Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4241 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

Bollards CAN be designed to lower and raise but I don't think any on Pandora have this functionality and I'm not sure why they would have it.

Solar powered because they illuminate. Making it easier to note the end of the concrete curbs presumably. Haven't driven Pandora in the dark lately so I'm not sure if this is actually an issue or how lit bollards would help.

Did you not go on TV a few months ago and point out the dangers of bollards on cycling trails? I seem to recall a few videos posted of cyclists crashing into bollards.

Have the designers not listened to that debate?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4242 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

Did you not go on TV a few months ago and point out the dangers of bollards on cycling trails? I seem to recall a few videos posted of cyclists crashing into bollards.
Have the designers not listened to that debate?

Oh my gosh, context people. These bollards prevent people from going into the lane from the side. They don't narrow the lanes AT ALL.

#4243 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

BUT the other bollards prevent things from entering as well?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4244 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

BUT the other bollards prevent things from entering as well?

Yes, which is a pro, but the cons outweigh that pro.  3 bollard setups at entrances to multi-use trails have resulted in a fairly significant number of injuries.  I'd rather the odd idiot car end up down the bike lane than restrict the opening to the trail.  Personally I have a larger bike and I'm not sure I'd fit, all loaded up.  These larger bikes are becoming much more common.

#4245 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

These larger bikes are becoming much more common.

Yup there must be what? 2 maybe 3 now?😄

#4246 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Yup there must be what? 2 maybe 3 now?

Funny.  I know a couple dozen people that have them, and I'm an introvert with a small social circle.  When I talk with my local bike shop about them, they cannot keep them in stock.  People make special trips to Seattle and Portland to pick them up.

I'd bet there's 2-300 in Victoria now and that will become 4 figures by the end of the decade.  Still a small % of the biking community but still a segment that needs to be considered in design.

• rjag likes this

#4247 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

Funny.  I know a couple dozen people that have them, and I'm an introvert with a small social circle.  When I talk with my local bike shop about them, they cannot keep them in stock.  People make special trips to Seattle and Portland to pick them up.

I'd bet there's 2-300 in Victoria now and that will become 4 figures by the end of the decade.  Still a small % of the biking community but still a segment that needs to be considered in design.

Just yanking your chain! I've seen a few in Oak Bay with the big wheelbarrow box in the front, seem really clumsy and not very maneuverable, but put an electric assist on the back wheel and it might be fun!

#4248 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

I haven't tried a bakfiets but I have tried some with the load on the front and there's definitely a learning curve to it.  I prefer my super tippy longtail.

#4249 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Bucket bike is the translation. We have one. Electric assist. Can haul a couple kids with groceries without anything on the tail side.

#4250 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Bucket bike is the translation. We have one. Electric assist. Can haul a couple kids with groceries without anything on the tail side.

Yes that's one big pro.  If I totally stuff a pannier, or bring both and don't equally distribute the weight, it's a dicey bike ride.

I hauled 5 loads of sod with the bike this week and that was also a bit tippy.

#4251 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

Yes that's one big pro.  If I totally stuff a pannier, or bring both and don't equally distribute the weight, it's a dicey bike ride.

I hauled 5 loads of sod with the bike this week and that was also a bit tippy.

You could have borrowed my old ranger, its my wheelbarrow with an engine

#4252 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

Kind of a *****/moan/rant but...

With the implementation of these bike lanes will there be any sequencing of the lights? It's pretty frustrating to lose all of your momentum at the end of every block. Even more so when you get stuck behind someone who doddles along and doesn't get up to speed in time to make the next light.

I know the point is the prevent downtown from becoming a racetrack for cars, but even if they were timed to allow a vehicle to accelerate to and maintain 30 km/h that would make a big difference.

#4253 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

I haven't tried a bakfiets but I have tried some with the load on the front and there's definitely a learning curve to it.  I prefer my super tippy longtail.

A tippy bucket bike hauling a couple of kids.  :confused:

#4254 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Kind of a *****/moan/rant but...

With the implementation of these bike lanes will there be any sequencing of the lights? It's pretty frustrating to lose all of your momentum at the end of every block. Even more so when you get stuck behind someone who doddles along and doesn't get up to speed in time to make the next light.

I know the point is the prevent downtown from becoming a racetrack for cars, but even if they were timed to allow a vehicle to accelerate to and maintain 30 km/h that would make a big difference.

Light sequencing in the City of Victoria? Surely you jest...

#4255 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

According to Helps, in excess of 1,500 people a day are using the Pandora bike lanes.

Edited by spanky123, 18 May 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#4256 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

According to Helps, in excess of 1,500 people a day are using the Pandora bike lanes.

Other than the GVCC could there be a more biased source?

How does this number compare to the number of cyclists before there were dedicated bike lanes? How does it compare to the number of pedestrians? Has it reduced the number of single-occupancy vehicles coming into the city? This figure needs context to have any meaning.

#4257 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yet if she said the number was 10 people a day, the anti-bike VV crowd would be hailing their failure.

Regardless of the number, it doesn't matter, because 18 days does not give enough time to show any indication of success or failure.

• Coreyburger, jonny, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#4258 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

...18 days does not give enough time to show any indication of success or failure.

agreed

#4259 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

I believe a permanent bike counter is going in at Vancouver and Pandora at some point.

#4260 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

As long as they dont hire John Luton to do the bike count. If anyone remembers his claim of 30,000 bike trips per day over the bridge or some outlandish number!

• Nparker and nagel like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users