BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#2461 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

But you have to run back down to the host's condo to use the bathroom. That's convenient.

The party lounge has a bathroom.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2462 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

The lounge has a bathroom.  

See my comment above.

#2463 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

I presumed as much. So a second bathroom in one's under 900 square foot unit when entertaining isn't really that much of a selling point.

I think once a place is over 800 sq. ft., a second bathroom is a good idea.

When I lived with a female room-mate a few years back, she had her own ensuite and I used the bathroom on the main floor, that was also for guests.  It just had a shower stall.  It worked out great.   It's not always a couple sharing a 2-bedroom.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

I can understand the argument for a second bathroom when 2 people are sharing a space, but not so much for entertaining purposes. At most, a tiny 2-piece half-bath should suffice. I am quite happy the developer of my property didn't think it was necessary to sacrifice any more space for a second bathroom in my 2-bedroom, 900 square foot condo. Of course, I also couldn't imagine sharing this square footage with anyone else.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2465 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

I can understand the argument for a second bathroom when 2 people are sharing a space, but not so much for entertaining purposes. At most, a tiny 2-piece half-bath should suffice. I am quite happy the developer of my property didn't think it was necessary to sacrifice any more space for a second bathroom in my 2-bedroom, 900 square foot condo. Of course, I also couldn't imagine sharing this square footage with anyone else.

Well, there you go.  I think you will find most 2-br or more homes have at least 2 occupants.  Not all, for sure.  But most.

#2466 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

... I think you will find most 2-br or more homes have at least 2 occupants...

No doubt, I freely admit I need my space (and apparently, someone else's as well).

#2467 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Spotted a 283 sq foot Janion unit listed for $289,000. That's over $1000/sq foot. That murphy bed better be made out of actual clouds.

• Nparker likes this

#2468 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

The Janion seems to be a motel..each morning this week I have seen people exiting with suitcases. A business owner nearby has also mentioned that its got a mainly transient population and he also mentioned hat the same is true for many units in the Union

Not really a p[ace to build a community such as at BayView or Prom nearby

Edited by HB, 29 March 2017 - 08:05 PM.

#2469 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

The Janion seems to be a motel...

That's not really much of a surprise considering the transient zoning and the fact that many of the units are hotel-room in size. I am not sure it really was ever intended to have the sense of community that other condos have.

#2470 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Well the people who purchased to live there full time had high hopes of it I am sure some posted their desires here.

I think that we will see less people living there full time when they realize how cramped it is living in something the size of a U-haul Truck

Another thing that eventually will make it less desirable to live there or at least on the north facing side is when that parking lots is developed and another building goes in there blocking off any views they already have

The positive thing is Victoria has a shortage of hotel rooms and little places like these operating as BnBs help with that and provide a needed service.

It would have done well as a Hostel...Ocean Island for example is bursting at the seems with guests

#2471 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

No privacy glass.  And "privacy glass" does not work at night anyway.  But you can get some cool window coverings, leave that to the buyer.

The unit is the one on the second floor with ALL the blinds up - as opposed to the ground floor units with ALL their blinds closed.  Between the need for some privacy and the summer sun baking your unit, me thinks those blinds will be down -  a lot  So much for the views eh.

32888462834_a598b716ba_h.jpg

2.jpg

Also, nice color match to the new bridge's gray light posts and color scheme in general.  Oh but wait, what's up with those sections of unpainted concrete next to the balcony - did they run out of gray paint?  It's certainly unfinished as the gray painted area in not even on each floor (note especially the 4th floor).   Here is a close up crop, and you can click through to flickr if you need even MORE resolution.

33602199811_655556bbf0_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 29 March 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#2472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

All you need is a half-decent portable A/C unit and you can keep the blinds up all summer long. I still can't believe how few Victorians have A/C in their homes but complain constantly about the heat in their condos (only to later downplay that heat and maintain Victorians don't need A/C).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

All you need is a half-decent portable A/C unit and you can keep the blinds up all summer long...

I've had one of those units. They are bulky, noisy and require external venting which is not always practical. It's a shame built-in A/C is not becoming more common in new construction.

• shoeflack likes this

#2474 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

The good ones are super quiet. But yes, you'll need to vent the heat in some way. But that's a very small price to pay for a very comfortable ambient temperature when the afternoon soon is trying to create a blast furnace out of your home.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

It's more about where/how to store the device for the 9 months of the year it is not needed.

#2476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of crap that's sitting around unused for 12 months of the year that can make way for the A/C unit  :cheers:

Know it all.

#2477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of crap that's sitting around unused for 12 months of the year that can make way for the A/C unit 

Strangely enough, no.

#2478 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Still curious about that unpainted concrete.   :construction:

#2479 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

They were drilling in the parking lot next door today...

#2480 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

Its only a matter of time before that parking lot has another building in there between Mermaid and Janion currently its a wasted space as a parking lot rarely full usually only 1/2 to 3/4

Edited by HB, 31 March 2017 - 07:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users