Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Taking jobs away from people is the point behind these machines. Save-Ons and Safeway now staff fewer check out aisles even during busier periods.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

And it shows.

The Fort/Foul Bay Safeway is undergoing some big renovations including, according to the notice posted, a fireplace and customer sitting area. No thanks, I'd rather have an extra cashier. The Tim Horton's is a nice addition however.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I find the Tillicum Safeway interesting as there is often a line-up for the auto-checkout while two clerks sit there waiting for someone to come up.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Probably because it takes away jobs from actual humans. I personally prefer talking and interacting with a human being. You just dont get that from a machine.

Is that how you book your airline and concert tickets? Pay your utility bills? I avoid that pain. I don't even trust the "sandwich artist" at Subway to get it right, and it's done before my eyes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Is that how you book your airline and concert tickets? Pay your utility bills? I avoid that pain. I don't even trust the "sandwich artist" at Subway to get it right, and it's done before my eyes.

Yes there are some things that I do online.

#46 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Taking jobs away from people is the point behind these machines. Save-Ons and Safeway now staff fewer check out aisles even during busier periods.

Its true, for companies to save on labour costs, bringing in self check outs does just that. But at the same time it makes it harder for people to find work.

#47 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Anyway back to Target. It will be interesting to see how its arrival will affect other retailers in Canada.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Its true, for companies to save on labour costs, bringing in self check outs does just that. But at the same time it makes it harder for people to find work.

The guy that develops, sells, sets up and services the auto-check-out makes way more money that the check-out clerk that he's helping replace. It's not always a bad trade-off.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Anyway back to Target. It will be interesting to see how its arrival will affect other retailers in Canada.

My guess is that it wont affect much in the long run. Its not really going to be like a person is cross border shopping.
After all of the Zellers eventually close there will be less choice for consumers because Target is not opening in each location.
In the beginning it will be crazy busy with all the people running out for the first few months but I think it will level out to what it was like when the Zellers were here.
Basically it will not be a huge hit like it was when Walmart opened in teh former Woolco locations. In that case it caused huge hardship for smaller mom n pop businesses

Thats my prediction

#50 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Why aren't we moving to more self-checkouts?

Where do we have them other than Home Depot?

Because University, College and high school students, single moms and seniors all need to supplement their incomes. Unless you have jobs to offer them?

#51 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Superstore was the fisrt in Victoria to have self checkouts

#52 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Bank employees are not students or seniors. They are people who have already completed their education which they probably got while working as check out personnel at grocery and department stores.

As far as online goes, yes I do bank online and buy my concert tkts online. I buy my movie tkts at the box office, not online.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Bank employees are not students or seniors. They are people who have already completed their education which they probably got while working as check out personnel at grocery and department stores.

Sure they are. Lots of bank tellers are students, even high school students. I know several.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Probably because it takes away jobs from actual humans.

Businesses have no social obligation to employ as many humans as possible. However, they do have an obligation to their shareholders to maximize their return on investment.

#55 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Do we know an opening date for Target Tillicum? I am guessing mid May by the time they stock the shelves, etc

#56 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Do we know an opening date for Target Tillicum? I am guessing mid May by the time they stock the shelves, etc

Supposed to be the second or third week of March.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

#58 lumix

lumix
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

:confused:Can someone please explain to me why we are so excited to see Target? I have never been in one, so in my mind it is just another Bay/Sears/Zellers/Wal-mart. Is it the products they carry? I don't understand. Enlighten me.

#59 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

:confused:Can someone please explain to me why we are so excited to see Target? I have never been in one, so in my mind it is just another Bay/Sears/Zellers/Wal-mart. Is it the products they carry? I don't understand. Enlighten me.

Its an ACTUAL new competitor to the market, which Zellers never was (how can you compete with yourself). Meaning lower prices with more competition
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#60 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Certainly I will be very interested to see how their product selection stacks up against the several Target stores I've patronized in the US.

I remember the first time I shopped at the Super Target location in Omaha my first thought was "holy s**t" if anyone from the Third World saw the staggering array of foodstuff/choices there would be an immediate revolution along the lines of "why do these people have so much and why do we have so little?!" The aisles were wider than two men standing together with their arms outstretched and seemed to stretch into infinity. And that was just the bread aisle. There was enough food in there to feed an army. Not to mention the non-food options. Zellers? Not even in the same galaxy by comparison. I will also be keenly interested to see if the level of Customer Service - something woefully lacking in many Victoria businesses - is in evidence. I suspect the staff training in this area will be intense.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users