BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#801 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

I'll go speak.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#802 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

I am no good at public speaking, but I will be submitting a letter of support, countering the position of the NPNA, to Council.

• johnk likes this

#803 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

I am no good at public speaking, but I will be submitting a letter of support, countering the position of the NPNA, to Council.

I'm no good either!  I'll PM you a video of me addressing berating council in 2010, classic.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#804 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

You should recite your letter. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#805 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

You should recite your letter. 

I believe Council takes such letters into their decision making process. I am not sure my stammering over the written words in a public forum would be of any additional use. I encourage everyone who supports this proposal to let the council know in whatever way is most comfortable for them.

• johnk likes this

#806 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

The latest from the farm on Facebook. This time they are paying to boost this post.
(Sorry I can't quote it from mobile.)

"PLEASE SHARE****IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE FUTURE OF MASON STREET FARM AND NORTH PARK NEIGHBOURHOOD*******A call to Action! It is now or never! Three and a half years of demanding a better plan without any real change to the development. We deserve ‪#‎abetterplan‬!! ‪#‎200strong‬ We need 200 people at City Hall Chambers on August 27th at 7pm! Please contact masonstreetfarm@gmail.com to lend your voice or your skills to our mobization efforts. We have transportation available to those that need a ride to City Hall. North Park and Mason Street Farm need you!
EMAIL YOUR CONTACT NAME AND PHONE NUMBER TO MASONSTREETFARM@GMAIL.COM IF YOU CAN COMMITT TO COMING ON AUGUST 27TH AT 7PM.
The public hearing for the Bosa Development has been set for Thursday August 27th at 7pm. We’re asking our supporters and friends to join us at a the Public Hearing and demand a better future for the city. There is strong opposition to the development but the developer represents a small, well-financed, minority. They have just hired a marketing team to convince Victoria that this development is a good tidea. Let’s show Council that we are a large, passionate community with a love for our city and a desire to see progressive developments that reflect our values. Please help us to spread the word, write letters and most importantly, show up for our city "on August 27th. Join us! We will have a bus waiting for you on Mason Street to bring you to City Hall. Send us your contact details if you plan on attending and if you would like to join our mobilization efforts. #abetterplan #200strong"

https://m.facebook.c...999160903481730

#807 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

My response to the Masonites: 

Guess what? I am also a long time member of the North Park community and I can assure you that at no time have I been influenced by any marketing team to support this development. I endorse what is proposed here because I truly feel this project will bring a new energy and have a positive impact on a part of the city seemingly neglected from the benefits other areas of the city have experienced. I intend to let Council know that in addition to supplying much needed rental housing stock, the redeveloped St. Andrew's will infuse MY neighbourhood with a new sense of pride and herald in an even brighter future.

• sebberry, Hotel Mike, tedward and 1 other like this

#808 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

What marketing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#809 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:12 AM

They have deleted your post NParker.

#810 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

They have deleted your post NParker.

Classy. Guess I'll have to re-post.

• todd likes this

#811 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

Deleted mine also AND blocked me from posting again.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#812 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

Deleted mine also AND blocked me from posting again.

I was blocked as well. Classless and cowardly.

#813 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

HA!  They must have hired the guys at CARS for some social media advice. 

First rule, block anyone who doesn't agree with you so they don't prove you wrong negatively impact your message.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#814 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

"...progressive developments reflecting our values..."
Seems like open discussion and exchange of views are not among their values. Authoritarianism with lipstick?

Edited by johnk, 11 August 2015 - 07:57 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#815 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:02 AM

Jeremy Loveday is quite active on Twitter.  If you want to reduce the likelihood the farmers kill this proposal I would recommend having supporters tweet him directly in support.

• sebberry likes this

#816 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

"...progressive developments reflecting our values..."
Seems like open discussion and exchange of views are not among their values. Authoritarianism with lipstick?

It sounds like they'd be happy with the tent city next door...

One of the things that's becoming common with these groups pushing for equality/peace/tranquility is their increasingly autocratic approach that pushes out all but those who hold the most extreme views aligning with their own. 

Even when you're part of the group they're trying to protect, if you speak out against the plan, you get shut down.  It's like Amanda Todd's mother speaking out against the cyber-bully bill saying parts of it go too far.  I wonder how the Masonites like being compared to Harper ;) 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#817 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

Well I think the mayor will be rational on the blowback, as in what is it specifically you want to be changed to have this meet your needs.  If it's just traffic coming off of Pandora instead of Mason, I wouldn't be surprised if that could be accommodated.  

If it's a desire to keep sunlight over a tiny garden in December, I doubt that's going to hold much weight with her.

Again if I was really interested in seeing this go through I would be much more concerned with ensuring Loveday is aware that it isn't all of NPNA that is against this, and if there's no more NA meetings between now and the 27th, I would think that's now going to be an uphill battle.

• Nparker likes this

#818 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

^ Nagel, the problem is Helps is only one vote at the table.

This development should be such a slam dunk that the opposition to it is almost funny. I say almost because the North Parkers could very well get this thing shut down.

To me, this is a strong to borderline excellent development. It will take a derelict, unused piece of land and turn it into vibrant, highly utilized homes, stores and workplaces. The arguments against this project are, for the most part, nonsensical.

The opposition is so emotional. Given the traditional demographics of the area, I have to assume there are extreme social and political beliefs that will not be swayed unless this thing turns into a not-for-profit flea market with social housing.

I want to go to the meeting. Anybody interested in meeting up beforehand? Sorry I can't give you a ride in a bus.

• Nparker and weirdie like this

#819 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

I'm sure they would be happy to block you on their Twitter account as well: @masonstreetfarm.

Maybe tweet them and see!

Edited by gumgum, 11 August 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#820 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

...I want to go to the meeting. Anybody interested in meeting up beforehand? Sorry I can't give you a ride in a bus.

I want to go, but need the moral support to know I am not going to get attacked by my North Park neighbours for not aligning with their "beliefs". I suspect at least one of the NIMBYS might even live in my building!  :eek:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users