- - - - -

Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#181 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

I went in the other day to check it out and found nobody in the grocery section. I checked the date on the milk and the best before date was about one week away.

I just can't see anyone going there for milk when Thrify Foods is right next door.

I can't understand why the grocery section is upstairs in the corner.

That being said, there are some good deals.

It's nicer than Wal Mart, cheaper than Shoppers and the parking situation is much better than London Drugs.

#182 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

I was in that store the other day and after getting frustrated by a narrow selection at Thrifty's for the odd item I wanted went to Target which had a decent selection.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Target has booted their Canadian head.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#184 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

http://gawker.com/wh...such a disaster

Edited by weirdie, 22 May 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#185 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

^ Thanks for that. The stores are not half empty however...they are half full. :)

• bluefox likes this

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

We should bring back Fields. Now that was shopping paradise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

^For when you're not dressed fancy enough for Zellers.

• Jill and bluefox like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

We should bring back Fields. Now that was shopping paradise.

And if Field's was too classy for you there was always "SAAN" http://en.wikipedia....iki/SAAN_Stores

• Matt R. and bluefox like this

#189 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

I liked Fields.  But I'm equally happy with the Dollar Tree that has replaced it.  As we speak I'm slipping on a fresh pair of Turkish socks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

You should wash them first in Tyde detergent.

• bluefox likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#191 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

I liked Fields.  But I'm equally happy with the Dollar Tree that has replaced it.  As we speak I'm slipping on a fresh pair of Turkish socks.

Your socks smell by 9:51 AM? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#192 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Target to potentially close Canadian stores?

http://www.thestreet...ers-future.html

#193 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

I gave up on them after the first two visits. It was Zeller's with a coat of paint and new signage. Same half-stocked shelves and junk mail telling me about the stuff not on the racks.
American retailers are generally the best in the world IMO but this outfit has lost its mojo.

#194 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I go to Target semi-regularly as their prices on some stuff I routinely buy are competitive, the Hillside location is close to my house and the parking situation is better than London Drugs and Wal Mart. Amazingly, after all this time and all the bad press, they are still having issues keeping items stocked. They also seem to employ only the dumbest of the dumb.

That being said, the Hillside location has been significantly busier over the past couple of months.

#195 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

That article suggest Walmart might be keen to buy the stores.  Wow.

#196 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

That article suggest Walmart might be keen to buy the stores.  Wow.

Some of the stores.

I'd be surprised if Target did close all their stores. It took Wal Mart five years to become profitable in Canada, and they expanded into this market gradually. Target's super aggressive strategy of taking over all those leases all at once was probably too aggressive. That was one big company they tried to get up and running in a short amount of time.

#197 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Despite their struggle, I don't think they are going anywhere

yeah I think many people thought it should be like the "US" target.... well I was in one by where I use to live in San Jose California and it was damn near the same as the one down the street at market mall in Calgary. I can honestly say I frequent Target far more than Walmart these days, prices are pretty competitive and quite frankly I'm finding walmarts much more like Zellers these days in organization.

some of the critiques of Target I feel are unfounded

-lack of knowledgeable staff? when was the last time you got those in Wal Mart or Zellers? How much would you be willing to pay for this? probably not too much.

-Empty shelves, I haven't noticed too much outside of opening week. It will get better as their supply chains are improved and distribution is improved. 

if anything I think target needs to shelve some stores as zellers had some subpar retail space before the leases were sold off, and keep working on bringing products to market that no one else has(exclusive products). I see the beaver canoe stuff everywhere, a sign that it has been a hit and only sold at Target.

#198 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

I have actually been pretty impressed with the staff at the Hillside Target. They not only try to get you what you want, they will walk across the store with you to make sure it is there. Always seem super friendly too.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#199 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

Is just been announced all stores are going to close.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Is just been announced all stores are going to close.

And bankruptcy protection to boot.

✪ Breaking: Target goes into bankruptcy protection, to pull out of Canada, close all 133 stores, including two in Greater Victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users