Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#3621 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm really disappointed by the lack of maintenance of major roads throughout the region following the snow and subsequent sanding. Bike lanes are littered with pebbles and grime and it was only yesterday that one major route even in Victoria was cleared.

If we're going to take the bicycle network seriously I expect municipalities to be more reactive to changing conditions of the lanes themselves. It's pointless to invest so much money only to have to force cyclists onto sidewalks or vehicle lanes because the bike lane is too dangerous to ride in.
  • sebberry, thundergun and 57WestHills like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3622 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

^ The burnside one in front of Spectrum is full of grime but I've been too lazy to contact Saanich about it.  

#3623 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

Ya, they need to take them seriously.  Nobody wants to ride over grime.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3624 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

^ The burnside one in front of Spectrum is full of grime but I've been too lazy to contact Saanich about it.  

I've contacted them for you.

• nagel likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3625 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

Finlayson around Hillside mall/cedar hill rec is brutal as well. Really most streets I've been around recently have at least some reasonable level of grit in the bike lanes.

#3626 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

there is a concrete pour at 1515 Douglas look up ....wayyyy up......while riding by in the bike lane

#3627 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm really disappointed by the lack of maintenance of major roads throughout the region following the snow and subsequent sanding.

It's funny, any Canadians who happened to visit the west coast for the first time in early 2017 are probably thinking mild winters in Victoria/Vancouver are a crock. Vancouver's streets in particular are looking like something out of Winnipeg or Ontario. So much grit and so many potholes.

#3628 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

there is a concrete pour at 1515 Douglas look up ....wayyyy up......while riding by in the bike lane

See here:  http://vibrantvictor...ction/?p=369035

#3629 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

The northbound Douglas Street bus lane has gone out to tender (seen on bcbid.gov.bc.ca)

Highway 1 - Tolmie Avenue to Saanich Road - Northbound Bus Lane

Location: Highway 1 between Tolmie Avenue and Saanich Road, Victoria, B.C.

Description: Construction of a priority bus lane on Highway 1 (Douglas Street) in the northbound direction from Tolmie Avenue to Saanich Road including: traffic management, pavement cutting, cold milling and removal, removal of existing works, supply and placement of granular materials, construct concrete curb and sidewalk, asphalt paving, street light installation, supply and placement of topsoil, sod and tree planting.

"THE PROJECT WILL RECEIVE FUNDING FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT UNDER THE CANADA-BRITISH COLUMBIA PUBLIC TRANSIT INFRASTRUCTURE FUND BILATERAL AGREEMENT (PTIF)."

Solicitation Number

16614MJ0001 Close Date & Time 2017/03/22 14:00 Time Zone Pacific Time Open Date & Time 2017/03/22 14:30

Edited by malahatdrive, 23 February 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#3630 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

I got seven flat tires in the last four weeks riding. In 2016 I got two flats. Frustrating, and I think they were all in bike lanes. I've consequently put on more robust but far less efficient tires. Keeping the bike stores happy is what I do.

#3631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Free bikes: Victoria developer set to launch bike share program

http://victoria.citi...-share-program/

• nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3632 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

Now we just need protected bike lanes from the atrium to the selkirk so those 8 bikes can get back and forth safely.
  • Baro likes this

#3633 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

I just spent two weeks biking in Hawaii. Whatever bad things I've said about Victoria drivers I take back. I'm so happy to still be alive!
  • Mike K., Baro, DavidSchell and 1 other like this

#3634 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Today

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

• Hotel Mike likes this

#3635 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

E+N Rail Trail

Attached Images

• IMG_20170323_075328.jpg

• Bingo and RFS like this

#3636 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

http://www.copenhage...-track.html?m=1

In Denmark, the on-street, bi-directional facility was removed from Best Practice for bicycle infrastructure over two decades ago. That in itself might be an alarm bell to anyone paying attention. These two way cycle tracks were found to be more dangerous than one-way cycle tracks on each side of the roadway. There is a certain paradigm in cities... I'm not saying it's GOOD, but it's there. Traffic users all know which way to look when moving about the city. Having bicycles coming from two directions at once was an inferior design.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#3637 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

On some of the tourist strip areas outside of the historical centre in Mazatlan they have built dedicated bike lanes on the medians.

Matt.

#3638 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Take a look at the ingenious bike lane installation at the NorthEast corner of Pandora and Government, and tell me how that's supposed to work when there's a sold-out student matinee at the Theater (approx 850 kids being dropped off in the pull out), bicycles going in both directions in the one bike lane, cars heading West on Pandora making a right hang turn onto Government heading North, AND pedestrians in the North/South and East/West crosswalks!!

Crap show if ever there was one.

It will be a miracle if nobody gets hurt.

• Nparker likes this

#3639 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

http://www.copenhage...-track.html?m=1

Copenhagenize hates them, but North American and Dutch experience differs with them - finding them safe when signal separated as Pandora will be

#3640 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

Take a look at the ingenious bike lane installation at the NorthEast corner of Pandora and Government, and tell me how that's supposed to work when there's a sold-out student matinee at the Theater (approx 850 kids being dropped off in the pull out), bicycles going in both directions in the one bike lane, cars heading West on Pandora making a right hang turn onto Government heading North, AND pedestrians in the North/South and East/West crosswalks!!

Crap show if ever there was one.

It will be a miracle if nobody gets hurt.

Half of those movements will be separated by lights. As for loading, the Hornby bike lane has had the Art Gallery loading zone for years without issue.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users