Photo

FOI Clampdown: City of Victoria vs. Focus Magazine

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 Adrian

Adrian
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hotel Mike sees through the Focus fog. He just forgot to include in the Focus Formula a final step: Bribe city counselors with fawning coverage in exchange for their support.

Adrian

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Adrian, do you have a connection to this in either a personal or a professional capacity? I'm a bit perplexed why someone would hold such an extreme position on this issue if they have no skin in the game, so to speak.

As far as many individuals are concerned the City of Victoria should be making public all materials that are accessible through FOI requests. It's one thing to preach open government and another to practice open government. What's shaping up over the FOI issue makes one wonder whether City Hall is actually ready and/or willing to practice what it preaches.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hotel Mike sees through the Focus fog. He just forgot to include in the Focus Formula a final step: Bribe city counselors with fawning coverage in exchange for their support.

Adrian

This is a libelous statement that leaves me shocked and confused as to why it would be left unmoderated.

#44 Adrian

Adrian
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

No skin in the game, other than I'm one of the 60% majority who voted in favor of replacing the bridge and don't want to see the Flaks at Focus bully city council into reversing the majority's decision.
The issue here is not FOI, but the Abuse of FOI to Undermine the Democratic Process. Let me briefly explain.

A year ago the City held a referendum and a significant majority of the citizens of Victoria voted to replace the blue bridge. Yet, rather than accept the will of a 60-40 majority , the people at Focus have worked almost 24/7 to revenge their loss and reverse the outcome of the democratic process. The major tool in their arsenal has been the systematic abuse of FOI to uncover anything , regardless of how inconsequential, which in their unscrupulous hands can be twisted into a story to embarrass the city administration and thereby undermine its credibility with the voter. It has also blatantly connived to enlist the support of several counselors set on replacing Mayor Fortin, by offering them favorable coverage in the magazine in exchange for their support.

Now, let's turn to what Focus claims to have discovered . I don't have a lot of time so I will single out Focus's revelation that the City has a $35 million seismic upgrade deficit. The fact that every city in North America has reported huge infrastructure deficits including Victoria which is estimated at $500 million makes Focus's "discovery" look ridiculous. Here's what former councilor John Luton said the other day in a letter to Victoria News:
" In July, Victoria city council endorsed a “charity” approach to dealing with municipal financial pressures, pointing to a $500-million infrastructure deficit.
Going into the last election, an ailing fire hall and a foundering Crystal Pool were in the news, though city engineers and our recreation department had been sharing that and other information with council for several years already.
Victoria is not alone, and delegates at the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention taking place in Victoria are hearing similar stories from cities and towns across the province.
So why is this news now?
No doubt it will be useful to receive and share reports with council and the public in a timely fashion, but the storyline that the city’s challenges have been kept hidden by staff doesn’t hold up well under serious scrutiny."
John Luton
Victoria

This example is typical of Focus's way of operating. Essentially , Sam, oops I mean David, has become yellow journalism's "Chicken Little". And because of this, Focus has forfeited any claim to being a trustworthy and respectable news source. The citizens of Victoria need to recognize this. The democratic process should not be undermined by unscrupulous bullies like a David Broadland seeking to avenge their loss at the ballot box.

Adrian

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

This is a libelous statement that leaves me shocked and confused as to why it would be left unmoderated.

Bribe with fawning coverage. That's not the same as bribing with any form of cash or goods or favour in lieu of cash. There is no libel here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Bribe with fawning coverage. That's not the same as bribing with any form of cash or goods or favour in lieu of cash. There is no libel here.

Cash or goods no, favour yes. Whatever, do what you feel like doing today.

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Adrian, do you have a connection to this in either a personal or a professional capacity? I'm a bit perplexed why someone would hold such an extreme position on this issue if they have no skin in the game, so to speak.

As far as many individuals are concerned the City of Victoria should be making public all materials that are accessible through FOI requests. It's one thing to preach open government and another to practice open government. What's shaping up over the FOI issue makes one wonder whether City Hall is actually ready and/or willing to practice what it preaches.

The other thing to point out is that FOI act requests in general are not free. The City can and I am sure does charge for each page of paper they produced and each hour of staff time involved. The rates are set in law and though the City isn't making money, they aren't losing out either.

#48 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

No skin in the game, other than I'm one of the 60% majority who voted in favor of replacing the bridge

When you went to the poll, did you know then what we know now regarding the cost estimates, complexity of the lift mechanism and lack of rail bridge?

I don't think Victorians knew they were voting for a $93M bridge with no rail and a swiss watch lift mechanism.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

^ Exactly. Focus is keeping the heat on what has been a debacle since its inception.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

The other thing to point out is that FOI act requests in general are not free.

Bernard already raised this point.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

The major tool in their arsenal has been the systematic abuse of FOI to uncover anything , regardless of how inconsequential, which in their unscrupulous hands can be twisted into a story to embarrass the city administration

They're so unscrupulous, they can transform inconsequential into embarrassing.

#52 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,240 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

well... I voted twice on the bridge. The first was for the initial concept to go with. I voted for the cable bridge along with the MAJORITY that voted. Council ignored that and went with the walk through tunnel bridge.

The second time I also voted in favour of borrowing the money to replace the bridge (or whatever that actual vote was for). I figured that the cronyism was going to happen anyway so might as well get a new bridge out of it that fixes a lot of issues if you are an actual user of the thing.

I now regret that decision because we weren't presented with the fundamental fact that the design that was chosen was a crazy, risky unproven invention! :o Council needs to be taken to task on this because we are now in a huge risk position. IMO the design should be scrapped and we should look at a very nice bascule bridge that can still be a monument of immense pride without the risk of bankrupting us and leaving us with a bridge that doesn't work....

This is not defending democracy, sorry...

#53 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,240 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Yes, I would also like to add that I was still under the impression there was rail crossing the bridge at the time of the vote...

#54 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,240 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

I think Adrian might be a sock puppet.

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Talk about systematically being able to uncover anything, I am reminded of VibrantVictoria having been chosen as the recipient of the 2012 West Coast Social Media Award.

Some scrupulous democratic process in play, I suppose.

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

well... I voted twice on the bridge. The first was for the initial concept to go with. I voted for the cable bridge along with the MAJORITY that voted. Council ignored that and went with the walk through tunnel bridge.

The second time I also voted in favour of borrowing the money to replace the bridge (or whatever that actual vote was for). I figured that the cronyism was going to happen anyway so might as well get a new bridge out of it that fixes a lot of issues if you are an actual user of the thing.

I now regret that decision because we weren't presented with the fundamental fact that the design that was chosen was a crazy, risky unproven invention! :o Council needs to be taken to task on this because we are now in a huge risk position. IMO the design should be scrapped and we should look at a very nice bascule bridge that can still be a monument of immense pride without the risk of bankrupting us and leaving us with a bridge that doesn't work....

This is not defending democracy, sorry...

I know that the Lasalle bridge has been mentioned here before but it is older than the JSB, has more traffic and is operated under much harsher weather conditions and it was recently completely renovated for $3.5M! I can't believe that the refurbish option was ever seriously considered either.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

I had almost forgotten that the bridge design the public had voted for was not the design council ultimately chose (strike #1?). Thanks for the reminder, dasmo. And I think it was right around that time that a lot of individuals began wondering just whether or not an agenda was playing out with the public consultation a mere sideshow for the benefit of City Hall's ego.

The rail span during the run-up to the polls was more or less a given, we were told. Some informational materials even included the rail span on graphics as a reminder that voting for a new bridge also meant rail would be preserved.

To-date rail is off the table, costs have risen despite the bridge span being shortened, expected lifespan of approaches has been shortened to 75 years from 100, council continues holding in-camera meetings, City engineer Mike Lai who championed the project is now working for Saanich, the lift mechanism is unproven technology, and the one publication (together with Ross Crockford of Johnsonstreetbridge.org) the public trusts to report on the true state of the project may be barred from filing FOI requests, effectively shutting the public out of the process.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

I had almost forgotten that the bridge design the public had voted for was not the design council ultimately chose (strike #1?).

To-date rail is off the table, costs have risen by $30-million despite the bridge span being shortened, expected lifespan has been shortened to 75 years from 100, council continues holding in-camera meetings, City engineer Mike Lai has jumped ship, the lift mechanism is unproven technology, and the one publication (together with Ross Crockford of Johnsonstreetbridge.org) the public trusts to report on the true state of the project may be barred from filing FOI requests, effectively shutting the public.

For more on what the lift mechanism looked like before the 2010 referendum, and how it might appear now. As well as some audio files.

Questioning the Mechanics of a (Very) New Johnson Street Bridge, Part 2

#59 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Serious question. Can anyone give me an example of documents that Focus is requesting under the FOI, that should not in fact actually and already have been made public given the nature of the bridge effort?

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I would encourage everyone to pick up the latest copy of Focus for some background info. For example, I was not aware only 5 FOI requests were made by Focus this year, all of which were paid for by Focus. One FOI request was denied pending release of the requested information within 60 days -- 16 months later Focus was forced to lodge a complaint and only then gained access to material.

I was also not aware that Rob Wipond, someone Adrian holds to a higher standard than David Broadland, also relied on FOI's for his recent investigative coverage. Adrian, your take on this would be welcome.

Now get out there and pick up a copy of the magazine!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users