Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

Don't forget your balls...

IMG_7393.jpg

#442 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

And your ginormous stop signs that were put in to protect the hoards of customers as they crossed the roadway in front of the doors.

#443 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

I want one of those balls.  Although they're probably concrete and will fall straight through the floor.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#444 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Someone on social media said one of the upper glass panels fell out a few days ago. Dunno accuracy.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#445 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

I've split the Canadian Tire discussion into a new thread here: http://vibrantvictor...es-in-victoria/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#446 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

Wal Mart has purchased 13 former Target leases. Two of those are in BC, but none are in Victoria.

https://www.biv.com/...-stores-canada/

Edited by jonny, 08 May 2015 - 07:49 AM.

• Mixed365 likes this

#447 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Lowe's is taking over the Target Store at Tillicum Mall; see http://www.timescolo...ation-1.1931241

• Nparker likes this

#448 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

That's going to be kind of weird. Usually when one of these home improvement stores are made they build a concrete box with minimal internal construction--raw concrete floors, exposed steel beams etc. With the Tillicum Target they will have to rip out all the shiny new flooring and dropped ceilings unless this is going to be the fanciest Lowe's in North America. 

I think they tore down the K-Mart when they built the Shelbourne Home Depot, didn't they?

#449 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

That's going to be kind of weird. Usually when one of these home improvement stores are made they build a concrete box with minimal internal construction--raw concrete floors, exposed steel beams etc. With the Tillicum Target they will have to rip out all the shiny new flooring and dropped ceilings unless this is going to be the fanciest Lowe's in North America. 

I think they tore down the K-Mart when they built the Shelbourne Home Depot, didn't they?

I'm sure that's exactly what they'll do -- could end up looking a lot like the urban-format Home Depots we have over here at Park Royal and in Cambie Village.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#450 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Lowe's!

I was almost correct when it came to predicting what would replace the Hillside Target...

So wow, those two spaces filled up quickly. The Lowe's I have been to in the US have massive appliance departments. I don't think I have been to one in Canada.

#451 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

The one in New West is nice, but pricewise about the same as Home Depot, so .... meh if you want to save money.

#452 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

I think it was Zeller's at that time and I don't think they tore it down.

That Home Depot has done well, despite the awful parking situation. Maybe Tillicum will be fine for Lowe's. It is some distance from both Home Depots.

I wonder if they will actually keep the double level at the Tillicum space? How will they make it work with plants?

#453 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

I think it was Zeller's at that time and I don't think they tore it down...

I am pretty sure the Home Depot at UH was a new build from the ground up. it will be interesting to see what Lowe's does with the Tillicum space.

• jonny likes this

#454 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

I am pretty sure the Home Depot at UH was a new build from the ground up. it will be interesting to see what Lowe's does with the Tillicum space.

Yeah, didn't some woman drive over the wet concrete of the foundation during construction? Weird I remember that.

• jonny likes this

#455 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

I wonder if they will actually keep the double level at the Tillicum space?

That's what I was wondering too.  Seems like a lot of their merchandise requires more height (lumber, molding, ladders, and a million other things over 8' long) than a typical retail floor provides.  They could rip out the entire second floor or do something like Wallmart did at Uptown with a split level for about a quarter of the floor space.

#456 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

Can't do that there... you can already feel the floor wabble in full floor layouts.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#457 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, didn't some woman drive over the wet concrete of the foundation during construction? Weird I remember that.

Yeah, I think you guys are right.

#458 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

Final auction of goods goes next Saturday:

http://www.ableaucti...59011E12E2D20B0

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#459 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

http://www.canadianb...-target-canada/

A long but fascinating read. I didn't realize the extent of the total supply chain failure. Every software program from ordering, transport, stocking, checkout and inventory was implemented without adequate testing with predictable results.

Excerpt:

By fall of 2013, Target’s three distribution centres—approximately four million square feet in all—were overflowing with goods. Tractor-trailers sat idling in the yards, waiting to be unloaded. The situation got so bad that Target scrambled to rent a handful of storage facilities to accommodate all of the inventory flooding in. The process of determining which goods to send to these rented facilities was haphazard, making it difficult to track things down later. “It was like a massive black hole,” says a former employee. Another recalls feeling shocked when visiting the rental warehouse in Vancouver. “It was the most rickety, Podunk thing you can imagine,” says the former employee, likening it to the treacherous labyrinthine underworld in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. American expats, accustomed to the efficiency of the U.S. operations, were flabbergasted. Waves of senior staff were flown in from Minneapolis, but because they were unfamiliar with the technology Target Canada used, there wasn’t much they could do.

#460 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like even though they grabbed all the space in one go, to perhaps prevent Walmart from getting them, they still should have phased in store openings much more slowly.

But they also suffered from consumers' high expectations on prices (and subsequent let-down), based on their US store visits.  That maybe was less avoidable, but should have been considered and understood better.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users