Defining Victoria's skyline

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Coax slip rings aren't hard to find these days. And get a cordless phone. problem solved, stop living in the past.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Coax slip rings aren't hard to find these days. And get a cordless phone. problem solved, stop living in the past.

LPHF Coax Rotary Joints

It is specially designed for high frequency sliprings signal transmission, the frequency could be high to 2GHz. The LPHF series features precious metal contacts at the rotary interface. Flying lead wires on the rotating side and solder terminals on the stator side complete the electrical connections. Precision ball bearings and the patented fiber brush design allow operation up to 10,000 rpm without the need for cooling equipment.

But does the house spin that slow, Sparky? :farmer: I know Vista 18 used to get up to about 13,000rpm with a tailwind (to get this thread back on track).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Yes....360 degrees...24 hours...run by a washing machine motor.

www.spiritoftomorrow.com

#24 leslie64

leslie64
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Greater Victoria's population is now closing in on 400,000. If we were to include the Cowichan Valley as a "bedroom community" (let's face it, South Cowichan has become just that!), Metropolitan Victoria's population grows to near 450,000.

I think it is time Victoria added a defining "landmark-stlye" high-rise that sets itself apart from the rest. I am not necessarily suggesting a high-rise that towers over the entire city. But one that your eyes focus onto when looking at the City Centre as the jewel of the core.

I agree we need a landmark building that screams Victoria, maybe a huge statue or structure that depicts in some way the opposition a lot of people have to building tall buildings here. Maybe a gigantic Cube like in star trek next generation. And place a big plaque at the entrance that states, you guessed it, " Resistance is Futile!" :rtfm:

#25 leslie64

leslie64
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

It's funny I had a similar idea when I was thinking about a landmark building for victoria and I chose the same spot as you did. I would love to see something like the space needle where people could go up and have a good view of the city, but I don't think that will happen in my life time.

Sorry I accidentally removed the picture associated with this post which showed the space needle where the Promontory building is.

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

I would love to see something bold and inspiring when the tallest building at Hudson Place is constructed. Maybe a building that looks twisted, or a building with an extravagent roofline. Great lighting will be a must. Ideally, something truly unique could be built at that site that would really set apart that area of downtown and give downtown Victoria a truly great defining tower.

Sadly, that type of thing isn't Townline's M.O.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

CFAX poll voters are split 50/50 about the thought of 12 floors near Mayfair.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

CFAX poll voters are split 50/50 about the thought of 12 floors near Mayfair.

Why?

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

So 12-story twins are the city's preference?
http://www.cfax1070....-of-Douglas-den

#30 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Skimming through the Victoria Downtown Core Area Plan, I came across a strategy that identifies a maximum floor space ratio (FSR) for residential buildings in the Central Business District of 3:1.

Can someone explain how this relates to some of the development in Victoria. I gotta think that Era, Hudson Mews, and Juliet (probably others) have higher residential FSRs than 3:1. Or am I missing something?

#31 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I think a height variance should be given for decorative elements at the top of buildings. Our skyline is starting to become one max out 12 story building.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

The 3:1 is the defacto go to. If you look through the specific docs on the linked page there are specific sites that are able to go above 3:1 with adequate amenity provision.

The 3:1 FSR is a historical number that has been in place for as long as I can remember in Vic, why it came to be is lost to history. Certain projects over the years have eclipsed that number though not by much. I believe Juliet is about 4.5:1 or so. Many are unaware of the building in Victoria with the highest FSR is the Belmont Building at Wharf and Government which is about 8:1

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

A key thing to remember that with a building like Hudson Mews is that while the lot is rectangular the rest of the building is only taking up a small proportion of the rectangle which allows tall skinny buildings. My bet would be that Hudson Mews is in the 3.5 - 4:1 FSR range.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

The 3:1 is the defacto go to. If you look through the specific docs on the linked page there are specific sites that are able to go above 3:1 with adequate amenity provision.

This!

3:1 is a revenue generation scheme.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks G-Man. That helps to understand it a bit.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

I had to laugh at this headline:

3.JPG

While admittedly, at an "astounding" 21 floors the Yates on Yates project will appear as just a slight bump on the city's skyline, the 15 floor Tapestry project on Belleville won't even be perceptible from a couple of blocks away. A "major" change to the skyline these projects will not be. It angers me that our local media insists on perpetuating this myth.

Alas, even Chris Coleman, one of the saner members of Council, is succumbing to our local form of Batophobia

... Coleman said...that 21 storeys is probably “the upper end” of maximum height allowance for the area. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.IXfn44aE.dpuf

Why is 21 storeys the upper end? What exactly would happen if 25 floors were built here or even 30? Would the skies darken forever? Would the earth open up, unleashing the denizens of the underworld to enslave the citizens of Victoria for the rest of all time? I have yet to hear a rational explanation for the arbitrary height restrictions except for that tired canard "we don't want to be like Vancouver"*

* ranked the 3rd most livable city in the world

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Sometimes I think Joe Public just has no idea how many buildings there are.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

We're supposed to accept the premise that these new buildings will have big visual impact, but the design aspect isn't so much as touched on in that TC piece.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

We're supposed to accept the premise that these new buildings will have big visual impact, but the design aspect isn't so much as touched on in that TC piece.

Because the ONLY thing that matters in new architecture in the CoV is how tall it is - or more accurately - how tall it isn't.  :whyme:

#40 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Sometimes I think Joe Public just has no idea how many buildings there are.

Joe Public is shocked when you point out that that building is 15 floors or that one is 16 floors or that other one over there is 21 floors. The average person simply does not care and/or is not that observant.

From a distance, the only new buildings that really stand out are the arena, Promontory and 1515 Douglas.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users