Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4261 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Light sequencing in the City of Victoria? Surely you jest...

Yeah, kinda like how the lights on Blanshard are sequenced to stop you on every block on your way north. I wonder if they even considered the possible increase in speeding/accidents due to the anxiety this causes people heading for the ferries. But that's a rant for another thread...

• rjag and jonny like this

#4262 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

According to Helps, in excess of 1,500 people a day are using the Pandora bike lanes.

As somebody who gazes out onto said bike lanes daily while working at his desk ... that number is utter bollocks.

Politicians who quote "numbers" never quite have the same definition of the number "1500" as you and I might choose to define the number "1500".

• sdwright.vic and Midnightly like this

#4263 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

To be fair, I've seen an increase in the number of bicyclists on Pandora.  Meaning that on the regular occasions I've driven down Cook during the week and have observed the lanes, I used to see 0 bicyclists.  Now I see as many as 2-3 over the course of the week!

So I'd say it's working.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4264 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

Yes, which is a pro, but the cons outweigh that pro.  3 bollard setups at entrances to multi-use trails have resulted in a fairly significant number of injuries.  I'd rather the odd idiot car end up down the bike lane than restrict the opening to the trail.  Personally I have a larger bike and I'm not sure I'd fit, all loaded up.  These larger bikes are becoming much more common.

Wouldn't one thin bollard in the middle of the lane be enough to stop vehicles from turning into the lane and yet provide ample clearance for larger bikes?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4265 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

There's supposed to be at minimum 48-60 inches of clearance and the lanes are only 3 meters wide total (both lanes together) so putting one in the middle shrinks it to less than 1.5 meters. There would be bikes and trailers that would not fit or would just barely fit making it rather dangerous.

I think we will see less vehicular entry now that the parking bollards are in.

#4266 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

^So if two "large" bikes are riding in opposite directions they are not going to be able to get by each other? Sounds like they better work on restricting the size of bicycles in the lanes.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

I saw an electric scooter in the bike lane yesterday. Saw another one again today. Guy was going at a good clip, too, and he decided to take the lane when the vehicle lane he was in (along the 500-block) was clogged up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4268 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

I saw an electric scooter in the bike lane yesterday. Saw another one again today. Guy was going at a good clip, too, and he decided to take the lane when the vehicle lane he was in (along the 500-block) was clogged up.

Scooter folk make their own rules it seems... I was sitting at the light at MacKenzie and Highway 1 heading to Admirals when a gas-powered Honda Ruckus zoomed off the Goose, across the intersection and back on the Goose towards Uptown. No plate on the thing, dirty Hipster-type riding it. And Harley-Davidson riders think that they're the rebels! :rolleyes:  

#4269 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

maybe it wasnt gas powered maybe there was a clothes pin holding a hockey card to the spokes and it only sounded gas powered

• Mike K. likes this

#4270 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:59 AM

In the Times-Colonist today, in the driving section, a commentary on the bike lanes from a professional driving instructor.

#4271 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

was it an electric one with pedals? That's legal, then no?

#4272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

I looked for pedals but didn't see them. It sounded motorized.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4273 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

http://youtu.be/CT2EIL-5bKA

• Nparker, shoeflack and nerka like this

#4274 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

In the Times-Colonist today, in the driving section, a commentary on the bike lanes from a professional driving instructor.

Got a link? I wasn't able to find it.

#4275 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Got a link? I wasn't able to find it.

I don't think you can find it online for a few days.

The article deals with the pros and cons of the Pandora bike lane and it is worth the read if you have some concerns.

#4276 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

here is some BIKE **rn for Nagel and other bike types

Saw these items last night. Seems that the  homeless people in Victoria who steal and strip down bikes could build themselves some shelters like this then cover it with all the stolen clothes from Value Village to make it wind proof.

They could make sculptures like the OWL from the bike tires and sell as art work so that they have more money to buy drugs with.

• Nparker likes this

#4277 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

I don't think you can find it online for a few days.

The article deals with the pros and cons of the Pandora bike lane and it is worth the read if you have some concerns.

It's here;    http://www.timescolo...urve-1.20084413

• mbjj likes this

#4278 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

Was walking down Pandora the other day and noticed that the cops had a lineup of vehicles pulled over on Blanshard after they had made a right hand turn. Couldn't tell whether they were issuing fines or warnings but if it was the later I am sure that they could have paid for their budget increase pronto. The cyclists riding down the sidewalk without helmets and the ones darting across the street against a red light seemed to be getting a pass so maybe the answer is to drive around with a bike affixed to your rear bumper as a sort of 'get out of jail free' pass.

• On the Level likes this

#4279 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,228 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Was walking down Pandora the other day and noticed that the cops had a lineup of vehicles pulled over on Blanshard after they had made a right hand turn. Couldn't tell whether they were issuing fines or warnings but if it was the later I am sure that they could have paid for their budget increase pronto. The cyclists riding down the sidewalk without helmets and the ones darting across the street against a red light seemed to be getting a pass so maybe the answer is to drive around with a bike affixed to your rear bumper as a sort of 'get out of jail free' pass.

Or better yet, just ride the bike!

#4280 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

As a cyclist... l would welcome the police enforcing rules of the road on cyclists!  l do believe there is a general lack of awareness and courtesy with ALL road users out there (cyclists, drivers, pedestrians).  l see people doing dumb sh!t ALL the time!  lt's like everyone assumes that traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, cross walks, etc. are all optional.   Cyclists and Pedestrians are jsut as bad as Drivers when it comes to breaking the rules... only difference is they generally only put themselves in harms way, and its fairly unlikely that a cyclist or pedestrian actually causes significant harm to other users when doing so.

• nerka likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users