Photo

Cora | Victoria | 850 Douglas Street

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

The only place I know that has cheaper than average breakfast entree prices is Cabin 12.

And it shows.

I haven't been to Cora, but I'd like to know where these breakfast places are that serve a full breakfast (not a breakfast sandwich) for much less than $12.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

The orange juice was $3.75, and it was "large", I forget what "regular" costs. I don't know, I'm no orange juice expert, but for home I buy Tropicana, I like it, this seemed similar.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

$17 for a breakfast item, plus drink, plus tax is easily $17. I usually pay almost $20 per person then a tip on top.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I think it depends on what your breakfast is. Quite a few places have your trad breakfast of eggs toast bacon and coffee for the 7 -10 dollar range. Both Floyd's and Plutos have options in the 8 - 10 dollar range.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#45 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Logans Pub of all places does a pretty decent brunch, plus you get live music along with it. There's some almost unfinishably large orders there for ~10.
And yeah, if I'm going to be paying such a premium I'm going to eat at a local place. There's so so many great local places within every price range and only a few highly avoidable chains. I eat out a shameful amount and I like to keep the final total in the 10-15 range for dinners and under 10 for lunch.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#46 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

And it shows.

I haven't been to Cora, but I'd like to know where these breakfast places are that serve a full breakfast (not a breakfast sandwich) for much less than $12.

Explain, are you complaining about the Cabin? We have had nothing but good experiences there, mind you with comments like that maybe the line up will be shorter on Sunday mornings :)

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Logans Pub of all places does a pretty decent brunch, plus you get live music along with it. There's some almost unfinishably large orders there for ~10.
And yeah, if I'm going to be paying such a premium I'm going to eat at a local place. There's so so many great local places within every price range and only a few highly avoidable chains. I eat out a shameful amount and I like to keep the final total in the 10-15 range for dinners and under 10 for lunch.

Breakfast prices are very consistent here. Around nine for your basic tier items (bacon and eggs, regular french toast) and twelve dollars for your upper tier items (bennys, deluxe omelettes). I challenge you to show me a joint that varies from this rule. Of course, big portions, quality ingredients and live music greatly up the value.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Ya, I can vouch for Logan's.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

For those of you that haven't dined out since Trudeau was Prime Minister, 12 bucks is the going rate for a breakfast entree at just about worthwhile joint in town. But for that price the orange juice better be premium, not the industrial solvent some places pawn off.

The only place I know that has cheaper than average breakfast entree prices is Cabin 12.

This morning, 600-blk Yates:

#50 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

That's a good deal - too bad it's probably offset by 3.99 hours in the bathroom. ;)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#51 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

The Fairways on Quadra has a cheap breakfast as well but the quality is terrible.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

You are what you eat and you get what you pay for :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

That's a good deal - too bad it's probably offset by 3.99 hours in the bathroom. ;)

Places like this undergo the same surprise health inspections as any other food outlet.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

A man kidnapped at gunpoint under mysterious circumstances from his home near Montreal and later released is the president of the Cora breakfast restaurant chain, the company confirmed Thursday.

Nicholas Tsouflidis was nabbed Wednesday night in Mirabel, north of Montreal.
A passerby found the bound businessman in a ditch in Laval.

http://news.national...e-was-kidnapped

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,742 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I've eaten at Cora; there might have been better food in that ditch.

• Jill likes this

#56 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Heavy on the fruit. I actually like Cora, but once you eliminate the super high calorie breakfasts, there isn't a ton left that looks appetizing.

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

I'd like to see a movie where Howie Siegel gets kidnapped and he drives the kidnappers crazy.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

The place has line-up on the weekend regularly.  I kind of like it.  I go so very rarely, and since you pay at the front, I never feel obligated to tip.  And I sometimes don't.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,742 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

The place has line-up on the weekend regularly.  I kind of like it.

I'd rather see an IHOP here.

#60 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Both would be better. I was really surprised there was no IHOP here when I first moved. Maybe they'll take spot in the Mayfair mall expansion, they like going into malls.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users