Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#21 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

^^ Guess they are figuring with the weather so nice no need to rush an interior market.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#22 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

The main area of the Hudson building has got to go down as one of the worst commercial lease flops in recent history. How could it have possibly not found a paying tenant in 5 years?

#23 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

There's a coffee place, restaurant, bank, yoga studio, and one or two other places in there. I think the market is taking up the last of the space left

#24 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

https://www.facebook...554626134597819

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Grand Opening of the Beautiful
Victoria Public Market at the Hudson
September 14th, 2013!

VICTORIA, BC - While Victoria has been enjoying a glorious summer, over at the Hudson a dedicated crew has been working hard transforming the historic 18,000 square foot space of Canada’s second oldest Hudson Bay department store into Canada’s newest Public Market. Saturday September 14th 2013, everyone is invited to celebrate the fruits of these labours at the official opening day of the Victoria Downtown Public Market at the Hudson - 1701 Douglas St. Doors open at 10AM, music and entertainment start at 11AM.

“The market team would like thank everyone for their faith and patience in this project” said Maryanne Carmack, General Manager. “This new public space shows that the capital city is a leader in encouraging small business, increasing access to local food, and acting as an educational centre that supports a healthy regional food economy.”

What: Launch of the new Victoria Public Market at the Hudson
When: Saturday, Sept. 14th, 10AM Opening Ceremony, 11AM Ribbon Cutting
Where: 1701 Douglas St.

Confirmed Permanent Vendors: The French Oven, Silk Road Tea, Salt Spring Island Cheese, LaCocina de Mama Oli, Island Spice Trade, Roast, Victoria Pie Co, Cowichan Bay Seafood, Sutra, Damn Fine Cake Company & il Dolce Gelato

Other businesses located at The Hudson include Hudson Yoga, Olive the Senses, 2% Jazz, the Inner Harbour Optometry Clinic, DesignHouse Salon, Royal Bank and Smoken Bones Cookshack.

Media Contacts:
Maryanne Carmack
250 884 8552
marycarmack@victoriapublicmarket.com
Philippe Lucas
250 588 1160
philippe@victoriapublicmarket.com

www.victoriapublicmarket.com

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's do or die now! This photo is from yesterday. Painters were onsite Sunday painting the new ironwork for the new signage. That likely in a perfect word, would have been done before it was installed.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I never understood the rush to celebrate a "grand" opening so close to the end of a construction period. Several local businesses have done this over the years and it's been an unnecessarily stressful time for all involved.

Have a soft opening, work out the kinks over several weeks and then hold the grand opening when you're really ready.

Fingers crossed for these folks, though, this has been a long time coming and I'm hoping the market is a great success :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Oh my that is a lot to get done in a week!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I never understood the rush to celebrate a "grand" opening so close to the end of a construction period. Several local businesses have done this over the years and it's been an unnecessarily stressful time for all involved.

I guess this one with so many missed deadlines, they decided to put the pressure on themselves.

#30 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Is it cynical of me to on the one hand want the market to succeed on it's own account, but on the other want it to fail miserably because it just seems to be a vehicle for keeping Philippe Lucas' name on people's lips until the next civic election?

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

I hope they don't leave spaces open hoping for more "local" stuff. A real market has stalls with all kinds of stuff.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Men's shoes used to be right down at the end of that aisle on the right.
Cosmetics was on the left.

Now they're going to sell turnips. :mad:

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Today.

#34 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

What is the structure for this endeavor? Is it a private business that is leasing space to venders?
Is the plan to be open daily?
Pieta VanDyke

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

What is the structure for this endeavor? Is it a private business that is leasing space to venders?
Is the plan to be open daily?

Yes, open daily. I think the whole place is rented to the society, then they sublease to tenants.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Down to the wire!

We have heard that if they block Douglas past 3pm, they are getting a $5000 fine. They expect to miss the deadline.

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

We have heard that if they block Douglas past 3pm, they are getting a $5000 fine. They expect to miss the deadline.

There's our pro-business city council working hard again.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Well, a little better planning by the contractor would have been smarter. Urban Sign is just the manufacturer, the installation is not by them. I don't think it's unusual to ask that Douglas not be blocked after rush hour starts. It's gonna be traffic nuts of it's still blocked at 4pm. Gonna be tough for buses to keep to schedule.

#39 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

How is keeping traffic moving during rush hour not pro-business?

#40 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

How is keeping traffic moving during rush hour not pro-business?

People who workin The area need to be able to travel to andfrom work without unnecessary delay caused by an activity such as installing a sign and blocking traffic on a Friday afternoon also peoe heading into town for dimness or entertainment at businesses would be affected

Hope these examples clear up the confusion

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users