Photo

News item: Oak Bay home too modern for neighbours' tastes

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Actually, Pam likes modernism, hates the fake stuff.

Did you say Pamela Anderson is moving in? I'm moving to Oak Bay!

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

It's not just architecture some Oak Bay residents get upset with, sometimes it's over the nationality of their neighbour's.

On various occasions I've seen folks behind the tweed curtain behave like the most pompous and self-righteous bunch, but maybe that's more-so the behaviour of a very select few but vocal individuals who ruin the perception of their community.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

It's not just architecture some Oak Bay residents get upset with, sometimes it's over the nationality of their neighbour's.

Their neighbour's what? You've left off some of that sentence.

You mean there is a high proportion of non-Canadians in Oak Bay? Landed immigrants, or just people visiting from other countries?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Dog?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Dog?

I was thinking it might be their maid, nanny, or domestic helper.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

See, that's what happens when you struggle with your Blackberry Playbook's keyboard. Darn thing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

See, that's what happens when you struggle with your Blackberry Playbook's keyboard. Darn thing.

It's a poor tradesman that blames his tools.

#28 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Lets face it.... anything beyond the horse drawn carriage is to "modern" for Oak Bay...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#29 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm sorry, but it seems as though I'm the only person who finds this thread ridiculous. If this house was being built in...oh, I dunno, Gorge-Tillicum, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. But somehow, because it's Oak Bay, it's ok for us to descend upon the neighbours with torches and pitchforks for not wanting a house that is totally out of character with the neighbourhood.

And speaking of hypocrisy, what, if instead of modern, they were planning to build a 1990s Gordon Head beige stucco McMansion? You'd probably all be deriding the owner for building something so gauche.

I'm not suggesting neighbourhoods end up with the homogeneity of Kettle Creek Station, but owners building new in an established area ought to try to integrate into their surroundings instead of building the one modernist cube that ruins the neighbourhood.

True architectural success is being able to build something that looks like it belongs in it's mileau, using cues from the surrounding topography, nature and even existing housing. It is possible to build modern without completely eschewing tradition.

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

If they were protesting bad architecture that would be one thing, I'd support anyone protesting gordon head or langford style architecture in the core. It's the assertion that the style is some how out of character, when given the huge diversity of styles in the area that assertion is ridiculous. This is a quality design that reflects the time it was built, like most well loved buildings.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm sorry, but it seems as though I'm the only person who finds this thread ridiculous. If this house was being built in...oh, I dunno, Gorge-Tillicum, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. But somehow, because it's Oak Bay, it's ok for us to descend upon the neighbours with torches and pitchforks for not wanting a house that is totally out of character with the neighbourhood.

I think Gorge-Tillicum would welcome any form of housing. And it's the folks in Oak Bay that pretty much descended on the new neighbours with pitch-forks.

I'm not suggesting neighbourhoods end up with the homogeneity of Kettle Creek Station, but owners building new in an established area ought to try to integrate into their surroundings instead of building the one modernist cube that ruins the neighbourhood.

See, that's the reasoning of the neighbours that joined the lynch mob. That somehow this new home, all by itself, was ruining the neighbourhood (or that it would spur more similar homes, and then they would collectively ruin the neighbourhood). That's not the opinion of most of the forumers here. We don't think one house ruins a neighbourhood, and if it does attract others of the same type, well, then that must be a popular form with those wanting to live in Oak Bay.

And as I've said before, if neighbours don't like it, get the laws changed, don't march upon your new neighbour.

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

...a house that is totally out of character with the neighbourhood.

But what's the character of the neighbourhood? It's the same problem we have whenever there's a controversy about something being built downtown or in James Bay. People get selective. Certain styles, formats, and eras will suddenly be invisible.

Heck, we've seen many instances in which protesters have claimed the moral high ground even though their own residences were excellent examples of the very same evil(s) that they were protesting against. If that doesn't suggest some serious confusion re: determining the established character of a neighbourhood then I don't know what would.

Architecture in Oak Bay is diverse. That might bother certain people, but it's true, nevertheless. There are all sorts of different styles and forms. So how do we determine good from evil?

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Architecture in Oak Bay is diverse. That might bother certain people, but it's true, nevertheless. There are all sorts of different styles and forms. So how do we determine good from evil?

Heck, just look at this small patch of OB.

http://maps.google.c...00757)&t=h&z=16

I can find you run-down junky homes, retail and commercial properties, a marina attached to a very underused parking lot, high-rise apartments and condos of varying quality and age, and even a sewage pump-house dressed up as a home. That's pretty diverse.

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I mean, it would be very easy to argue that the presence of very modern homes here and there is a well-established and defining aspect of Oak Bay's character. The affluence and the proximity to waterfront has made it so, for the past several decades.

So how about this place? Is it out of character? It's been re-modernized recently, but it was still supposed to be extremely modern when it was built, yes?
http://tobytrembath....etails-22247908

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I mean, it would be very easy to argue that the presence of very modern homes here and there is a well-established and defining aspect of Oak Bay's character. The affluence and the proximity to waterfront has made it so, for the past several decades.

So how about this place? Is it out of character? It's been re-modernized recently, but it was still supposed to be extremely modern when it was built, yes?
http://tobytrembath....etails-22247908

Please don't get me wrong: I am not against modernity or modern design. Your example is extremely modern without being a gigantic middle finger to your neighbours. Personally, I wouldn't paint a house black for both aesthetic and practical reasons (especially on the ocean) - but as unusual a colour as black is for an exterior, it's not like it's hot pink with fluorescent green trim.

No, this is the type of place that I would personally get up in arms if someone proposed to build it next door to me: http://g.co/maps/rusgb. Does this mean that I am an unreasonable NIMBY?

Ironically, across the street is another way to go: an uninspired stucco 90s job with curve top windows and faux munton bars and an awning that is straight out of an 80s sunroom.

I'd rather that the designs of either of those houses weren't approved. However, if I had a choice between modern and offensive and bland and inoffensive, I'd have to give it a real long think as to which I'd rather live next door to.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

^ Yes, that's an interesting look, for sure Bob. Both sides of the street. I would not be up in arms, on the other hand, if I was planning that style of home, I would not buy that lot to place it.

There are lots of homes like that in James Bay, and I think they look great.

But ya, that block there on Chester, it seems strange. But again, I don't think it ruins the neighbourhood. I think it looks dumb.

Oh, except for the exposed concrete wall thingy at the front. I REALLY think those are lame. I think all but 1% of exposed concrete is lame. I see zero appeal to it.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

That's sure a great neighbourhood for discussion.

What do we think of this place around the corner on McKenzie?
http://g.co/maps/bvwz6

Or this one on the other side of the block on Linden?
http://g.co/maps/8et7c

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

^ I can't believe the owner (or his gardener) of the second property doesn't deal with the graffiti on the pole and utility cover next time they are there. You are allowed to paint it away.

#39 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

That's sure a great neighbourhood for discussion.

What do we think of this place around the corner on McKenzie?
http://g.co/maps/bvwz6

I think I want to dislike 1154 McKenzie Street, but I don't. It is very different than its neighbours, but I personally like Art Deco, Beaux Arts, mid-century modern stuff. If it was me, I'd have done something more interesting than military industrial complex green, but that's just me. It certainly doesn't evoke a visceral distaste in me like 319 Chester does.

Or this one on the other side of the block on Linden?
http://g.co/maps/8et7c

319 Linden Avenue is one of my favourite houses in all of the CRD. Honestly, if I'm having a crappy day, I will walk the dogs by it to lift my spirits. It looks like an Italianate estate from the Tuscan countryside, scaled down to fit in a small urban lot. That is different, but integrates well into the neighbourhood well, despite being so different.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen outrage expressed about that second one. On Flickr, I think.

This one was a horror show as far as I'm concerned. Terrible fit:
http://g.co/maps/9twyt

How about this one?
http://g.co/maps/jquha

Or this one?
http://www.flickr.co...nwra/501843266/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users