BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#521 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

There are views in CSV/FF, maybe not panoramas but many houses and apts have decent tree-height views. I'd rather see trees than have concrete an arm's length away.
I think CoV was derelict in approving buildings that close to others

You don't have to live there. This is totally fine. You want some units in buildings to be less desirable. You don't want every unit to have a million dollar view. As you said people in Europe hang out in Cafes and restaurants. Bring lots of people to an area and you will have those amenities and these units will go up in price, but not as much as the ones on the other side of the building. Good! That means we will have a more diverse selection of prices for people. 

If anyone bought on that side of the building not knowing that a building would go there then they made a mistake. They can still sell and likely get what they paid for it. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#522 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

...I think CoV was derelict in approving buildings that close to others

Presumably, the CoV and the developer were working within the Harris Green community plan guidelines.

• jonny likes this

#523 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Wow! Recently?

January or February. They moved in in March. 

Look, I agree that the building form is not ideal. I would prefer better spacing, but for better or for worse, this sort of build out has been in the works for years. 

Edited by jonny, 05 September 2017 - 12:12 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#524 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Presumably, the CoV and the developer were working within the Harris Green community plan guidelines.

What is being built is exactly what the OCP calls for. 

#525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

What is being built is exactly what the OCP calls for. 

Exactly, so no one should be *****ing about the results.

#526 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

If you don't like this build form, I suggest your write to the Mayor and Council now as in 15 years this is how Harris Green is going to look from beginning to end if the current OCP remains. 

• Nparker likes this

#527 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Easy, guys. All I said was I thought some folks were getting done by the new build but no one is at fault. Caveat emptor. If its in line with the HG guidelines then fair enough, but I still think the walls are too close together.
My comments are objective. I dont live there and I would not have bought there in any case as I am not in that market segment/demographic. I certainly would never buy anything with a vacant lot or tear-down candidate outside my windows.
  • VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#528 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

Interesting comment about not buying near a vacant lot or tear down, going back to that old cliche - buy the best house in the crappiest area / block and then watch the area grow up around you and by default your property values increase dramatically as the area becomes desirable....
As a Harris Green resident I have seen a 35% jump in my property value over last year and as has been pointed out elsewhere this is going to be a damn fine area when all this gets sorted out. I recognized the potential and bought knowingly against vacant lots when I bought 10 years ago and quite happy the OCP calls for this type of development.

#529 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

Easy, guys. All I said was I thought some folks were getting done by the new build but no one is at fault. Caveat emptor. If its in line with the HG guidelines then fair enough, but I still think the walls are too close together.
My comments are objective. I dont live there and I would not have bought there in any case as I am not in that market segment/demographic. I certainly would never buy anything with a vacant lot or tear-down candidate outside my windows.

Not trying to be combative. Just clarifying that if Mondrian owners didn't know what they were getting themselves into, they only have themselves and their Realtor to blame as this type of build form has been in motion since before the Mondrian was even built. 

On a related note, my friend who bought at the Mondrian this past winter did not know that a 10 storey building will be built between the Mondrian and Sutton East until I told them so. Their Realtor apparently did not know. 

• Nparker likes this

#530 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

...my friend who bought at the Mondrian this past winter did not know that a 10 storey building will be built between the Mondrian and Sutton East until I told them so. Their Realtor apparently did not know. 

That's a rather irresponsible realtor.

• jonny and johnk like this

#531 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

It is the responsibility of a realtor to have a handle on such basic information, especially given the fact that an adjacent site is under construction and has used the parking lot as a staging ground.
  • Nparker, jonny and johnk like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#532 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

That's a rather irresponsible realtor.

Yes, totally bush league. 

• Nparker and johnk like this

#533 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Wow, goes to show you a realtor really isn't worth the $500+/hr they are charging.  I am so glad I bought my house without a realtor and saved the commission

• Matt R. likes this

#534 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

There are views in CSV/FF, maybe not panoramas but many houses and apts have decent tree-height views. I'd rather see trees than have concrete an arm's length away.
I think CoV was derelict in approving buildings that close to others

These buildings were developed not long after the City's new setback guidelines were put into force. Buildings can be fairly close as long as a bedroom isn't facing another bedroom etc, so a living room can face a utility room. So it's all Kosher, or at least better than it used to be.

On a completely unrelated note I see that this Thursday Kilshaw's will be auctioning a $1,000 set of tripod-mounted binoculars.

#535 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:59 AM

IMG_6404.JPG

The Johnson-facing cladding of the Pandora building is now being installed...
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

For more photos and larger photos see: http://victoria.citi...s/1075-pandora/

1075-Pandora-September-18-2017.jpg

1075-Pandora-September-18-2017f.jpg

• G-Man, Nparker and 2F2R like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#537 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Construction will be wrapping up by late this year or very early 2018. The registration website is here.

134-units-of-purpose-built-rentals-coming-soon-to-downtown-Victorias-starved-housing-market.jpg

134-units of purpose-built rentals coming soon to downtown Victoria's squeezed housing market

• Kapten Kapsell and 2F2R like this
Know it all.

#538 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

It appears they will beat Yello on Yates to market ...

#539 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

The building is quite chunky I thought it was going to be north of 134 units. Are there a lot of one two bed floorplans?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#540 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

There's a Floorplans button above the inquiries form near the bottom. Two bachelor plans, six one bedroom, five two bedroom, one three bedroom, and five executive suites. The one BR units look a tad small with one exception, and generally small kitchen spaces.

Something I like in the building overview was that pets are allowed, which is great to add in this market.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users