Photo

[Jubilee] Royal Jubilee Hospital Patient Care Centre | 32.5m | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

Civic

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I wonder if an average modern building could even support that much weight on its roof.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#382 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

I've been meaning to get down there and take some photos.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#383 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

I wonder if an average modern building could even support that much weight on its roof.

Doesn't it make you wonder if the concrete and brick shell couldn't have been renovated into something new.

#384 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

And for our next trick - getting an excavator onto the roof :P

That does look like pretty solid construction for the 1920s. I wonder how it would hold up in a large earthquake.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#385 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

^It would fall like a ton of bricks.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

South block has now been demolished and work begins on a surface parking lot under which multiple utilities will be installed as well.

Photo via Nathan Philps on VV's Facebook page.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'd like to take a quick moment to update the statement I posted yesterday. It turns out that the description that came along with the photo was incorrect and there will be no underground parking. However, a surface lot is being prepped in the above photo.

Know it all.

#388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

...a surface lot is being prepped in the above photo.

Ahhh in the grand Victorian tradition of tearing down heritage buildings to create parking lots. :whyme:

#389 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Ahhh in the grand Victorian tradition of tearing down heritage buildings to create parking lots. :whyme:

It was beyond reasonable repair and far beyond its useful life.

#390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

It was beyond reasonable repair and far beyond its useful life.

My point was more about the creation of surface parking lots than the fate of the old hospital buildings. Even a multi-level parking structure would be a step-up from what is being created.

#391 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

That's true, and a multi story parking lot is probably quite badly needed there.

#392 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

VIHA has done absolutely nothing to truly encourage staff to change their transportation mode share. I would oppose any parking structure until such time as VIHA actually does something serious with TDM.

#393 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

A multi-story parking garage was just built at the hospital several years ago. I wonder if it has the capacity for additional levels to be added?

Although from what I have noticed access to and from the garage is terrible.

#394 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

A multi-story parking garage was just built at the hospital several years ago. I wonder if it has the capacity for additional levels to be added?

Although from what I have noticed access to and from the garage is terrible.

One of the regions absolutely worst parking structures!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#395 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

I guess. Why say that?

#396 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

I guess. Why say that?

I really need to stop being so lazy and bring the laptop out....Have u tried to walk the internal stairs. They are not side by said inside the structure but on opposite sides. So you walk down one set of stairs, u must walk across the parkade to get to the next down. How to walk up.. ????

The turns one to the ramps are like hair pin turns with just enough room to make them. It just a mess.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#397 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

ah, sounds like the design was out-sourced to China

#398 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Have we seen these images of the EMP feasibility study before?
http://moorearchitec...as-of-practice/

On that page there are also some images of the motel-to-hotel proposal that never happened beside the Hotel Grand Pacific.

#399 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

hadn't seen those before, thanks

#400 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I've been spending too much time in the new patient care center as a family member is there and I must say it is a nice facility. It may not be the most beautiful thing from the outside (I don't mind the design - some hate it), but inside it is very modern, bright and has a lot of nice lounge areas to comfortably spend time with a sick loved one.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users