Photo

Defining Victoria's skyline

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Greater Victoria's population is now closing in on 400,000. If we were to include the Cowichan Valley as a "bedroom community" (let's face it, South Cowichan has become just that!), Metropolitan Victoria's population grows to near 450,000.

I think it is time Victoria added a defining "landmark-stlye" high-rise that sets itself apart from the rest. I am not necessarily suggesting a high-rise that towers over the entire city. But one that your eyes focus onto when looking at the City Centre as the jewel of the core.

There are cities out there that have a smaller population than Victoria who have undertaken endeavours similar to what I am suggesting. What such a defining building does to a city is surely different in each situation. But the skyline of a city, I firmly believe, is a piece of art that if done right, can accomplish only good.

Our closest example of a defining building, in my opinion, is Sussex Place. If only it had been built a little taller to stand out more within our skyline.

So...

this is to all those who agree with me to join together and push the city (and the developers who will build it) to come up with a well-designed landmark that will compliment Victoria and bring together the Downtown City Centre skyline into a beautiful piece of art that it deserves to be recognized as.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

In our quest to not be like vancouver we're making the same mistake they did, limiting height and getting a flat boxy skyline from it.
  • DavidSchell likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

The tallest tower at Hudson Place will become the city's tallest building at over 72 meters and 24 floors. The question is whether or not Townline will make the extra effort to ensure the tower is designed as a landmark with a unique crown and/or lighting features.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

An observation tower like the CN tower or space needle would be amazing here. Put it smack in the middle of James Bay for easy access to cruise shippers. I think the JBNA would really get behind it! :muching_out:

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

In the 2000's there was actually a proposal for a Space Needle-esque tower in Vic West. It didn't go far and there was no media attention, I don't think. In the 1960's a much more serious proposal was floated around for a while as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

A major step would just be to get Vista 18 spinning again. It probably won't get fixed until after Mr. Piercy's has moved on, he doesn't seem keen on doing the necessary work to make it operational again. Is it just grease that it needs, does anybody know more about the mechanics? The only reason I'm launching my zipline business in Saanich is because I thought anchoring it to V18 and the Undersea Gardens was a no-go if they started up the spin again.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

When the motor seized in 2003 they deemed it too costly to replace. Besides, it spun way too fast for my liking.

Know it all.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

I had hoped that the Promontory would have some iconic element to it because even when the Hudson 24 storey rolls around it will be less prominent on the skyline then the Hudson tower will be.

It would be great to see something built into the museum renovation.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Malmo's population (Sweden) is only about 300,000, yet they have the Turning Torso. I agree, we need to have more bold buildings in Victoria, especially with the BIG ONE coming. Then all the bold buildings built a 100 years ago will be gone and we'll be left with the mediocre crap. What do tourists and locals alike love and take pictures of of...crazy adventurous larger than life buildings (especially for the size of Victoria at the time!). What's the last adventurous, not super safe building in Victoria...perhaps Shoal Point? That thing would be awesome on View Street, instead of stuck out where it is.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Mrs Sparky owns a building that spins....the first one in the world.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I've been in that house. It's somewhere off Old W. Saanich.

How long has Mrs. Sparky owned it?

IIRC they kept the washer/dryer on the basement unplugged/unhooked up when it spun as they were not on a system that would help them from tangling.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Is it just grease that it needs, does anybody know more about the mechanics?

I know the mechanics.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

^That's a great idea. Even in the recent heat, our bedroom is so cool we're still using a comforter thanks to our north-facing bedroom. Having the ability to spin your house to make best use of the sun is fantastic.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've been in that house. It's somewhere off Old W. Saanich.

How long has Mrs. Sparky owned it?

IIRC they kept the washer/dryer on the basement unplugged/unhooked up when it spun as they were not on a system that would help them from tangling.

You are correct VHF, it is located on Starling Lane off of Old West Saanich road. She inherited it along with her brother when their uncle Basil passed. Late 70's

It tangles not. Probably easier to put the washer dryer in the basement.

Here is a challenge for our readers.....how does the water go up?....how does the sewage come down?

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

No, I know the rest of the house was on the rotor system for electric, and services like water, sewer, but the w/d weren't.

OK, how about this. The incoming fresh water goes into a basin like a bathtub, somewhat open. Some valve device keeps it from overflowing, like the opposite of a sump pump.

Then another hose is always dangling in the tub, always in contact with the water. So a pump in the house upstairs pulls it when needed, or pulls it into a water tank near the roof and keeps that full.

Sewage water, must be more complex. I'll say it all goes into a holding tank above the rotor, and that tank is manaully emptied from time-to-time, unless you aren't spinning much, you leave it attached then.

Or it goes down the middle of this:

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

You are close. Water goes up the middle of the pipe through the gland that you see in the picture....sewage then comes down through the larger pipe....again with use of glands.

The electrics are accomplished with commutator rings and brushes. (shown in the picture)

For the life of me I still don't understand how the cable or phone works.....I'll get back to you on that...

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

You are close. Water goes up the middle of the pipe through the gland that you see in the picture....sewage then comes down through the larger pipe....again with use of glands.

The electrics are accomplished with commutator rings and brushes. (shown in the picture)

For the life of me I still don't understand how the cable or phone works.....I'll get back to you on that...

You might be able to use the steel track and the gear than runs on it to transfer a low-level electric load like the phone, or at least one of the two leads.

So one half of the phone line could just be attached to the electric ground of the house, and the other wire you attach to the fixed sprocket that rings the home, and the continuation of that lead is attached to a brush on the gear/wheel that runs around it.

You could solve a lot of these issues if the home only spun one rotation in each direction, or even two rounds one way, then two rounds back. Then you'd just need some extra hose/wires with slack. And if all you want to do is adjust your home with the sun, or as you want, rather than a constant amusement ride, all you would need is 360 one way, and 360 back.

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

You are good. There is a track like a train track that it rotates on. Aaron would get a kick out this.

Sadly neither you or I know how the TV works... :)

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

You are good. There is a track like a train track that it rotates on. Aaron would get a kick out this.

Sadly neither you or I know how the TV works... :)

The TV is an issue of course in that you are defeating the whole purpose of coaxial cable as soon as you separate the shielding from the core, although all you need is that signal in the core. Putting that signal through the AC circuit does not sound like something that would be nice to the signal at the end... Hmm....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users