BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

Here's the latest update from Bosa/BlueSky:

St. Andrews.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#622 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

NPNA says:  

Hello everyone,

Thank you to those who came out last night for the proposal update and discussion about the St. Andrew's School property. We had 33 people in attendance, from at least three different neighbourhoods.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#623 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

4,000 people live in NP.

If 13 people came from other neighborhoods, then only 1/2 of one percent showed up from NP.

99.5% of North Park residents did not go to the meeting.  I hope the few that went don't derail this.

• Jared and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#624 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

...only 1/2 of one percent showed up from NP... I hope the few that went don't derail this.

Don't count on it. The NPNA gang have been known to make the JBNA look like major development boosters.

#625 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

It is too bad because the NPNA used to work to actually seek out the community voice and present that voice to the City rather than as it appears here, have an opinion and seek those in the community that share it. That is not how a neighbourhood association should run.
  • Baro likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#626 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

I realised the rendering posted above shows the Vancouver and Mason corner of the building, so it looks like the design hasn't changed. Who knows what's going on though

#627 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

It is too bad because the NPNA used to work to actually seek out the community voice and present that voice to the City rather than as it appears here, have an opinion and seek those in the community that share it. That is not how a neighbourhood association should run.

I think the problem here is that two long-time prominent members, and one recent active member of the association own property immediately adjacent, so it's hard for any of them to approach it without a negative bias.

When they bought their properties, there was no indication the school would ever leave. 

#628 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

So isn't that a major conflict of interest? Now can a neighbourhood association be commandeered by individuals who own property that is so close to a major redevelopment proposal?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#629 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

So isn't that a major conflict of interest? Now can a neighbourhood association be commandeered by individuals who own property that is so close to a major redevelopment proposal?

It wasn't really commandeered.  It just happened that two long-time members live there (one owns a business there too).

At best, regular NP meetings attract 9 or 10 people.  The AGM maybe 20.  I mean look, only 33 went to this last meeting about the project, and maybe as little as 20 from NP.

NPNA does good work, but this development is too close to too many members, and of course they are friends with the other members less affected.. 

#630 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

I have thought about joing the NPNA, but I don't want to be the lone voice of reason shouting in the dark.

#631 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

I realised the rendering posted above shows the Vancouver and Mason corner of the building, so it looks like the design hasn't changed. Who knows what's going on though

Phew. I worried that the project had been significantly degraded.

#632 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

It is a COI in my mind. If you cannot remained unbiased by a proposal than you need to recuse yourself. NA's are supposed to be seeking the honest sentiment of the community devoid of their personal thoughts on things. It can be hard but you have to do it. I used to be on a NA and I would just as gladly put forward negative thoughts of any community member no matter whether I agreed with them or not. They are supposed to be conduits to the City not rallying points for opposition.
  • Mike K. and sebberry like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#633 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

I have thought about joing the NPNA, but I don't want to be the lone voice of reason shouting in the dark.

Go on, we need someone on the inside! :)

• Rob Randall, Nparker and Mixed365 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

It is a COI in my mind. If you cannot remained unbiased by a proposal than you need to recuse yourself. NA's are supposed to be seeking the honest sentiment of the community devoid of their personal thoughts on things. It can be hard but you have to do it. I used to be on a NA and I would just as gladly put forward negative thoughts of any community member no matter whether I agreed with them or not. They are supposed to be conduits to the City not rallying points for opposition.

Exactly. But that's not happening here, too many on the NPNA are too close, personally, to this proposal.

The head of the Hallmark Society got into a little bit of hot water when he took a public stance against the Northern Junk project while head of the City's heritage advisory committee.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#635 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Why do we assume that owning property in close proximity should = opposition? If I owned property on Mason Street I'd be supporting this project like crazy.

#636 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

...If I owned property on Mason Street I'd be supporting this project like crazy.

You'd be in the minority when it comes to this project.

#637 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

You should definitely be joining soon, really soon. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#638 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

A public meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 26th to discuss the latest advancements with this project. Developer's contact email: mkopinya@bosaproperties.com

We invite you to attend one of the upcoming

NEIGHBOURHOOD INFORMATION MEETINGS

for 1002 - 1012 Pandora Avenue.

BlueSky Properties submitted an application to the City of Victoria

to redevelop the properties at 1002 - 1008 and 1012 Pandora Avenue

(the former St. Andrew’s Elementary School site). The rezoning and

development permit application proposes a mixed-use building, stepping

from four to six storeys in height and including 210 rental apartment units

with ground-floor commercial space below.

Since we started in 2012, the proposal has been revised to reflect feedback

from the City and the community. We are now hosting another series of

NEIGHBOURHOOD INFORMATION MEETINGS to share details of the

updated plans and to receive further feedback on some of the new ideas

we are considering.

Please drop in to review our display boards and project model, talk to

the project team, and provide your feedback. Please note that the same

information will be available at each session and that there will not be any

formal presentations, so feel free to join us when you can.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

DATE & TIMES:

1:00 PM - 3:00 PM and

5:00 PM - 7:00 PM

1002 Pandora Avenue

PLACE: Former St. Andrew’s Elementary School Gym

St-Andrews-1.jpg

St-Andrews-2.jpg

Know it all.

#639 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

I'll sharpen-up my pitchfork and make sure my torch is ready to go for next week.  :farmer:

• sebberry likes this

#640 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

Now I know why there aren't any people in that rendering for Cook Street Village. Everyone is at this place!

• Nparker and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)