Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4981 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

Bike Lanes in Oak Bay moving forward
Full house at Municipal Hall as Oak Bay Council unanimously supports bike lanes
KERI COLESWed Oct 18th, 2017 7:30amLOCAL NEWSNEWS

Building bike lanes on Cadboro Bay Road from Foul Bay Road to Bowker Avenue is one of Oak Bay council’s strategic priorities. The council’s aim iss to create all-ages and all-access lanes.

A feasibility study was completed, identifying challenges and opportunities of different bike lane designs, based on the constraints of the current road width, traffic density, etc. Unfortunately, it became evident that the stretch of road was too narrow to meet the all-ages and all-access criteria.

Two new primary options were developed. These options were opened up to public feedback from Sept. 18 to Oct. 13.

On Monday night, Daniel Horan, Director of Engineering Services for Oak Bay, presented the two design options at the committee of the whole, allowing for discussion and then recommendations to council regarding costs/tradeoffs of the available options. The correspondence from the public feedback period was shared with council and the public had an opportunity to speak at the meeting as well.

Glad to see other municipalities on board with expanding the network and improving safety for road users.

#4982 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Meh... it's already happening and is enerally fine in my opinion. Those bike lanes aren't built for speed per say so it doesn't fuss me much.

I drive Pandora frequently and see plenty of speed merchants tearing along.

#4983 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

There's a reason a toilet usually has a 4" drain and a sink has a 2". 

Irrelevant...VHF has a garburator in his sink and he puts his Christmas tree down it.

I wonder how much of Fort Street bike lanes will be ready for the cyclist's Christmas shopping splurge?

• rjag, todd and DavidL like this

#4984 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

Irrelevant...VHF has a garburator in his sink and he puts his Christmas tree down it.

I wonder how much of Fort Street bike lanes will be ready for the cyclist's Christmas shopping splurge?

All those merchants must be quivering with anticipation...  :muching_out:

#4985 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

I spoke with the Lund's owner last night, and much of our talk was bike lanes.  He's cautiously optimistic it will be fine.  He admits his part of the street is not the most difficult though, he feels for the 500-block guys.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4986 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

^On auction days there is heavy traffic coming in and out of their front door--people carrying heavy furniture and large mirrors and such from the loading zone outside. Combine that with fast cyclists there is a risk of tragic/comic collisions.

#4987 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

^On auction days there is heavy traffic coming in and out of their front door--people carrying heavy furniture and large mirrors and such from the loading zone outside. Combine that with fast cyclists there is a risk of tragic/comic collisions.

I can see someone coming out of the front door with a door and then the cyclist gets the door thus ending up going over the handlebars and landing in a rocking chair.

#4988 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

I can see someone coming out of the front door with a door and then the cyclist gets the door thus ending up going over the handlebars and landing in a rocking chair.

or wearing a painting.

#4989 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

or a mirror and seeing double.

#4990 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

OB Police get their man.

After a string of bike thefts from Oak Bay High,  the school's police Liaison officer decided to set up a sting.

Now a 45-year-old man is in custody.

http://www.iheartrad...d-man-1.3372134

• todd, pennymurphy2000 and nerka like this

#4991 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Today was the first time in the Pandora bike lanes that someone tried to take me out with a right turn on red (for cars). In their defense it was a bit confusing as lanes were rerouted for construction. I braked in time so my basket barely bumped their mirror.

Words failed me (just as well - as I don't like swearing at people) but I did at least point their attention to the big bright red light.

I have been using the lanes more than usual the last couple of weeks and I have been generally impressed by the amount of usage they are getting (considering less than stellar weather) and the relatively good respect for law by folks riding and driving.

#4992 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

I make the right turn from Pandora to Quadra every day.  It's not too often now that I see a driver turn on the red, but I see a surprising number of cyclists rush up and through their yellow light, given how few cyclists are actually using it at 7:30AM. 

Running yellows isn't a "car driver" issue, it's a human issue.  The pedestrian countdown nearing zero isn't an invitation to speed up :)

• Bingo, 57WestHills and nerka like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

Meanwhile downtown today a vehicle had an advanced green on Quadra and Johnson, a pedestrian suddenly thought the coast was clear due a lapse in vehicles turning from behind him (he was heading south on Quadra), and darted out despite the arrow still showing orange for the vehicle (which was already moving in and quickly) as he moved. The driver comes to a screeching halt, the pedestrian yells at him, then he backs up, so the vehicle moves forward only to come to a screeching halt again when the pedestrian made a run for it after backing up. He then proceeded to scream that he had a green light and darted across the street.

Now I know what you're thinking, that it's "that" part of town, that the guy might have been on something, etc. But no, it was an office worker-looking chap with an umbrella  :cop:

But geez Louise, people. Look around you before crossing a street, would ya?

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4994 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

We were out and about yesterday and had several people just walk right out in front or our moving vehicle. I think with the rain people are keeping their heads down as they walk maybe.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4995 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

...I think with the rain people are keeping their heads down as they walk maybe.

Walking under an umbrella can create a bit of tunnel vision.

#4996 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

Either a UBicycle marketing fail, or Victorians have become so conditioned to report stolen bikes...

This Bicycle Isn’t Abandoned – It’s Available To Ride

Saturday, October 28, 2017
u-bicycle.jpg

Victoria, BC – The arrival of the U-bicycle to Victoria has opened up bike riding possibilities to many in our community. These dockless rental bicycles, which are rented via an app, have appeared throughout Victoria. In addition to people riding them, the bicycles’ arrival has also had an unintended consequence – people mistakenly reporting them abandoned.

Since the launch of the U-bike program, and despite media coverage of these bikes coming to Victoria, our 911 Communications Centre has begun receiving calls about the U-bikes. Concerned, well-meaning Victorians are reporting them abandoned. The green and silver bicycles, which come complete with lights and a helmet, have a self-locking device and do not need a dock. An image of the bikes is below.

http://vicpd.ca/node/1744

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4997 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

The bike lanes are really coming along on Fort.  From Quadra to Linden, most of the paint is in place and vehicle lanes have been re-aligned/painted.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 October 2017 - 07:06 AM.

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4998 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

I didn't realize the Fort Street lanes were going beyond Cook.

#4999 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

The original plan was Linden. But I know they had looked at getting them up to the school since it’s only a bit more.

#5000 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

The bike lanes are really coming along on Fort.  From Quadra to Linden, most of the paint is in place and vehicle lanes have been re-aligned/painted.

I didn't realize they were going as far as Linden. When they realigned Fort St. a few years ago it was bad enough, now this?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users