Photo
- - - - -

The Root Cellar | McKenzie @ Blenkinsop & Hillside @ Prior (in planning)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Yes, thanks for the update, I've been wondering what is going on there.

The excavator was moved off site a few months ago and then re-appeared very shortly thereafter. Perhaps someone is happy to have a free place to store it.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

The folks at the Root Cellar have messaged us regarding the upcoming Prior Street location which has been delayed by quite a considerable amount of time.

The Hillside and Prior location is currently still in the research & development phase as we evaluate the possibilities.Please stay tuned!

We've forwarded a question regarding the possibility of soil conditions causing delays for the opening date of the new location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Response from Root Cellar:

There have been no issues with soil condition at the Hillside site; inaccurate gossip. Thanks for checking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

.. well, its been 6 months, the excavator has (i think) disappeared, the Root Cellar signs in the windows have also disappeared..  Someone appeared for a couple days a few months ago and threw a more modern facade on the stucco band around the top of the building.. but nothing..

As you appeared to be able to get more out of them than I did when I messaged them awhile ago, Mike, feel like doing a follow-up with them?  Gotta figure its cancelled by now, which is too bad..

cakes..

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:50 AM

Its definitely not looking good. I'll see what I can do.

Know it all.

#26 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

There has been a lot of activity there lately. Trades have beenn coming and going, there has been work done on the roof presumably the air handlers. A retaining wall has been built where the previous houses were possibly in preparation for a parking lot?
We would love to see this become a Root Cellar still!
  • nagel likes this

#27 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

I'd like to know what the layout plans are as I don't see how they will have enough parking space in that location. Especially if they use any parts of the rear lot for outdoor shopping like they do at Blenkinsop.

#28 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

There has been a lot of activity there lately. Trades have beenn coming and going, there has been work done on the roof presumably the air handlers. A retaining wall has been built where the previous houses were possibly in preparation for a parking lot?
We would love to see this become a Root Cellar still!

l'm pretty sure its no longer going to become a Root Cellar.  Possible new retail in the works, can't say what it is at this time though ;)

#29 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

That's too bad - I would love a Root Cellar type place closer to town.

Please share what you can, when you can Mr. B!

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

l'm pretty sure its no longer going to become a Root Cellar.  Possible new retail in the works, can't say what it is at this time though ;)

Not enough space for parking and outside produce bins. I would still go to the Blenkinsop store no matter where else they open up

#31 Soozbc

Soozbc
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

The parking lot has been mostly finished over the past few weeks. While checking out at the Blenkinsop store yesterday it was very busy and one of the owners was on the till I went to so I asked what was happening with the Hillside location. He confirmed that the parking lot was completed and that they are having trouble finding a manager (I was told this months ago as well). So it looks like it WILL be a Root Cellar one day. If anyone knows an experienced grocery store manager who's looking for work, put them in touch. I can't wait for the opening.

• Mike K. likes this

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

Thank you for the update.

Know it all.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

Expanding at McKenzie and Blenkinsop

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#34 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:53 AM

Going to miss the Italian Bakery.

#35 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

I think a Root Cellar would fit nicely at the Roundhouse development.  

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

I understand the Root Cellar expansion will be for some sort of restaurant, rather than more supermarket.

• Nparker likes this

#37 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

Any word on the Hillside location? Walked by today andbit is looking pretty close to done, but Rootcellar, or something else?
"I know nothing"

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

McKenzie

IMG_4303.jpg

#39 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

^ Are they expanding the McKenzie location?

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

^ Are they expanding the McKenzie location?

Rooftop parking was expanded.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users