I always want to stamp my disclaimer on this complaint: the individual houses themselves look fine. I see a super-expensive version and I say it looks nice, I see an on-the-cheap version and I say it looks nice. But crikey, it might be time for incentives or some other measures to encourage builders to venture into some different styles.

#193 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

They are cheap to build. 

I do agree with VHF in an another post somewhere - there should be more flat roof housing happening. You'd think that would be cheaper overall, no trusses!

#194 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

How about square in the back slanted in the front as a compromise?

#195 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

Brown & grey instead of grey & brown? Maybe even gray & brown? Mix it up a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users