Local place names - First Nations vs. later names

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have a feeling many individuals who voted for Isitt fell for his leftist views but they weren't aware just how far to the left he really is.

That being said Isitt is a hard working councillor with a more pragmatic approach to issues than some of his compadres, but as someone mentioned earlier in this this thread, voters get what they vote for and this latest issue is actually quite consistent with Isitt's anti-establishment past.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm shocked! And have to laugh. I thought he was in office. Big oops there.
Mike, he didn't get a chance to flush out his reasons. The mood was not supportive so he didn't press the issue. I think he could answer that question best anyway.

I'm curious if this is master politics at play by Ben. It will get his name out there...

#43 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm shocked! And have to laugh. I thought he was in office. Big oops there.
Mike, he didn't get a chance to flush out his reasons. The mood was not supportive so he didn't press the issue. I think he could answer that question best anyway.

I'm curious if this is master politics at play by Ben. It will get his name out there...

May get his name out there but not an in manner that would help his credibility. If it is his idea of a "master" political play it only reinforces my opinion of him.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Oh, I don't think so. Stephen Andrew grabbed the issue a little bit out of the blue, but then would not let Isitt back down from the comments.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

^
I agree. If you say something in public, in a campaign meeting even, you should own up to it. Either say that's what you still believe, or that you have changed your opinion. As oleaginous as he may be, he couldn't squirm his way out. And then he blames the media.

I say good for Stephen. Politicians need to assume ownership of what they say.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Stephen Andrew on Facebook:

Ben Isitt DID indeed say that in his second term he was going to propose the name change. He'll be on my CFAX1070 show tomorrow - Tuesday - at 9 a.m. to talk about his thoughts. I invite you to share your thoughts there tomorrow.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Ben really blew this one and he'll be lucky to walk away with most of his dignity later this morning after Andrew's show. My dad taught me that when you find yourself in a hole--stop digging. Isitt should have said that the name change is now a back-burner topic while we work on more crucial issues like poverty, housing and education, but that he still stands behind the general concept. You can blame the "right wing media" but when dyed-in-the-wool leftie John Luton backs Andrew's version, your credibility crumbles. Isitt's a smart dude but he has little experience with the world outside the university's ivory tower.

My own guess is that most local First Nations leaders are cringing at Isitt's plan. They know they have very little real power. First Nations are little more than a rubber stamp on local decision-making. I'm sure they would love to leverage what little political equity they have but all the attention on such a massively unpopular idea like a name change would put a wrench in that plan. I'd really like to know what the local chiefs think of all this. I bet they support the concept but hate the way the debate is unspooling.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Did anyone catch the CFAX show?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Did anyone catch the CFAX show?

Yes, less fireworks than you might imagine. The phone lines were full of Isitt supporters, the e-mails they read on air were not supportive.

#50 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

I thought Isitt explained his position fairly well.

He's also interested in changing the name of Sutlej St apparently.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I caught the tail end of the hour-long segment. Isitt says it was a mistake when the city's name was changed from Fort Camosun to Fort Victoria and that changing it back would be righting a wrong.

I heard him talking about renaming streets, including Begbie and Trutch. Apparently Trutch was a real bastard with no redeeming qualities anyone can recall and would therefore be a prime candidate for having his street renamed. This would be a good idea, however it would affect a lot of houses, plus it's a slippery slope. Remember Ginger Goodwin Way and the Liberals.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Political correctness aside, how does re-writing history undo past wrongs? This smells of 1984 to me and don't like where it could lead.:mad:

#53 isitt

isitt
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

While I welcome the vigorous commentary and scrutiny on this website, "larrobb"'s statement is patently false and probably defamatory. I was involved with the Camp Campbell protest (as part of the larger community mobilization against the Liberal agenda of cuts and privatization), but I played no part whatsoever in the digging of any latrines. I would challenge "larrobb" to present a shred of evidence to the contrary.

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

^Agreed.There's enough to chew on here without dredging up old falsehoods.

Yesterday I asked a First Nations artist and historian visiting here from up north why the Haida Gwaii renaming went so smoothly while even the mention of renaming Victoria made people angry. He said natives on those islands never really bought into the Queen Charlotte name in the first place.

#55 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Quote removed by admin.

Was he not also part of the fringe group that "blockaded" the construction workers at Bear Mountain from getting to their jobs, thus costing " the average working man" wages from his employer at least for one day and I heard maybe even more as there was some reputed vandalism to equipment that these private contractors owned.

A scurrilous rumour if not true so perhaps Ben, who is obviously on this forum, can put this rumour to rest (one way or the other).

#56 isitt

isitt
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Two operators of feller-bunchers ceased work for two days after I had allegedly entered a fresh clearcut where the scandalous Bear Mountain Interchange in now located. The Crown never certified charges. For more info on that disastrous piece of infrastructure and the larger scandal of Bear Mountain land use, see: Langford’s Bear Mountain Interchange | Benjamin Isitt, PhD

#57 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

For more info on that disastrous piece of infrastructure and the larger scandal of Bear Mountain land use, see: Langford’s Bear Mountain Interchange | Benjamin Isitt, PhD

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

#58 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Two operators of feller-bunchers ceased work for two days after I had allegedly entered a fresh clearcut where the scandalous Bear Mountain Interchange in now located. The Crown never certified charges. For more info on that disastrous piece of infrastructure and the larger scandal of Bear Mountain land use, see: Langford’s Bear Mountain Interchange | Benjamin Isitt, PhD

Oh, so they stopped work voluntarily because you entered their work area? How long were you there - the full two days? And the Crown did not press charges against you so that somehow that justifies your actions?

Typical.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

While I welcome the vigorous commentary and scrutiny on this website, "larrobb"'s statement is patently false and probably defamatory. I was involved with the Camp Campbell protest (as part of the larger community mobilization against the Liberal agenda of cuts and privatization), but I played no part whatsoever in the digging of any latrines. I would challenge "larrobb" to present a shred of evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for the clarification, Ben. We have removed the original comment.

Know it all.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

The nomination thing happens today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users