Photo

Orr's Butchers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisA

ChrisA
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Went to go the Brentwood location and found it closed; apparently all three locations are defunct as of tomorrow.

#2 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Thats sad news.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Wow. Orr's has been a family-run business for decades and a Brentwood Bay staple. I went to school with one of the current owners and it surprises me that he would voluntarily want out of the business.

#4 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

I just filled out an extensive survey for some UVic MBA students on the Orr business. Market research really, questions on wholesale demand, the butcher industry in general, etc. I wonder if there's more to this story?

Matt.

#5 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

So sad, I think there must be more to the story.

I wonder if the difficulty in obtaining meat right now (due to the XL fiasco), was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's a sad day for Victoria and the Saanich Peninsula to see another demise of a small business.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

The last day of business for Orr's will be Sunday Oct. 21. The Sidney store is open 11-4 and all British Food and meat pies are on sale 50% off. Frozen unbaked meat pies are also on sale. 5 pies per bag, 4" pies are $10.00/bag and 5" pies are $15.00/bag.

Orr's Family Butchers
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

BREAKING NEWS: :bow:

Ties Colonist : Orr Butchers closes three stores
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

Yesterday's news tomorrow. We stopped in at the Sidney store on Sunday and picked up some bargains. I asked the gal at the till why the closing and she stated it was the economy with the meat health scare being the tipping point.

She didn't say it with enough conviction for me.

#9 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

Yesterday's news tomorrow. We stopped in at the Sidney store on Sunday and picked up some bargains. I asked the gal at the till why the closing and she stated it was the economy with the meat health scare being the tipping point.

She didn't say it with enough conviction for me.

I dont know anything specific about Sidney butchers, but I do know that the Village Butcher in Oak Bay has no problem shifting pricy homegrown meats. Maybe its the wealth of Oak Bay vs stingy Sidney? I dont know...

#10 Ryan Windsor

Ryan Windsor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrentwood Bay

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Whole Beast and Ottavio are not traditional but rather artisan butchers. They are great stores and certainly are en vogue right now - I'm hoping they stay that way. Orr's was a traditional butcher. We are losing these types of folks because people are gradually losing connection with where food comes from and what it means to pay an honest sum for honestly raised food.

Orr's sourced hormone and antibiotic free meat which tasted good and was healthier for us than the stuff that comes prepackaged to the grocery store. Where is the meat cutter at Fairway? Why did Thrifty's shrink their meat counter and expand the prepackaged section after their reno?

People earn lower wages for stocking shelves than they do for doing on site preparation using an actual skill that we are losing in our community. Some individual farmers have these skills, most are aging. I for one have begun teaching myself how to process animals and grow crops that work here as well as push the envelope. So far I have only scratched the surface, but still feel miles ahead of most people in my age range who have never done these things.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

We are losing these types of folks because people are gradually losing connection with where food comes from and what it means to pay an honest sum for honestly raised food.

Interesting observation. I'd have thought with the recent "buy local" movements that people would be more aware and concerned with where food comes from.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

^^ Thank you for that Ryan.

#13 Ryan Windsor

Ryan Windsor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrentwood Bay

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Interesting observation. I'd have thought with the recent "buy local" movements that people would be more aware and concerned with where food comes from.

I believe it's fair to say that the "buy local" movement has captured the attention of a small subset of people who are passionate or have had something like a health scare that caused them to react. It could be that a catalyst is required and in the absence of one that "convenience" wins.

#14 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

I would definitely consider the Village Butcher a traditional butcher, but I agree its hard to convince people to pay more for less because there are benefits they either dont value or dont understand.

I too hope the trend of buy local on food continues. I think its worth it.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

I too hope the trend of buy local on food continues. I think its worth it.

I don't. I don't see any value in buying local just for the sake of it.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

We should buy VHF some Chinese corn. :)

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

The local meat supply is probably more sanitary than what we're getting from XL foods these days.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

The old Orr and sons butcher shop location at Trafalgar Square in Brentwood is going to be the new home of "Carnivore" the butcher.

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Carnivore Butchers are going to open tomorrow at Trafalgar Square in the old Orr and Sons Butcher location. Their Facebook page says they will specialize in local meats of all kinds raised within 100 miles (or perhaps kilometres) not sure which.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

It looks as though they are moving from Quadra/Reynolds.

http://www.yelp.ca/b...-foods-victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users