BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#1641 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:33 AM

There used to be a nice looking train station on the south side of the Janion

• Rebecca K likes this

#1642 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:39 AM

There used to be a nice looking train station on the south side of the Janion

At one time the E&N had their offices in the Janion.

http://carlykb.com/gateway/?p=924

Edited by Bingo, 02 November 2016 - 05:41 AM.

#1643 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:44 AM

Yes they had some in there but not the whole building (Janion)

There was a train station that sat on the south side from 1888 to about 1947

After Cormorant St was renamed to Pandora about 1950 the train station building was altered into a plain looking building 2 storey building form the original 1 storey.

When it was rebuilt in 1950 it gave E&N even more office space. This second building on the site was painted red and white and not visually appealing

#1644 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

Those of you expecting to take possession of your Janion units must be getting incredibly excited right about now :)

What's also neat is the 595 Pandora project (sales starting soon) will be getting its occupancy permits more or less at the same time. That's going to have a major effect on that part of town, for sure.

Chinatown-aerial-2.jpg

Symbol of Chinatown's renewal, Janion Hotel restoration nears completion
http://victoria.citi...ars-completion/

Nowhere have the effects of downtown Victoria’s urban revival been as transformative as throughout history-rich Chinatown.

The area’s 19th century charm, traditionally home to an eclectic community of artists, musicians and students, is today considered one of the most diverse and sought out neighbourhoods in all of Victoria as developers pour millions of dollars into heritage restoration and real-estate development efforts.

And with one of the City’s most anticipated heritage reclamations nearing completion – only a short time ago serving as an unfortunate example or urban neglect – the century-old Janion Hotel development has become immortalized as an iconic architectural asset.

“Victorians have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of the refurbished and restored Janion, and I’m so proud to say it’s nearly ready for its unveiling,” said George Wong, president of Magnum Projects, the marketing firm responsible for the Janion’s historic near sell-out on the first day of its sales launch back in 2013.

“What we realized when we began marketing the Janion development, was just how special the building is to Victorians, how special Chinatown is to the greater community.” [Full article]

• JanionGuy, Janion Fan and Rebecca K like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1645 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

A newer aerial photo would be nice.  :P

#1646 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

Do you guys think this is the lobby's finished flooring?:

I knew i recognized those tiles.  They were part of the original design, and were part of the 2013 website renderings.  This photo is a rendering of the top floor common area.  Voila!  Floor tiles:

CommonArea1.jpg

• Janion Fan and Rebecca K like this

#1647 Comoxer

Comoxer
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

I knew i recognized those tiles.  They were part of the original design, and were part of the 2013 website renderings.  This photo is a rendering of the top floor common area.  Voila!  Floor tiles:

CommonArea1.jpg

Nice pick up. And to Mike K., thanks for posting that article (which I presume you wrote?). Yes, definitely SUPER excited. It's been hard to really have a realistic idea of what such small square footage will feel like so it will be nice to actually have a look next week! I'll hopefully have some photos to post.

• Janion Fan likes this

#1648 Janionian

Janionian
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

GOPR0664.JPG I got to see my unit today! I'm a little disappointed with the window/wall/shelf placement (it looks like a mistake), but otherwise really pleased. Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/1dhNw

• sebberry, JanionGuy, Janion Fan and 1 other like this

#1649 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

1888 to about 1949 was torn down

then replaced with the next 2 storey building

then on the south side of the trains station there used to be the slingers building

To get your bearings here...... in the distance is the old salvation army building and to its left you can see Waddington Alley

Edited by HB, 02 November 2016 - 09:41 PM.

• Nparker, JanionGuy and Rebecca K like this

#1650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

Don't ask me why, but that pretty, original E&N building made me think of the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

fb-visit-main.jpg

• Janion Fan and Rebecca K like this

#1651 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

GOPR0664.JPGI got to see my unit today! I'm a little disappointed with the window/wall/shelf placement (it looks like a mistake), but otherwise really pleased. Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/1dhNw

Congrats Janionian! Thanks for sharing the pics. Love that ceiling. You must be so pleased and excited.

Can I ask what the square footage of yours is? The only apartments I've seen so far are the one is the sales office, which was 240sq.ft. (I think?) and the few pics shared here last week from another walk-through in the new building. Just over a week to my walk-through and, still trying to wrap my head around how the space will feel.

#1652 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:11 AM

Oh wow, what's with that ceiling? That's pretty cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1653 Janionian

Janionian
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

Congrats Janionian! Thanks for sharing the pics. Love that ceiling. You must be so pleased and excited.

Can I ask what the square footage of yours is? The only apartments I've seen so far are the one is the sales office, which was 240sq.ft. (I think?) and the few pics shared here last week from another walk-through in the new building. Just over a week to my walk-through and, still trying to wrap my head around how the space will feel.

It was supposed to be 256, but I did a rough measurement when I was there, and I think it's less than that. It's pretty close to what the show suite was.

• Janion Fan likes this

#1654 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:10 AM

Not satisfied with the tremendous efforts the developer has made to restore and reinvigorate the Janion property, in typical Victoria fashion, a local is playing the "tourists" card to mock the mural being created on the northern facade.

The photo of a sign artist painting on quoins (corner rustication) on the façade of the renovated Janion Building is a sad indictment of the shortcomings of many restorations of legacy buildings downtown. Tourists flock to the Old Town because they want to see “slow architecture”— buildings made of rusticated stone and real, textured brick, things that slow down the eye and make it linger on the details. “Brick wallpaper” is a sorry substitute, but the tourists won’t tell you that. If you build it, they simply won’t come...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.R9jKD6dY.dpuf

I'd be curious to know how many tourists flocked to Victoria specifically to see the Janion during its 40 years as a boarded-up, decaying mess?

Edited by Nparker, 03 November 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#1655 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'd be a bit surprised if many can get $1400 for their suites...  Dominion Rocket starts at $795.

http://victoria.crai...5856971911.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1656 Janionian

Janionian
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

Oh wow, what's with that ceiling? That's pretty cool.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that ceiling...or the exposed brick! But I think I'll like both once I get used to the idea

• Mike K. likes this

#1657 Comoxer

Comoxer
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Looking great Janionian! I love the exposed brick and am hoping we also have some in our unit which is also heritage side. Less than a week now...

#1658 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

I'd be a bit surprised if many can get $1400 for their suites...  Dominion Rocket starts at $795.

http://victoria.crai...5856971911.html

That craigslist listing is a bit misleading (where is the photo of a below-the-road balcony?). and It is full of errors.

For instance:

"The developer says it will be ready for occupancy on Nov 15th"  The developer is suggesting late Nov, but has not committed.

"Pine laminate flooring"  not!

"electric throughout"  wow, now that's modern living!

"waterfront walkway that extends, so far, around to the Canoe Club"    nope, not yet.  

"a gym and workout area"  amenity space is available, but a gym is only one idea and nowhere near reality

"a bike stall for each suite that can serve as a storage area"  I doubt code or strata will allow bike lockers to be used a storage.

Edited by JanionGuy, 03 November 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#1659 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

Clearly written by a salesman.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1660 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:44 AM

Clearly written by a salesman.

For which truth is a very flexible matter.  ;)

Edited by Nparker, 03 November 2016 - 08:44 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users