Photo

Victoria HarbourCats - Collegiate league at Royal Athletic Park

• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

#21 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Please - anything is better than what we have had in the past. Of all of the names out there the best that they could come up with were - "the Seals" and "the Mussels"
Really?

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

OK, submit your team names ideas. The first 250 submissions receive 2 free tickets to any 2013 season home game.

NAME THE TEAM HERE > > http://www.victoriabaseballclub.com/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

I already submitted "Victoria Secrets", so don't waste your ballot.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Mine was in at 7:30am so hopefully should be one of the first ones!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Holly Jones is the new General Manager of Victoria's newest (as yet unnamed) baseball team, that begins play in June 2013.

HSVkUiaEGeE

www.victoriabaseballclub.com

She has a background in sales in the NBA office in New York, as well as with JetBlue and the Corvalis teams in the WCL.

GMs in this league aren't really the player-personnel people, they are the marketing and general operations people.

#26 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I already submitted "Victoria Secrets", so don't waste your ballot.

As it is a tacit requirement that any new anything in BC incorporate a First Nations theme into it, I put forward a tried and true baseball name: The Victoria Indians. :D

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

They have received over 250 name submissions now.

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Oh boy, that might mean I get some tickets. My suggestion was "Victoria Blaze"

I know it's a little lame but I like team names that do not end with the letter S.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Oh boy, that might mean I get some tickets. My suggestion was "Victoria Blaze"

I know it's a little lame but I like team names that do not end with the letter S.

Interesting, as mine was "Victoria Blazes". Lol.

#30 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Interesting, as mine was "Victoria Blazes". Lol.

Thank you my friend...an excellent choice...unfortunately we have both lost. The name game is a ruse. Let's wait and see..

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Having given further thought...."Blazes"...means that they have already won....I like that.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Press release...

VICTORIA BASEBALL CLUB TO UNVEIL NAME AND LOGO

Victoria, BC - Owner John McLean and General Manager Holly Jones invite members of the media and the public to the unveiling of the Victoria Baseball Club's official team name and logo.

Date: Friday, October 12, 2012
Time: 11:30 AM
Where: The Shark Club Bar & Grill, Sandman Hotel, 2852 Douglas Street, Victoria B.C

Please join us as the team name and logo is unveiled on the Shark Club’s 30 plus television screens. Refreshments, ballpark “smokies” and light appetizers will be served.

#33 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have a good feeling about this franchise and more especially about the WCL. People whining for "adult/AA ball" are dreaming. The two teams that have failed (Capitals and Seals) really didn't fail at all in terms of attendance, the leagues were completely unsustainable. Geographic footprint from Hawaii to Mexico, anyone? Salaries, plane flights?

Even if someone (Langford) put up a purpose-built ballpark, no way would we get Northwest League (A ball) attendance figures (ranging from 1629 to 4734 per game). With WCL we have young guns playing in a bus league, not unlike the WHL, but collegiate age as opposed to high school, lots of good draft picks, as has been pointed out. The season is compressed (so no more freezing our asses at RAP in May) and attendance ranges from 419 to 1,820. Very sustainable, in my view. Holly the GM seems to have made a positive impression so far (the baseball blogger in town wants to marry her I think). My feeling is they'll be here a while.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

Holly the GM seems to have made a positive impression so far (the baseball blogger in town wants to marry her I think).

You know what, a lot of us left that first press conference thinking the same thing, it's very hard to describe the vibe she gives off, but it's very striking.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

^^ I disagree. WHile I am going to be happy enough with this. I think Victoria could easily support a AA team. The Seals had the attendance to make it work alone and with the better product turn out would have been better. The only that would have to change is the venue. RAP would work it would just need significant improvements.

Still Iwill be going to a couple of these games next year.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

^^ I disagree. WHile I am going to be happy enough with this. I think Victoria could easily support a AA team. The Seals had the attendance to make it work alone and with the better product turn out would have been better. The only that would have to change is the venue. RAP would work it would just need significant improvements.

Still Iwill be going to a couple of these games next year.

There isn't an appropriate AA league for Victoria though; only the Southern, Texas and Eastern leagues.

I'm excited for the WCL and I think it's a great level of baseball for Victoria. I hate to say it, but not having to pay the players means this team has a decent shot at being successful.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

I gotta be honest with you, baseball is one sport that lends itself well to good play, even in lower skill levels. ie. it doesn't show so much.

You watch lower-level hockey, and it can be chippy play, and lots of loose pucks and incomplete passes.

But I don't think you see low batting averages or high error-rates, or less double-plays in this level of bball, compared to the bigs. If anything, some of the base-running is iffy (not conservative), but that ADDS to the excitement for me.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

HarbourCats!

#39 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

It's definitely unique.

#40 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I don't love it, but I also don't hate it. I consider that a win.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users