BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#421 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Is it just me or is this slow to come out of the ground?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

They're actually moving at a pretty fast clip.

Consider that 819 Yates' excavation began in September 2015 and they are at ground level. 1075 Pandora's excavation began in February of this year and they're already on the second floor.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#423 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Is it just me or is this slow to come out of the ground?

It's faster than Legato!

#424 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

It's faster than Legato!

A snail is faster than Legato :)

• Nparker likes this

#425 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

One foot is faster than one Legato?

#426 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

The developer should have named it Largo rather than Legato? 😊
  • Nparker likes this

#427 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

It would appear that someone climbed halfway up the crane at 1075 last night, police and fire rescue were on the scene completing a high rescue around 8:30 Sunday night....this is the second time to my knowledge that someone has been trespassing on the site.....dont know what state the person was in, but was brought down safely in a harness after an hour or so of police searchlights and fire department on scene...

Can anyone else verify?

#428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

Did you snap any photos by chance?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#429 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

No, I think the emergency services were having a hard time seeing the person as well, so did not want to blind them with flashes...the person was up at the same level as the large flood lights so pretty far up....

#430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:32 AM

Luckily the individual got down safely. I wonder because it was a rescue if someone climbed up, got scared and needed to be brought down.

The 1515 Douglas incident on the other hand played out differently with police just waiting for the man to climb down.

Know it all.

#431 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Today in the TC: 

A person who climbed a construction crane in Victoria last night had to be rescued after becoming stranded.

Victoria firefighters had to perform a high-angle rescue after Victoria police said three individuals climbed to the top of a crane on a construction site at Pandora Avenue and Cook Street and one became stuck, reported Battalion Chief Bob Jones.

They were spotted on the jib, said a report by Jones. “Two of the people climbed back down, the third person became stranded on a landing halfway up the crane, approximately 70 feet from the ground.”

Victoria firefighters responded with a command car, an engine and rescue truck and aerial ladder and used their technical high angle rope rescue team to lower the person to safety, said Jones.

The stranded person and a rescuer were attached to safety lines and lowered on the outside of the crane.

link

#432 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

You can't have people climbing up cranes but you could install some flagpoles to sit on, and this sport wouldn't disrupt the construction workers.

1920s-flagpole-sitting-article_488.jpg

Pole sitting is the practice of sitting on top of a pole (such as a flagpole) for extended lengths of time, generally used as a test of endurance. A small platform is typically placed at the top of the pole for the sitter.

Led by the stunt actor and former sailor Alvin "Shipwreck" Kelly, flagpole sitting was a fad in the mid-to-late 1920s, but mostly died out after the start of the Great Depression.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Pole_sitting

#433 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

There was a popular pole sitting down near capital iron in the 70's or 80's I believe.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#434 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:54 PM

^ Lol. I forgot about that guy. Mark Sutton. He had his 15 minutes of fame. I don't believe he was ever able to capitalize on it.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#435 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

^ Lol. I forgot about that guy. Mark Sutton. He had his 15 minutes of fame. I don't believe he was ever able to capitalize on it.

Mar. 24, 1988 10:24 AM ET

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ She's $90,000 short of her fund-raising goal, but Mellissa L. Sanders was ready to descend from a record 516 days atop two telephone poles having gained a fiance and the pride of her pole-sitting mom.

''I'm going to miss the birds on my balcony and the crazy drivers going by down below,'' said Miss Sanders, who late this afternoon planned to climb down from the 43-foot-high shack she called home for more than 1 1/2 years.

Miss Sanders, interviewed today on ABC's ''Good Morning America,'' joked that the first thing she wants to do when she climbs down is ''kiss the ground, and never leave it again. No, I don't really know.''

On Feb. 25, the 19-year-old woman who had hoped to raise $100,000 for cancer research broke the 488-day mark for pole-sitting set by Mark Sutton of Victoria, British Columbia, and listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

http://www.apnewsarc...3ae96984bec8772

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

(Copyright Times Colonist (Victoria) 1999)

mailto:jpaterson@victoriatimescolonist.com

I was waiting in line at the frenzied Value Village 50-per-cent- off sale last weekend when the woman in front of me told me about Victoria's world record pole-sitter.

It was back in 1984, when she was working in a salon in the Store Street public market that used to be where Value Village is. A young guy, Mark Sutton, had decided to climb a pole 15 metres above the store and stay there until he broke the modern-day record of 440 days.

For a while, he was famous, at least in Victoria. Everybody talked about him, and people would hang out on the sidewalk to stare up at him. One of the salon worker's friends had even "gone up the pole" one night. "He was alone up there a long time."

The Times Colonist librarians remembered him immediately when I came back asking for any files on a pole-sitter from the '80s. Pole- sitting may not be the most productive activity, but people don't forget you if you stay up there long enough.

Sutton was 24 and on welfare when he climbed the pole in February 1984 in hopes of setting a new record and raising $500,000 for the Canadian Paraplegic Association, his second-pick charity after he and the Canadian National Institute for the Blind had a falling out. He camped on a 2.5-square-metre platform, hauling up free food daily and pocketing a $50 weekly stipend from market merchants.

The high life wasn't without its problems. A few people lobbed rocks at Sutton. Another threatened to cut the pole down. And a letter writer of the day noted that Sutton couldn't hope to beat the real world record set by monk Stylites, who spent the last 45 years of his life on top of a pillar in Syria back in the sixth century.

And like all those cross-Canada treks that never quite work out as planned, Sutton's pole-sitting raised only $13,000. "People just don't think it's a good cause," said a disappointed Sutton not long before his descent on day 488. "I tried my best. I did my best. I can't twist it out of them."

Sutton was depressed, constipated and weak by the time he came down. Victoria merchants gave him six nights of free meals and accommodation in local hotels, and 2,000 well-wishers feted him in the streets.

And then he disappeared from the newspaper files.

I went looking for him this week to find out how the intervening years had turned out. "Last I heard, he was working for Nissan selling cars," recalled the woman in the Value Village lineup.

I tried the phone book and called, predictably, Mark Sutton. He turned out to be a good-humoured man who shared the same name as the pole-sitter. He said they even had the same middle initial, A.

"Last I heard, he was working for Nissan selling cars," said the other Mark Sutton. "That was a couple years ago now, though."

"Mark Sutton? You just missed him by a few months," said the woman at Victoria Infiniti Nissan. "As far as I know, he moved to Vancouver in September, to the Southside dealership."

So I called Southside, and a minute later there he was, now 38 and sounding a long way away from the kid who clambered up a pole 15 years ago. He wasn't happy to hear from me.

"People who didn't even know me said some bad things about me in the media during that time. As far as I'm concerned, I'll never talk to a newspaper, TV or radio again," said Sutton.

I offered to give him my phone number in case he changed his mind. "I'll never change my mind," he said.

Sutton didn't hold the world record for long. He was beat out by Melissa Sanders, an Indianapolis woman who claimed the title in 1988 after living in a shack on top of a pole for 516 days. Her record still stands. 

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

(Copyright Times Colonist (Victoria) 1999)

mailto:jpaterson@victoriatimescolonist.com

I was waiting in line at the frenzied Value Village 50-per-cent- off sale last weekend when the woman in front of me told me about Victoria's world record pole-sitter.

It was back in 1984, when she was working in a salon in the Store Street public market that used to be where Value Village is. A young guy, Mark Sutton, had decided to climb a pole 15 metres above the store and stay there until he broke the modern-day record of 440 days.

For a while, he was famous, at least in Victoria. Everybody talked about him, and people would hang out on the sidewalk to stare up at him. One of the salon worker's friends had even "gone up the pole" one night. "He was alone up there a long time."

The Times Colonist librarians remembered him immediately when I came back asking for any files on a pole-sitter from the '80s. Pole- sitting may not be the most productive activity, but people don't forget you if you stay up there long enough.

Sutton was 24 and on welfare when he climbed the pole in February 1984 in hopes of setting a new record and raising $500,000 for the Canadian Paraplegic Association, his second-pick charity after he and the Canadian National Institute for the Blind had a falling out. He camped on a 2.5-square-metre platform, hauling up free food daily and pocketing a $50 weekly stipend from market merchants.

The high life wasn't without its problems. A few people lobbed rocks at Sutton. Another threatened to cut the pole down. And a letter writer of the day noted that Sutton couldn't hope to beat the real world record set by monk Stylites, who spent the last 45 years of his life on top of a pillar in Syria back in the sixth century.

And like all those cross-Canada treks that never quite work out as planned, Sutton's pole-sitting raised only $13,000. "People just don't think it's a good cause," said a disappointed Sutton not long before his descent on day 488. "I tried my best. I did my best. I can't twist it out of them."

Sutton was depressed, constipated and weak by the time he came down. Victoria merchants gave him six nights of free meals and accommodation in local hotels, and 2,000 well-wishers feted him in the streets.

And then he disappeared from the newspaper files.

I went looking for him this week to find out how the intervening years had turned out. "Last I heard, he was working for Nissan selling cars," recalled the woman in the Value Village lineup.

I tried the phone book and called, predictably, Mark Sutton. He turned out to be a good-humoured man who shared the same name as the pole-sitter. He said they even had the same middle initial, A.

"Last I heard, he was working for Nissan selling cars," said the other Mark Sutton. "That was a couple years ago now, though."

"Mark Sutton? You just missed him by a few months," said the woman at Victoria Infiniti Nissan. "As far as I know, he moved to Vancouver in September, to the Southside dealership."

So I called Southside, and a minute later there he was, now 38 and sounding a long way away from the kid who clambered up a pole 15 years ago. He wasn't happy to hear from me.

"People who didn't even know me said some bad things about me in the media during that time. As far as I'm concerned, I'll never talk to a newspaper, TV or radio again," said Sutton.

I offered to give him my phone number in case he changed his mind. "I'll never change my mind," he said.

Sutton didn't hold the world record for long. He was beat out by Melissa Sanders, an Indianapolis woman who claimed the title in 1988 after living in a shack on top of a pole for 516 days. Her record still stands. 

http://vibrantvictor...nditions/page-3

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#437 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Interesting trip down memory lane...however this has now become an

off-topic.jpg

#438 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Someone needs their own website where they can micro manage poster's content

• Nparker, jonny and lanforod like this

#439 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Someone needs their own website where they can micro manage poster's content

Yeah, I was thinking we need an 'Official wannabe moderator" graphic to follow nparker around ... :banana:

• Nparker likes this

#440 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

His red sticker is off topic too 1075 pandora is looking ok

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)