Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4621 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

I never see any more than 3 or 4 bikes in the lane.  While waiting to turn right onto Quadra today, there was one bike.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4622 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

The weather has warmed up, and I can't believe how many bikes I saw on my two drives between Victoria and Esquimalt.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4623 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

It is heartening to see so many more biking peoples on all the roads and sidewalks and parking lots and pretty much wherever they want to go, and not just sticking to the prescribed 'safe' zones.

#4624 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

I cross Pandora and Quadra or Vancouver every day, as an extremely impatient pedestrian the seemingly longer wait to cross due to the extra turn phase isn't great,  but the path is becoming quite well used.  Turning left as a bike still seems really bad and so many people don't bother to do it the bizarre official way, they just turn left like you would in normal "vehicular cycling" like a car.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4625 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

The work on Mackenzie between Cedar Hill Rd and Shelbourne has started in order to widen the functional right of way.  Work is occurring on the south side of the street.

#4626 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

UV index is 9 today.  That's nearly instant sunburn.  Enjoy those bike lanes!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4627 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

New lanes at Mckenzie/Borden.

19477595_754271844755815_520417826252346

Saanich photo

#4628 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

New lanes at Mckenzie/Borden.

19477595_754271844755815_520417826252346

Saanich photo

Love these new lanes - this is how all the on-street sections of the regional trails should be.

• lanforod likes this

#4629 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

Yet another "No right on red" should help with the traffic congestion. 

Why do the cyclists need Saanich staff there to help them figure it out?

#4630 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

This is a place that is really needed though. The volume of cyclists going through here is very high. I still think some sort of actually separated routing would have been better, but I don't see how to do that without spending 25 million.

#4631 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Not far from that intersection is the light at Quadra and the trail that has become a pain in the patoot for vehicles.

#4632 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Not far from that intersection is the light at Quadra and the trail that has become a pain in the patoot for vehicles.

It was easier when there was a train there?

• Bingo likes this

#4633 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

It was easier when there was a train there?

With a siding right into the old winery. The tracks were still visible between the buildings a few years ago.

#4634 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Can anyone tell me why the new bike crosswalks at Richmond and Lansdowne don't have green paint?  Or is there plan to do so?

#4635 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

^The green paint comes last. I noticed at the McKenzie area lanes they made a couple of minor corrections in the placement of the lane painting so I think they want to make sure everything is properly marked out before committing to the big green paint.

#4636 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Rob.  Was thinking as much, but the markings have been down for a while.  

#4637 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

Part were down, not nearly all.

And to the congestion post - Borden isn't congested save a literally a few minutes in school days.

Implementation seems really smooth so far.

#4638 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Came down Borden from Reynolds to turn left onto McKenzie, they covered the advance left turn so the cars coming towards you still have the advance left to head to UVic but not to head to Quadra, no signs indicating the advance was taken away so we sat and waited until the 2 way green goes and then compete with pedestrians and oncoming traffic. Took 2 light cycles for 4 cars to turn left at 3pm today when school is out. I suspect more traffic will flow over to Reynolds to now avoid this arterial intersection which is not designed for more traffic

#4639 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

Came down Borden from Reynolds to turn left onto McKenzie, they covered the advance left turn so the cars coming towards you still have the advance left to head to UVic but not to head to Quadra, no signs indicating the advance was taken away so we sat and waited until the 2 way green goes and then compete with pedestrians and oncoming traffic. Took 2 light cycles for 4 cars to turn left at 3pm today when school is out. I suspect more traffic will flow over to Reynolds to now avoid this arterial intersection which is not designed for more traffic

Don't ever go down Borden, unless you are going to Timmies or the liquor store.

Stay on Reynolds and turn right on Quadra and then stop at the light at the trail crossing for 20 minutes before heading for McKenzie to resume your journey.

• rjag likes this

#4640 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Nearly got taken down by an idiot doing about 50 on an escooter in the Pandora bike lane. He ran a red. Right in front of cops.

So I walked over to the cops who all saw him (some turned their heads to follow him). Anything they can do? Nope. A cop on a bicycle pointed out he couldn't catch the guy on a bicycle. So I pointed to a parked cop car. He said there are no speed limits posted for the bike lanes. And that was that.

Interesting, hey?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users