Brewery and the Beast - Festival of Meat

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Finally we're just one day away! I mentioned to a Seattle-based client that I was planning to attend a festival of meat and beer and she was absolutely astonished nothing similar was held in Seattle. Business opportunity, anyone?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Perfect timing with the beef recall and all... ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Ha, no beef recall here. :) There is absolutely zero XL or Cargill beef at this event, it was one of the rules.

In fact one of my fantastic sous chefs has done nearly ALL of the work for this event, and I'll only be there for a couple of hours as someone has to mind the shop on Sunday night.

Our little project, which entails over $1400 worth of Heritage Angus ribeye, has turned out better than I had hoped and in fact will be even better by the time it hits some applewood on the char broiler.

Matt.

#24 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

so how was it?

apparently a guy from Victoria who I met in Edinburgh is going

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

In a word Dylan it was wonderful.

Here are some shots from the day.

This one is Matt R's sous chef, Gabe, that did some wonderful cold smoke steak.

Here is a crowd shot.

The band was both funny and talented. Great tunes.

Another crowd shot with the stainless vats.

All in all a great time was had by everyone. Very respectful participants. Very well run by the venue staff.

There were so many beast chefs.....you could not possibly eat something from every provider...you would explode.

Did I mention that the beer selection was out of this world? I liked the Blue Buck the best.

The pictures were taken with my my new iPhone 5. (beats packing a camera now)

#26 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

thanks for the summary. wish I could have been there

#27 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

This was the most underpriced event I have ever been too. Free beer and cider, unlimited high quality meat, and live music for $40? Were they joking with the prices? We bid and won a silent auction for tickets next year for 52.50 a ticket. I think that is a good investment! (unless tickets are again $40 and beer is $5/glass)

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Looks like an event enjoyed by many!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for posting the photos, Sparky! That iPhone5 has some teeth, I see.

The event was beyond expectations. For a first time run they really couldn't have gotten things more "right."

It was great to meet several VV'ers for the first time, too!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Such a great event. Everything was really well organized and the food was amazing. Only wish I had more room in my stomach.

#31 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks to the Garrick's Head my wife and I got to enjoy this event! It was fantastic and I will make sure to get in early to buy tickets next time!:cheers:

It was so good I walked home feeling like I would explode if I had one more bite and I would have skipped dinner entirely except I had a family birthday to attend.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

My God, man, you had to partake in a meal after the event? I feel for you...

Know it all.

#33 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm literally still full from it right now. Haven't eaten since.

#34 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

It's worth mentioning that the organizer, Scott Gurney, does an exceptional job on the back end with his events. As you may or may not know, he also produces the event called Culinaire, which takes place at the Crystal Gardens for the past four years. He's also the GM at Darcy's pub and Upstairs, so is probably fairly busy with his day job.

That's not to say other events aren't also well organized of course, but Scott has a level of organization that makes things much easier for the vendors, such as myself.

Scheduled load-in times make it so everyone knows where to be and when, regular communication and email updates leave no surprises for either party, acute awareness of local statutes and regulations helps to ensure everyone is playing by the rules, which of course is in everyones best interests. A genuine pleasure to deal with.

Ticket buyers see a well produced, enjoyable event but often aren't aware of the months of planning and detail that go into pulling something like this off, and he is one of the best.

We had a fantastic time yesterday. We tend to bring out a different side of us than many people might expect to see at the restaurant (we do not normally use a bbq sauce fountain) and play to the crowd. I think the only complaint I heard yesterday was that the line up for free beer was too long. :) That's rough!

Matt.

#35 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

My God, man, you had to partake in a meal after the event? I feel for you...

Yeah, some salad and two bites of my mom's normally irresistible lasagna and I was pretty much done. :redface:

I can only imagine how much work this guy Scott and his crew put in. The event seemed to run like clockwork to us. Well done all around.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#36 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Was this the first one held? Will it be an anual event?

#37 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Yes and I expect yes. :)

Matt.

#38 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Thanks to the Garrick's Head my wife and I got to enjoy this event!

you are welcome. glad you enjoyed your self.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#39 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Aw yeah, got my presale tickets for this. 55$ this year, so it went up a fair bit, but it was definitely worth it last year.

Tickets for Brewery & The Beast VICTORIA go on sale Wed May 15th - Fans & Followers can buy presale tix on Monday May 13th at 10am on-line at http://ow.ly/kW4aE with presale promo code: meatfestyyj

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Website won't load! Website won't load!!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users