Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4701 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

http://www.icbc.com/...different_rules

#4702 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

...If it had a valid BC plate on it though that was not an ebike or assisted electric scooter. So it is not allowed in the bike lanes...

Well it was a licensed scooter that I saw in the Pandora bike lane around 11:15 this morning.

#4703 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqHv_l_4A4

• weirdie likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4704 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

I see a guy riding one of those electric scooters on the E and N rail trail all the time, definitely not allowed.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4705 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

I see a guy riding one of those electric scooters on the E and N rail trail all the time, definitely not allowed.

Are you sure they are not allowed?

https://crd.bc.ca/do...es.pdf?sfvrsn=0

#4706 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

^ licensed ones (eg. not speed limited to 32, but rather to 70) are not allowed on it. So it depends on what category this scooter LJ sees is.

#4707 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

Where is nagel these days?  We need this thing settled.

• thundergun likes this

#4708 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Bike lanes can be used by electric bikes provided they still meet the definition of electric bikes, which means pedals cannot be disabled and the motor governor is still in place. Most scooter-like ebikes I have seen don't meet this definitions.

#4709 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

^gee... were you on vacation? Wondering when you would finally jerp in.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4710 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Are you sure they are not allowed?

https://crd.bc.ca/do...es.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Yeah, I'm sure. These have no pedals at all, they look like a little Vespa but they are electrically powered.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

The opportunity to bid on the construction of the Fort Street protected bike lane ends on Thursday.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

The opportunity to bid on the construction of the Fort Street protected bike lane ends on Thursday.

Will this proceed even if all bids are well above budget - or will it be treated like the Douglas Street BRT lanes expansion?

#4713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

I would imagine the City of Victoria will attempt to push this through even if it comes in in excess of the budget. The bus lane was provincial money, and they know better than to send out a smoke signal indicating that the government is willing to play at any cost.

The City of Victoria, on the other hand, gave that signal when they move forward with the Pandora bike lane despite the huge increase in cost.

There was also one other government project that was recently sidelined due to high construction costs. Anyone remember what that was?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4714 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

So it's bikes before buses, even though the latter has the potential to move more people?

#4715 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

I would imagine the City of Victoria will attempt to push this through even if it comes in in excess of the budget. The bus lane was provincial money, and they know better than to send out a smoke signal indicating that the government is willing to play at any cost.

The City of Victoria, on the other hand, gave that signal when they move forward with the Pandora bike lane despite the huge increase in cost.

There was also one other government project that was recently sidelined due to high construction costs. Anyone remember what that was?

Second southbound turn lane on Millstream overpass.

So it's bikes before buses, even though the latter has the potential to move more people?

That's not a fair comparison. To Mike's point, it's two different governing bodies. Two different budgets.

#4716 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

^ah, that's it! Thanks shoe.

Let's do the math here on the Victoria bike lanes.

The City of Victoria has budgeted $7.75-million for a 5.4km protected bike lane network down several downtown corridors. This is just the first phase.

The first bike lane of the first phase, Pandora, was budgeted at $2.09-million in April of 2016, then adjusted to $2.99-million just as the tender went out in June. The winning (and only) bid was $3.23-million, 55% higher than the April estimate and 8% higher than the June estimate.

Out of that $7.75-million budget we've already spent $3.23-million on a single lane, leaving Wharf, Humboldt, Fort and Cook streets to share the remaining $4.52-million.

My guess at the cost of the Fort Street bike lane is $3.6-million.

Know it all.

#4717 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

...That's not a fair comparison. To Mike's point, it's two different governing bodies. Two different budgets.

So is it the city or the province that is contributing no money to the bike lanes on Fort?

#4718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

I think there is a provincial contribution to the overall budget, but I'm not sure just how much it actually is. But once the province ponies up cash it no longer has any so on whether the CoV accepts or rejects tenders. They've made their financial commitment and that's it.

Know it all.

#4719 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Well it's the same taxpayer regardless of which level of government is contributing the money.

Kind of like the Commonwealth Games. I am paying part of the Fed's $400 million, the Province's $400 million and any costs borne by the CoV and the CRD. It's a lose-lose-lose-lose proposition.

#4720 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

So while its all rainbows and unicorns with a 'must build whatever the cost' mantra, the rest of the roads are in terrible shape and only getting worse. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users