BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#2361 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

Just shy of seven years on the discussion forum ... sad

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2362 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

The stairway between the Johnson St Bridge, and the Janion building, which leads down to the David Foster walkway (which may eventually materialize) underneath the new bridge and connect to the front of the Janion. 

The Janion is on the left, and way in the background is the moon, below which is Swan's.

P1030123_LR.jpg

P1030124_LR.jpg

• Janion Fan likes this

#2363 electric

electric
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Have a look - micro-suites and Jon Stovell in the news: 

http://www.canada.co...7013/story.html

#2364 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

There are still a lot of white foam blocks of various sizes sitting on the east approach.  Where is that stuff supposed to go?  I was originally thinking it was for the stairs but the above pic has changed my mind.

#2365 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

from where i occasionally stand, there is still alot of blocking to occur.  I guess the foam blocks are alot cheaper than good quality, unstable fill.   They need to raise the levels in many areas.    BUT PLEASE!  Can we have a finished plaza!

Edited by JanionGuy, 13 February 2017 - 07:07 PM.

• Nparker, thundergun and Janion Fan like this

#2366 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

I was originally thinking it was for the stairs but the above pic has changed my mind.

The fill under the stairs is mostly foam blocks, I watched them being installed.

#2367 Gmanheman

Gmanheman
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

Hi all, there are smudges and streaks and fingerprints all over the glass in my bathroom I'm assuming from the trades, has anyone discovered how to clean them? I've tried paint thinner, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide, no luck.

#2368 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

The rooms are cleaned after the trades...maybe open houses people with grubby hands

Try razor blades and a small amount of dish soap

#2369 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

From the archives...

Still the same today, without the train.

NP1.jpg

• Nparker, todd and Janion Fan like this

#2370 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

For history buffs, here are three ads from the 1890s from the Victoria Daily Colonist.

The first is the Sheriff's ad from October, 1892 selling off the assets of the bankrupt operators of the Janion Hotel.

The second is an ad from April 1893. Somebody wants to get the Hotel running again. Apparently it never happened.

By 1894, commercial tenants were moving into office spaces.

NP3.jpg

NP2.jpg

NP4.jpg

Edited by JanionGuy, 16 February 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• todd and janionconcierge like this

#2371 Janionian

Janionian
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hi all, there are smudges and streaks and fingerprints all over the glass in my bathroom I'm assuming from the trades, has anyone discovered how to clean them? I've tried paint thinner, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide, no luck.

I have to same problem. Unfortunately, I and haven't solved it either, just commiserating

#2372 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Try a magic eraser?

Also if you love magic erasers you can buy a bag of knockoff ones from amazon for like $4.

#2373 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

Try a magic eraser?

Also if you love magic erasers you can buy a bag of knockoff ones from amazon for like $4.

Better not feed that stuff to your baby...

https://www.theguard...-death-sentence

#2374 Comoxer

Comoxer
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

I have to same problem. Unfortunately, I and haven't solved it either, just commiserating

I had the same problem but finally was able to make the frosted glass look clean using elbow grease. Like REALLY scrub hard. That's what worked in the end for me.

On an unrelated note, has anyone mounted a TV in the building? I'm in heritage and seems wall is concrete behind drywall amd since I'm mounting near electrical panel I'm a wee bit nervous...

#2375 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

I

On an unrelated note, has anyone mounted a TV in the building? I'm in heritage and seems wall is concrete behind drywall amd since I'm mounting near electrical panel I'm a wee bit nervous...

What some people are doing is mounting a large piece of melamine to the wall, similar to the cabinets.  then mounting the TV bracket is alot easier.  

#2376 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

I had the same problem but finally was able to make the frosted glass look clean using elbow grease. Like REALLY scrub hard. That's what worked in the end for me.

Cut out a patch of drywall where you know it'll be covered back by TV and have a look-see what's back there and best way to attach, using a dental mirror.  I'm guessing that drywall ain't that close to concrete.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2377 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:46 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if this thread still belongs under Heritage... seems more like Problems living in new developments/micro condos
  • Nparker and Jill like this

#2378 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if this thread still belongs under Heritage... seems more like Problems living in new developments/micro condos

I'd think full closure might come when the project is actually completed....bring on the plaza and the commercial tenants! I still rely on the intrepid chroniclers here to share knowledge and photos of what's going on. 

Can someone please remind me - was it mentioned somewhere that the plaza had to/should/might complete with 6 months of occupancy being granted?

#2379 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

The many confessionals of the Church of St. Janion.

Confession_LR.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker, Janion Fan and 3 others like this

#2380 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

Is anybody at the Janion interested in opening a restaurant? This space is ready to go, right on the water.

"An impeccably maintained Victoria gem, this property consists of a beautifully appointed and fully built out restaurant space and 3 smaller commercial units. The opportunity exists to combine some or all of the units to create a max contiguous space of 5,125 square feet. 4,614 SF patio space situated directly on the upper Selkirk waterfront offering stunning unobstructed views of Victoria's waterways."

• Nparker and Matt R. like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users