• 7,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

its a rental kitchen usually by the hour

#302 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

When they say commissary kitchen, I assume they mean that they mean a commercial kitchen that can be used by food truck operators. Not everything can be done in the trucks, so having reliable access to a well-stocked commercial kitchen is often necessary.

Yah, food trucks or market producers etc. There are even local producers who make products for large chain restaurants out of these sorts of establishment.

I worked with a guy who made jam, these little jars of jam, but he also made all the tomato and alfredo sauce for Earls chain wide which was then distributed through Sysco or GFS.

Matt.

#303 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

its a rental kitchen usually by the hour

Like the no-tell motels from days gone by.

#304 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

It's in the former Smoken Bones kitchen space only, not Townline's office space.

Originally it was the folks from the Ruby that were supposed to operate that kitchen. Maybe they still are involved with this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#305 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Nope, pulled out. I had heard that the Ruby was going to use the space as a commissary for their three restaurant locations plus extensive catering, but somehow Patrick and Sterling got ahold of it and have a different vision.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#306 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

^ Three restaurant locations for the Ruby? I thought they just opened their 2nd on Johnson near Douglas.

#307 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

^ Three restaurant locations for the Ruby? I thought they just opened their 2nd on Johnson near Douglas.

They run that BBQ place on Cook St.

• Matt R. and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Former Cook N Pan.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#309 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Went to the market to check out the "butcher." Was hoping to score some free samples. Gave up. Line wrapped around the front and halfway down the length of the market. Whole place was pretty busy today.

Yeah, I think the speculation of the market's imminent demise has been greatly exaggerated.  I only counted one vacant rental spot.

33902438962_525914123b_h.jpg

• Nparker and Jill like this

#310 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,230 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

It's an interesting spot. It is finding its mix. With the greater density going in this will just get better. Especially if it's part of a mix of retail close by with people walking about.
  • jonny and DavidSchell like this

#311 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

It's going to be well-positioned when the Hudson complex is complete. When I worked near there, would go for lunch 1-2 times a week and it was typically busy. Occasional weekend visits have seen it busy also. Suspect it will be fine with the (gradually) increasing density in the area.

• Nparker likes this

#312 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

We regret to inform you, our loved and loyal customers, that after countless efforts to help make the Victoria Public Market a better experience for customers and visitors by giving the best of our food to every client that visited our restaurant, while also remaining critical of the management of the VPM, we received an unlawful termination of our lease this past July 26th 2017 and have been forced to close our business with out any notice. 

We want to be clear that our most serious intentions was to help the market grow and succeed by delivering fresh, healthy Mexican food from scratch for everyone to enjoy, while also creating a healthy work environment for all the many workers at the VPM. 

As a small Mexican restaurant, a lot of our wonderful customers supported us by getting their favorite burrito or grabbing their warm cup of ginger tea or maybe, just to greet us with a lovely attitude and for that we thank you from the bottom of our hearts; we may not be here now, but we know that tough experiences are the ones that make us stronger. 
lots of love Mama Oli 

if you wish sent your thoughts, you can contact us at our email below 
If you wish to help us with our legal case, please donate to to us by e transfer at lacocinademamaoli@gmail.com

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 August 2017 - 07:43 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#313 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

Yes, I noticed last week that they had closed abruptly. 

Also of note, the vegan butcher place will be vacating its space at the entrance to the market and moving to the former seafood spot's location.

Know it all.

#314 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

I enjoyed the food at La Cocina, but the service was slow and I could barely manage to get my food and eat before my lunch break was over. Fresh is great, but not everyone has a full hour to wait for a meal.

I noticed at least 3 closed spaces in the Market when I walked through on Saturday. This place is still struggling to find it's rhythm.

#315 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

I think its single biggest drawback is the lack of sunlight. Granville Island has many buildings with skylights and feels so much more open. Even with good artificial lighting, the VPM feels a bit oppressive. 

• Nparker and DougG like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#316 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

I think its single biggest drawback is the lack of sunlight. Granville Island has many buildings with skylights and feels so much more open. Even with good artificial lighting, the VPM feels a bit oppressive. 

And it's too far away to attract walkers from the cruise ship tourist trade/

#317 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:42 AM

I think it is fine as it is. They will find someone else to go in that spot. As the area is built up more it will get busier.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#318 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

The loss of the fish and chips place seems to portend an ongoing struggle for business in the Market to achieve success.

Having said that, the crowds have most definitely increased at lunch time over the past year or so.

There were always people in the now closed fish joint at lunch, and they sold (IMO) the best fish and chips away from Fishermans Wharf ... which begs the question "why did they close"?

I asked them just before they left the Market, as I ate there regularly ... and was told that they were moving to Oak Bay because they weren't seeing success being located in the Market (I don't think they ever did open in Oak Bay, so they may have had other reasons than issues with the Market itself).

Best thing about their fish is that it was almost always less than a day old, as they were based in Cowichan Bay and brought their seafood in fresh daily.

The Mexican place struggled to serve food to patrons in less than 40 or 45 minutes, something they never overcame.

You needed more than an hour for lunch if you were going to eat there, and if you were with other folks who ordered food from another food stall in the Market, your associate would be long finished their meal while you still had to wait another 15 minutes to even get yours.

I guess too, that, as a business - if you're going to publicly, and repeatedly bash your landlord, you do risk not being invited to renew your lease.

Edited by Cassidy, 09 August 2017 - 06:07 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#319 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,975 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

The market has the same problem it had when it opened. It is busy at lunch when nearby office workers take their breaks but empty for the rest of the day. Many people living downtown do not have the discretionary budget to be eating out every day either.

The good news for Townline is that there is a never ending stream of people who want to start food services businesses to keep filling the empty stalls.

Edited by spanky123, 09 August 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#320 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

The Mexican place struggled to serve food to patrons in less than 40 or 45 minutes, something they never overcame.

Jeepers, that's not good.

Why did it take so long for the food to be prepared?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users