BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#2541 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

Good question. There always seems to be a reason. Too this, too that...

Both Arbutus and Oak trees can grow quite tall, up to 30 m, which would certainly block views of the Sooke Foothills. The landscape plan would never be approved!

• Nparker likes this

#2542 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Victorians love their green spaces, as long as they don't contain any local plants or species or otherwise resemble any natural green space that you'd find on southern Vancouver Island.

• Nparker likes this

#2543 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

The landscape plan would never be approved!

It's true but it makes me wonder why even a singular plot can't ever be set aside for an arbutus or oak, for the express purpose of allowing it to grow tall and become a prominent/defining element in whatever space we're talking about. I'm not picking on this Janion square so much as new developments in general, and in particular supposed "green space" developments (like the Wharf Street parking lot plan).

#2544 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

And here are a few from today.  There are a lot of round LED lights in the plaza pavers aimed skywards.  I imagine they'll be used to light up the trees, should look great.   :thumbsup:

Also, is it just me or are those new signage letters on the Swan Pub looking super tacky?  Reminds me of the WAFFLE HOUSE roadside dinner signage.  I included a pic of what it used to look like.   :mellow:

36076868291_edf0ab6a35_k.jpg

36076871951_dc817c51ee_k.jpg

36170355326_3e08fcd38d_k.jpg

36076869821_62c53e1abb_k.jpg

17868901600_96ab893de0_k.jpg

Hi Gary fully agree about the signage at Swan Pub. Strangely from the inside you can not see the lettering, they just look like window shades. I found this out last night as I quaffed a couple of excellent pints of Fernie IPA.

#2545 Comoxer

Comoxer
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Have we determined who the retailer will be that has leased one of the plaza storefronts?

Haven't heard a peep. Seems to be a very well-kept secret thus far.

#2546 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Anyone know how grandfathering will work under these new short term rental bylaws?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2547 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

No. Nor does City Council.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2548 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that Panagopolous Pizza may be the company that has leased the space in the Janion.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Nostalgic Victoria like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2549 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

If Marko does get wind of this, maybe he can explain why there seems to be a slice of cold pizza on the "staged" dining table?

Are you questioning my marketing tactics? :)

You want to sell people on a lifestyle, you know like if a house has a hot tub your throw a bikini close by along with a few empty beer bottles.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Panagopolous Pizza may be the company that has leased the space in the Janion.

That's a good fit.  Someone has to supply all those who succumbed to Marko's marketing tactics   :thumbsup:

• VicHockeyFan, lanforod, Nostalgic Victoria and 1 other like this

#2550 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:08 AM

Interesting. Any further info in that regard?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2551 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

Well I confess how I got my hunch Mike...a little detective work. I was walking around there several weeks ago and there were a couple of dudes inside doing some work in the interior. One of them was wearing a Panagopolous shirt. The company name was written on the back, so it's unlikely a giveaway type of tee shirt or something. The dudes were quite far away from the window, so probably never even thought about someone spying them. What do you think? A plausible conclusion?

• Mike K. and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#2552 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

I am afraid.... when I Google Panagopolous Pizza, all I get in Panago.... please say no.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 28 September 2017 - 12:58 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2553 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

I am afraid.... when I Google Panagopolous Pizza, all I get in Panafo.... please say no.

I'd prefer to use Yahoo! as my search engine because I'm not crazy about Google or how it operates.

That said, if Panago is opening up in the Janion, that'd be cool to have around when you want that pizza fix and you're close by.

#2554 perceptionchangeseverything

perceptionchangeseverything
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

Well I confess how I got my hunch Mike...a little detective work. I was walking around there several weeks ago and there were a couple of dudes inside doing some work in the interior. One of them was wearing a Panagopolous shirt. The company name was written on the back, so it's unlikely a giveaway type of tee shirt or something. The dudes were quite far away from the window, so probably never even thought about someone spying them. What do you think? A plausible conclusion?

If the guys that you saw were working on the brick, then they work for a local masonry company.

#2555 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

One of them was wearing a Panagopolous shirt. 

If the guys that you saw were working on the brick, then they work for a local masonry company.

Panagopoulos literally wrote the book on seismic forces on brick buildings!

Edited by Rob Randall, 28 September 2017 - 02:34 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Hotel Mike like this

#2556 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

Victoria isn't as populous as a metropolis so the research of Panagopoulos is therefore not apropolos.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#2557 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Okay. Don't all get your taste buds worked up just in case my hunch is wrong.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2558 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

I was told that they have offers on all of the retail spaces and are in the midst of negotiations.

• Nparker and thundergun like this

#2559 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Are there any Janion strata members who can shoot me a private message, please?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2560 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

screenshot-www.bcassessment.ca-2017-12-30-14-21-07-593.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users