Photo

Yates Street TapHouse | Downtown | 700-block of Yates St.

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

the problem with having a full lineup of those cool unique beers is that they don't sell enough to keep them on. there is not enough craft beer drinkers in Victoria that frequent pubs on a daily basis for it to work like it does in other bigger city's.
I have had Rogue, Dead frog, central city, Russell, etc... and there just isn't enough demand. That and the people of Victoria are very loyal to our own breweries, so getting them to switch over is very hard.

I will check it out once it's open for sure.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#22 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

So i think they were supposed to open the doors yesterday. Any one have any info?
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#23 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

So i think they were supposed to open the doors yesterday. Any one have any info?

They are definitely not open yet. I'll take a peek inside today if I get a chance.

#24 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I just walked by about 20 minutes ago and while I didn't look inside it was still all paper covered windows. Where did you hear about the opening date?

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I just walked by about 20 minutes ago and while I didn't look inside it was still all paper covered windows. Where did you hear about the opening date?

Yesterday on Facebook they said:

Not today but hopefully by the end of the week, almost there just a few more things to complete!

On November 4th they said:

We are unfortunately having our grand opening party that night (the 17th), otherwise I would have it on but we will probably be showing other UFC events in the future!

https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I walked by and it looked a week or two away to me. VHF beat me to it though with some more reliable information than I could have given.

#27 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Just walked by and this place looks like it could open today if they wanted to.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Just walked by and this place looks like it could open today if they wanted to.

It is open today, buddy of mine that is friends with one of the owners is having his b-day there tonight.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Good for them. I wish them luck, and with the era going up across the street maybe they'll fare better than the previous attempts, which were always decent but never a place you really thought about going to.

I think if they have decent food, lots of TVs and good beer at decent prices they'll do fine. It's a decent location, and a large spot, so there is potential. The office really lacked something...it didn't have a personality or any ambiance. Canoe's beer has gone downhill since Hoyne left, so I for one am open to trying out some different spots.

I just wish they would have gotten rid of the solarium out front...

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I agree, the solarium is there is weird.

I saw an add for this place on the arena's electronic sign board. Can anyone advertise there now? I assume the no third party advertising limitation is no longer enforceable by the City.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

The main issue with the solarium is that people tend to urinate on the sides of it at night and with it not being a proper wall some seeps under the bottom. This often leads to it being less than a perfect place to imbibe.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Eww, say what? I never knew that happened.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

A coworker says they were served an undercooked burger at lunch...

The solarium looks goofy from the outside, it's cold for most of the year, and you're removed from any ambiance the place may have if you are seated there. It's a beautiful downtown old brick building with an out of place solarium that takes up most of the sidewalk...it's weird.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Good for them. I wish them luck, and with the era going up across the street maybe they'll fare better than the previous attempts

No. Studies show the majority of customers of a restaurant or bar come live over 5km away. One residence of a few hundred people does not make a big difference.

#35 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

No. Studies show the majority of customers of a restaurant or bar come live over 5km away. One residence of a few hundred people does not make a big difference.

I meant that more like that block of Yates St will be a much more attractive place to visit with a modern building and courtyard rather than a small building, crack alley and mud pit.

#36 Sloth

Sloth
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

It's almost like this place is cursed! In 6 years, this is the fourth name change I've seen. I went once when it was "The Office" and once when it was "Syn" (2008?), both times got very mediocre food (different menus; no idea if it was the same owners). Anyone know if the new owners are in fact new?

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria Sloth.

#38 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

They don't have pitchers at this place, they have these 1.5L jugs with their own taps on them so you can serve yourself. I guess you could even put stuff in there with the beer.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I was YST the other night and the place had a foul odor that seemed to be emanating from the air vents. The entire premises smelled like a teenagers basement bedroom and customers were opting to have a beer then leaving before ordering another round or food.

Hmmm...

Know it all.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

2-year anniversary next month!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users