BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,465 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

July 31

1075-Pandora-July-31-2017.jpg

• Nparker and 2F2R like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

It seems to be taking a long time to close in the top floor. Interesting that it is metal construction on this level rather than reinforced concrete.

Any chance that 1088 will start before 1075 is 100% finished?

#503 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

September 1st

Attached Images

• IMG_0332.JPG

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#504 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

What a huge impact this project has in this part of downtown.

#505 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

What a huge impact this project has in this part of downtown.

Especially for those who bought Mondrian north side. Their resaleability got vaporized.

Edited by johnk, 05 September 2017 - 09:38 AM.

• aastra likes this

#506 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

Mondrian residents do not have access to the roof, right?

#507 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Especially for those who bought Mondrian north side. Their resaleability got vaporized.

I don't think that is true over the longer term.

Once we see the current set of buildings finish. Harris Green is going to be a completely different place. It is going to have a vibe that simply has never existed before and I suspect that it will become more popular. Eventually there is not going to be room to keep building in Harris Green and condo prices will reflect that. 

• aastra, Nparker and jonny like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#508 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

G-Man,
I dunno about that. North side Mondrian units on the lower floors are spitting distance from the new build and will never have any light. Neighbourhood is improving overall but IMO there won't be much enjoyment living in one of those units.

#509 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Not to mention their view of Wellburn's!

The residents of the Mondrian should have lobbied to have a large Garry Oak planted on the 1075 site instead of a rental building.

#510 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Once we see the current set of buildings finish. Harris Green is going to be a completely different place. It is going to have a vibe that simply has never existed before and I suspect that it will become more popular.

Methinks you're both right. Views from your unit are of supreme importance when the neighbourhood itself lacks identity and unique appeal, but once the neighbourhood develops identity and cachet then being part of it will be just as important as views if not more so (maybe not the highest views, but definitely the views from single-digit levels). Some bozo on this very board was rambling on about this back in the day.

From 2010:

[the "ivory towers" phase] is all about the views. Nobody moves into the Songhees because it's an interesting neighbourhood. The Songhees is nothing. It's merely a place to put your condo so you can enjoy the view.

--

Why is Cook Street/Fairfield the densest neighbourhood in Victoria? Because the neighbourhood is its own reward. Hardly anyone has a view in Cook Street/Fairfield. There are no tall buildings there. And yet it's the densest neighbourhood. Has been for a long time. It's not about ivory towers there.

--

Many folks... will be especially interested in "ivory towers" living, for sure. But you know you've really made it when locals place a high value on the neighbourhoods themselves, regardless of whether or not they're living in a penthouse.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#511 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

That said, methinks there still should have been more space between this new building and the Mondrian, and methinks rooftop access for the residents of the Mondrian would be a big plus to help mitigate the effects of any new developments on adjacent properties.

• johnk likes this

#512 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

Apologies in advance to Bingo for methinking out loud.

• RoadRunner likes this

#513 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

...there still should have been more space between this new building and the Mondrian...

But it would likely have been a battle to get a taller slimmer building approved, n'est-ce pas?

And if the Mondrian residents don't like it now, wait until 1088 Johnson is complete; then two sides will be "view-less". Of course, this is what happens when arbitrary height restrictions are more important than creative uses of density distribution.

#514 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

I dont think anyone bought Mondrian north side lower floors for the views. They wanted a place downtown but not to live in a coffin that gets no sunlight or sky.
One reason cafes and pubs flourish in european cities is because so many apartments are small and dark. People dont want to spend much time at home. They have to pay money to be in a brighter more cheerful place or go to a park which is not always convenient.
Good luck to the Mondrian owners who want to sell and move on.

#515 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

And yet new Mondrian owners have paid significantly more for their units purchased in 2017 than original buyers paid...odd. 

• Nparker likes this

#516 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

There are views in CSV/FF, maybe not panoramas but many houses and apts have decent tree-height views. I'd rather see trees than have concrete an arm's length away.
I think CoV was derelict in approving buildings that close to others

#517 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

And yet new Mondrian owners have paid significantly more for their units purchased in 2017 than original buyers paid...odd.

They are not all boxed in. I wonder though if any north side units have sold since the new build was approved and started.

#518 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Yes, I know somebody who bought on the north side. They paid A LOT more than the unit originally sold for. 

#519 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

Yes, I know somebody who bought on the north side. They paid A LOT more than the unit originally sold for.

Wow! Recently?

#520 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

Looks as though the crane at 1075 is coming down today? Did not think they were this far along.....just watching them set up the other crane in the lot at 1088 Johnson.....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users