Victoria HarbourCats - Collegiate league at Royal Athletic Park

• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

#461 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

Almost zero baseball knowledge talking but why would that be? Other than upper-body strength for batting/throwing I don't see the advantage.

I disagree with VHF that pitcher is the only feasible position for a woman in baseball. Pitching is the easiest, particularly for a knuckleballer, but a woman could do any position I think. There is a massive cultural issue here which is why it is so rare though. Women are simply steered away from playing baseball.

• tedward and shoeflack like this

#462 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

I disagree with VHF that pitcher is the only feasible position for a woman in baseball. Pitching is the easiest, particularly for a knuckleballer, but a woman could do any position I think. There is a massive cultural issue here which is why it is so rare though. Women are simply steered away from playing baseball.

Ya, I might not have said it quite right.

Ichiro Suzuki is/was 5-11 and 175 pounds.

Claire Eccles is 5.675853 feet and 121.254 pounds.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

You mean for safety reasons?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#464 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

You mean for safety reasons?

Not safety, but strength.  In any field position, she would need to bat.  In the WCL she can pitch, and not bat, we have a designated hitter.  I mean, theoretically you could have a dynamite female infielder or outfielder that could do well, but I think she'd still struggle hitting.  You need bat speed, to get it around after you decide it's a good ball.  If you do not have that strength, you have to decide too early.  It would not be pretty.  And you can not have your fielder bunt every time, that gets old/known.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#465 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

The primary reason why the American League adopted the DH rule was because pitchers were essentially automatic outs, and that was causing boredom in the game which resulted in lower attendance. And that's male pitchers who would have grown up building hitting strength (little league doesn't use the DH rule).

There are certainly some pitchers out there who are incredibly talented hitters, but most just don't focus on that skill at the pro level. Other arguments out there are that women aren't fast enough, but I think anyone who has seen Pablo Sandoval or David Ortiz run could easily refute that argument.

#466 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

There would be plenty of women who could hit fast and hard enough to compete with the men. I still say its far more of a cultural issue.

#467 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

There would be plenty of women who could hit fast and hard enough to compete with the men. I still say its far more of a cultural issue.

But there are over 1,500 men in MLB and AAA minor ball, but not a single woman.  Same again with hockey, basketball, and football.   If there was just one that could compete, she'd be playing.  Sorry, there are physical differences that can't be overcome.  Same as elite running.  Women are consistently 10% slower from 40 yards, right up to the marathon.

#468 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

I agree for many sports, that is the biggest factor. Baseball though? I think the biggest factor is the cultural issues. Physicality plays far less in baseball compared to strategy and little things that women can pickup just as easy as men.

#469 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

I agree for many sports, that is the biggest factor. Baseball though? I think the biggest factor is the cultural issues. Physicality plays far less in baseball compared to strategy and little things that women can pickup just as easy as men.

Have you ever faced a 85+ mph pitch though?  The guys throwing in the WCL are only 5mph less than the guys in the majors.  If you can not get that bat around fast, that ball is by you.  You need that strength.  Again, unless you bunt every time.  Defence will catch on to that awful quick.

#470 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

I disagree. Women are weaker, smaller and slower. That's just science. Baseball is all about strength and speed. Being slower, weaker and smaller is a huge disadvantage.

In the 100m sprint, the fastest women are a full second (+10%) slower.

Take tennis, for instance. Serena Williams is by far the greatest female tennis player in the world. I bet the top 200 ranked men in the world would beat her quite easily in a match.

Physicality doesn't play a role in baseball? Do you follow baseball at all? Look at the size of these players. The average MLB player nowadays is built like a tank and incredibly strong. The average MLB player is 6'2" and pushing 200 pounds. That's a big lady! Pitchers are routinely 6'4" and 6'5" and 220, 230 with very long legs and arms. Why do you think it's such a big deal that Marcus Stroman is so good at a modest 5'8", 180 lbs? Because that's pretty much unheard of nowadays.

Sure it's possible that the Danica Patrick of baseball comes along and makes an impact, but there is much more than cultural issues holding women back.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#471 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Have you ever faced a 85+ mph pitch though?  The guys throwing in the WCL are only 5mph less than the guys in the majors.  If you can not get that bat around fast, that ball is by you.  You need that strength.  Again, unless you bunt every time.  Defence will catch on to that awful quick.

I have! Off a pitching machine. Super duper difficult. Very, very hard to get the bat around fast enough.

#472 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Anyway, the 'Cats and Eccles are getting some good mileage out of this story. There was even a spot on Bleacher Report where it was noted that Eccles is not just a knuckleball pitcher. She also throws a fastball and curveball. Her fastball only reaches about 76mph, which is very slow at this level. It was noted on mlb.com that she will pitch out of the bullpen.

http://bleacherrepor...n-a-knuckleball

http://m.mlb.com/cut...st-woman-to-wcl

#473 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Take tennis, for instance. Serena Williams is by far the greatest female tennis player in the world. I bet the top 200 ranked men in the world would beat her quite easily in a match.

"During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily.""

Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle.

I will note, however, that the sisters were teenagers at the time and have greatly improved since then.

#474 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I totally forgot about that shoe! Thanks for the blast from the past.

#475 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Anyway, the 'Cats and Eccles are getting some good mileage out of this story. There was even a spot on Bleacher Report where it was noted that Eccles is not just a knuckleball pitcher. She also throws a fastball and curveball. Her fastball only reaches about 76mph, which is very slow at this level. It was noted on mlb.com that she will pitch out of the bullpen.

http://bleacherrepor...n-a-knuckleball

http://m.mlb.com/cut...st-woman-to-wcl

Didn't we have a female pitcher a few years ago? I seem to recall the same sort of media frenzy. There was a female pitcher that pitched against the Victoria seals several years back but I thought that we had one as well at some point.

Edited by spanky123, 26 May 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#476 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

I have! Off a pitching machine. Super duper difficult. Very, very hard to get the bat around fast enough.

I've never gone over 60mph on the batting machine and that's crazy enough.  I'm weak!

#477 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Didn't we have a female pitcher a few years ago? I seem to recall the same sort of media frenzy. There was a female pitcher that pitched against the Victoria seals several years back but I thought that we had one as well at some point.

Dunno. Back in the day, there was a female pitcher in the "negro leagues". Mamie Johnson was her name.

I've never gone over 60mph on the batting machine and that's crazy enough.  I'm weak!

Yeah, I couldn't get any decent hits. Though, after a while, you do begin to adjust.

#478 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

Eri Yoshida threw knuckleballs for Chico against the Seals.

http://vibrantvictor...eball/?p=108424

#479 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

The HarbourCats will play a 12-inning exhibition game this coming Tuesday.  $10 general admission at the gates.

#480 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

11-2 win in Port Angeles to start the season last night.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users