BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

The public hearing is taking place for the 13-storey building. The 10-storey building has already been approved.

138 units
4.85 fsr
.8 underground parking stalls per unit
8000 sq ft of commercial space

Entrance to residential off of Cook Street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

It passed

• Nparker likes this

#203 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

It passed

So are there any more municipal hoops to jump through, or can they get started (pending financing and market conditions etc.)?

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 28 March 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

It's a green light for them. Construction could start as early as the fall but first the complicated working drawings must be completed.

And because it's a rental they have no market conditions to deal with in the traditional sense so their entry is based on lining up a contractor and demolishing the onsite buildings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#205 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Depends, was there rezoning involved here or only a development permit. I am soooo excited to see this go ahead. Paired with the Mondrian this project represents a true shift in the urban framework of downtown. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#206 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

^^ Yeah even better. It won't take much to take that old BCAA building down.

It has a whole new look!

#207 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I agree, as much as I was not happy initially with the construction and loss of view from my unit, I am happy overall.  As said this represents a huge shift in this area.  Once the Mondrian was completed it became evident very quickly of the positive impact of additional density - we now have people out walking thier dogs, going back and forth from work and generally adding life to this end of Harris Green.

It is good to see, dont know how many times I have commented that once you cross over Vancouver St. going East there is nothing, but hopefully now that will change....

Lets hope the construction process is efficient and quick....

Edited by Downtownguy99, 28 March 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#208 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

I still think it will be strange to have all of those buildings jammed into one block from an aesthetic perspective, but as far as how this will impact Harris Green and Victoria in general I think it is good news.

Good and bad I suppose. No project is ever perfect, but I do feel bad for my buddy who owns a condo in Sutton Place East.

#209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

The Johnson Street building has been pushed back to 7.5 meters from the lot line on each side, even though the zoning requires 5, and that will make a big difference. The north tower was never a big issue I don't think.

Know it all.

#210 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

7.5 metres on each side? That is going to make for a very narrow building!

It has a whole new look!

#211 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

The Johnson Street building has been pushes back ml7.5 meters from the lot line on each side, even though the zoning requires 5, and that will make a big difference. The north tower was never a big issue I don't think.

Is it still 10 stories tall?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Yes, and yes.

In total the project had lost some 8,000 square feet as a result of modification to its footprint.

Know it all.

#213 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yesterday's hearing was for only the north building. The south building was approved last year.

#214 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Any news on this project? Anticipated start date?

#215 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

likely in the Fall

#216 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Good to hear, assume they will start on both projects at the same time and share the same crane, project office etc then?

Be good to have things going (and finished) although it is entertaining to watch Westcan services do what ever it is they are doing in that building - the latest is some sort of frame on the roof - looked like they were going to install a solar collector, then they did some landscaping and scalped half the tree on the lot, and then the super CCTV system that has cameras all over the outside of the building....

Secret Squirrel for sure!

#217 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

likely in the Fall

So with everything else going on has anyone heard if this is a definite go for the fall?  Be nice to see it started and ground broken.......

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

I ran into the developer several weeks ago and its still a go for the fall. There's quite a bit of leg work to do after approval is granted.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.

#219 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I ran into the developer several weeks ago and its still a go for the fall. There's quite a bit of leg work to do after approval is granted.

Good News - thanks!

#220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Quick update here, everything's on schedule and the developers expect to break ground soon.

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users