Victoria HarbourCats - Collegiate league at Royal Athletic Park

• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

New collegiate baseball franchise signs three-year deal to play at Royal Athletic Park

The West Coast League, featuring top U.S. collegiate NCAA players in summer baseball, will announce Wednesday it has awarded Victoria a franchise that will begin play at Royal Athletic Park for the 2013 season.

“The City of Victoria and the league have worked hard to put a package together that will work for the people of Victoria. We have reached that point,” said WCL president Ken Wilson...

An "award-losing" VV reporter will be at the press conference to get details.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

18-19 year old kids. How much better can this be than the good ball currently being offered at Lambrick / Henderson Park?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

18-19 year old kids. How much better can this be than the good ball currently being offered at Lambrick / Henderson Park?

50 players drafted into the bigs from this league, this year? These guys are very good.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'll wait for the coveted "VV Seal of Approval" before I plunk down my hard earned sheckles! :) :thumbsup:

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

3 year agreement with the City.
There will be a name-the-team contest.

Owners are:
Dwight Willett
John McLean - a partner at Ansera Capital Partners, Vancouver

Ken Wilson is a former St. Louis Blues broadcaster, Mariners part-time broadcaster, and president of the WCL:

President's message: http://www.wccbl.com/about.php?

#6 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

This is awesome news. I will most likely be in line for season tickets if/when they become available. Glad to see baseball back in RAP.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Sorry, I ran out the door without grabbing my camera:

From L-R: City of Victoria's Katie Josephson at the podium, Ken Wilson (president of the WCL), owner John McLean, owner Dwight Willett, and Mayor Dean Fortin.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Meh just as bad as the WHL at the Arena. I mean at least it is baseball so I will most likely actually go to some games... But I will not be as excited as I was with the Seals. What we really need is some AA.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I'll take what I can get right now since a minor league team isn't likely any time soon. At least we aren't being screwed out of a minor league team, as with the WHL and the Royals.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

True.

It has a whole new look!

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

My guess is that they make it part way through the second season before they fold and that the City never sees a dime in actual cash as they will defer payment like they did with RG.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

http://www.timescolo...2386/story.html

New collegiate baseball franchise signs three-year deal to play at Royal Athletic Park

By Cleve Dheensaw, timescolonist.com June 13, 2012 4:32 PM

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Anybody else find it peculiar (or poor) that they got all this free hype over the last three days, and they didn't bother to take 15 minutes and $50 to have someone make a 1-page website where they could capture fans' email addresses, those that wanted to sign up for a newsletter or season-ticket notification in the future, or for an alert when a name-the-team contest starts?

Groupon pays anywhere from $12 to $30 to get email addresses, and they could have got lots for free.

Marketing fail.

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Anybody else find it peculiar (or poor) that they got all this free hype over the last three days, and they didn't bother to take 15 minutes and $50 to have someone make a 1-page website where they could capture fans' email addresses, those that wanted to sign up for a newsletter or season-ticket notification in the future, or for an alert when a name-the-team contest starts?

Groupon pays anywhere from $12 to $30 to get email addresses, and they could have got lots for free.

Marketing fail.

Forget the $50, they could have done up a facebook fan page for free in 1/2 the time!

#15 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I didn't think of that, but I was thinking that if they want to hit those attendance figures (1100+) they will need some half-decent marketing and merchandising. Think Royals level marketing. Baseball isn't exactly soaring in popularity these days, especially not in Canada.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

BC and certainly southern BC are pretty different than the rest of Canada. Especially with baseball.

It has a whole new look!

#17 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

BC and certainly southern BC are pretty different than the rest of Canada. Especially with baseball.

This is true, but it certainly doesn't let them off the hook when it comes to marketing. If they want people to show up next summer, they should start building some hype soon-ish rather than later. A naming contest might do the trick.

Speaking of which, anyone have any good name ideas?

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Forget the $50, they could have done up a facebook fan page for free in 1/2 the time!

I've taken the liberty to start one.

https://www.facebook...riabaseballfans

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I think we have some more news tomorrow.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

11am press conference at RAP. I'll report back.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users