BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#2421 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Perhaps I am an anomaly, but I'd rather not be doing dishes and laundry when I travel for leisure and relaxation. Traveling for work is another matter. I look to be pampered when I am on vacation and happily pay others to do things I have to do for myself when I am home.

I really think if you decided to go to one city for 3 weeks or a month, you'd love a place that's a little more a home.  I admit it might not work for me, I've never, as an adult, stayed in one city on vacation for more than a few days.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2422 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Perhaps I am an anomaly, but I'd rather not be doing dishes and laundry when I travel for leisure and relaxation. Traveling for work is another matter. I look to be pampered when I am on vacation and happily pay others to do things I have to do for myself when I am home.

You're not an anomaly, (that i know of), and i totally get the vacation "leave the cleaning and cooking to somebody else" but alot of Airbnb users don't need pampering (and prefer it that way) even when on vacation.  They prefer to prepare their own meals, at their own time, with their choice of ingredients while travelling.  This is just one example of the choice offered by a well equipped rental unit.  Add business users who are tired of eating in restaurants (i know a few) and just want a private place to stay, a "home away from home" so to speak.  While some may call it the "Janion Hotel", it's not a hotel.  It's a building owned by owners, some of whom choose to rent out using various methods, and may of which live in their Janion condo.  

#2423 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

I really think if you decided to go to one city for 3 weeks or a month, you'd love a place that's a little more a home...

For longer stays and assuming I was traveling with someone else, then yes I might want the option of being able to "fend for myself". This is why I love to cruise...it's like staying in a 4-star resort that keeps moving to new locations.

And in order to avoid derailing this thread any further, I am sure those who choose to stay at the Janion will enjoy their time there.

#2424 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

A 4 star resort with norovirus and privileges of being herded around like livestock and being constantly separated form your money.

#2425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

A 4 star resort with norovirus and privileges of being herded around like livestock and being constantly separated form your money.

Never in the more than a dozen times that I have cruised have I ever had an experience even remotely like that.

#2426 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

noro is on every-ship they try not to tell to many people ..they get quarantined for 2 or 3 days.

Well you are one of the rare few then if you dont spend money on a cruise.but you are however forced to pay the daily tip rate for each person in your party. No way out of that

#2427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

noro is on every-ship they try not to tell to many people ..they get quarantined for 2 or 3 days.

Well you are one of the rare few then if you dont spend money on a cruise.but you are however forced to pay the daily tip rate for each person in your party. No way out of that

I am not going to derail this thread any further, except to say I have always immensely enjoyed every cruise I have taken, I have never been the slightest bit ill, and I have never felt I was charged more than I should for the quality of service I have received.

• Hotel Mike, lanforod and Daveyboy like this

#2428 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

I really think if you decided to go to one city for 3 weeks or a month, you'd love a place that's a little more a home. I admit it might not work for me, I've never, as an adult, stayed in one city on vacation for more than a few days.

But the thing is I stay at a place in Cabo thar does it all. I have a small kitchen or a large ( depending on if we get a one or two bedroom) and full on daily made service. Realistically, we cook breakfast, eat lunch poolside, then go into town for dinner. I really don't know how people can supposedly get tired of eating out?
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2429 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hi, I just read this on the JSB REPLACEMENT thread and I'm wondering if anyone has any info/input in response to the question posed by the poster - i.e. Any updates on the Janion Plaza? 

Will these Road Improvements incorporate the Plaza? Any guesses or, even better, concrete info (no pun intended)

Posted Today, 10:27 AM

Johnson Street Bridge Project – East Side Road Improvements Start Next Week

Starting Monday, March 20, eastbound drivers and cyclists can expect daytime congestion and delays when travelling across the Johnson Street Bridge, as work commences on new road approaches between the Johnson Street Bridge and Wharf Street.  The work involves completing curb, gutter and paving work, and is expected to last approximately five weeks.  Crews will be working from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday.

http://www.victoria....-next-week.html

At least the roadway aspects continue to move forward. Any updates on the Janion Plaza? Is that almost done yet?

#2430 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

The JSB quarterly report posted today says it should be done at the end of March.  Seems a tad wishful to me, looking at the site currently.

#2431 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Plaza progress...

Still no MUP railings - unless they've just given up on a proper design and decided the wooden old frontier look is good enough.   :farmer:

33370051401_25e07fdd0c_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 17 March 2017 - 02:08 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#2432 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

1/4ly report from today says they won't go in until June because they need to be synced with electrical work.

#2433 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Are those lamps new? I'm trying to wrap my head around it all.

I'm thinking, the road will be just the other side of those two lamps then, on the inside of the where the two lamps are, will be paving stones, which will run from them, all the way to the Pandora entrance of Janion.

The wide cement area that now leads to the gravel area will be the pedestrian walkway and/or cycle-way that runs alongside the road/bridge.

Have I got it right? Are there any proper plans, anywhere, which show it in detail? 

#2434 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

....Are there any proper plans, anywhere, which show it in detail? 

I'd love to see such if they exist!

#2435 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

No plans, anywhere, hmmmmm, are they just making it up as they go along then :oD ? 

#2436 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

...are they just making it up as they go along...

The bridge, the plaza or both?  :wacko:

#2437 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Open house tomorrow....anyone going? http://www.sellvicto...-details/375528

$799k but, large by Janion standards at 859 square feet, includes parking. I'd ask them to throw in the furnishings - beautiful IMO!

#2438 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

$799k but, large by Janion standards at 859 square feet, includes parking. I'd ask them to throw in the furnishings - beautiful IMO!

you wouldn't need cable with that view, just watch the people and cars go by

is it privacy glass?

#2439 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

you wouldn't need cable with that view, just watch the people and cars go by

is it privacy glass?

It is an interesting view. I'd certainly want it to be one-way though!

#2440 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Not much living room in the living room. No dining room, for $800K
I don't want to dine "at the bar" or standing up. IMO it would be a great bachelor pad for a young person. But 800 bills is a lot for anyone under 35 or 40.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users