#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

http://staging.cfax1...er-speed-limits

O8HnK7Ce2II

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Who are the councillors pushing for this speed decrease locally? I know C. Gudgeon is, but who else?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Why do we need slower limits? Why not go for 10km then, at that speed almost nobody will die when struck. How many recent hits have been by people doing the full 50k? Certainly the Douglas St. death wasn't, the car was turning left.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

They've completely lost their minds...

http://staging.cfax1...er-speed-limits

You got that right (hard to believe we agree on something I know). According the article linked to above, "The suggested change to 40 kilometers an hour is only for highways that run through municipalities."Why on earth would anyone think that a speed reduction of 10 kph on these roadways would have any useful effect?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Keep in mind that "Highway" under the Motor Vehicle Act includes all roadways. So unless otherwise posted, Blanshard would become a 40kph zone. All roads downtown would be 40kph zones. McKenzie, Shelbourne, Hillside... all 40kph zones.

As it stands right now, if a municipality wants a speed limit other than the statutory limit of 50kph, then they need to amend their streets and traffic bylaws with the speeds they want for particular road segments and post signs.

The amount of "paperwork and signage" to keep roads lie McKenzie, Shelbourne, Blanshard, etc.. at 50kph would be insane compared to simply reducing the limit on problematic stretches of road.

The other bit that makes no sense:

The resolution also says consistent province-wide speed limits would promote driver awareness.

We already have that, ironically in the form of a statutory speed limit which is what is being called for by this motion.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

As I said before this is a solution to a non-existent problem. Nanny-state here we come!!!! Who is on this committee and what data were they presented with to come up with this insane and idiotic waste of time?

#7 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

As I said before this is a solution to a non-existent problem. Nanny-state here we come!!!! Who is on this committee and what data were they presented with to come up with this insane and idiotic waste of time?

Sigh. And how do we go about smacking them upside their heads until they find something better to consume their time with?

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

CTV piece on this: http://www.ctvvancou...-be-the-new-50/

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

It won't do anything to improve consistency. Sure, there are 30, 40 and 50kph zones now, but after this change there will still be 30, 40 and 50 kph zones. Unless Shellie Gudgeon is seriously hoping that major roads within municipalities will be reduced to 40 as well.

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Only a couple of posters on this site would obey the 40kmh limit, and that would be just to pissoff all the drivers behind them.

If the city is looking for a cash cow I wish they would just state that.

Maybe this is part of a court ordered punishment for Gudgeon based on what others have said about her penchant for speed.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

http://www.timescolo...omentum-1.45642

Victoria councillors are driving an initiative to reduce the default speed limit on B.C. residential streets to 40 kilometres an hour.

“Consistency in speed zones is imperative but the council seems to have embraced it,” said Victoria Coun. Shellie Gudgeon, who first made the suggestion of the lower default speed three months ago.

Victoria councillors are now fine-tuning a resolution asking the Union of B.C. Municipalities to help lobby the province to make the change.

[...]

#12 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Think of some of the changes that will need to be done.

- Timed green light sequences will need to be reprogrammed.

- Bus schedules will need to be adjusted to make sure buses have time to complete their route while travelling at a maximum of 40 km/h.

- Many 50 km/h signs will need to be replaced.

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Not only that, but to keep some 50kph zones you need bylaw amendments for every road segment, new signage, etc...

I can't imagine how big of a mess this would create. When you consider all the major projects and issues Victoria has to worry about at the moment, lowering the speed limit in other municipalities should be the absolute least of our worries.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Most people travel 10 km over the speed limit, sometimes more. So if the speed limit were reduced by 10 km per hour to 40 km per hour they would still be going 50. If you travelled 10 km on your way to work then the time difference would be 3 minutes more if you drove at 40 km instead of 50 km.

So leave 3 minutes sooner and you're good.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Most people travel 10 km over the speed limit, sometimes more.

Typically that's because speed limits are often set 10-20kph lower than what should be considered reasonable for the roadway, combined with years of enforcement targeted at drivers who "drive 10 over".

If the limits are set correctly, you'll get much more compliance instead of this "It'll be ok if I do 10 over" business.

#16 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Most people travel 10 km over the speed limit, sometimes more. So if the speed limit were reduced by 10 km per hour to 40 km per hour they would still be going 50. If you travelled 10 km on your way to work then the time difference would be 3 minutes more if you drove at 40 km instead of 50 km.

So leave 3 minutes sooner and you're good.

This statement has left me speechless. Have you even considered the financial ramifications of such a law? Have you considered the lack of data employed by this illustrious group to come to this conclusion?

Why stop at 40, why not 30? or 20? just leave an hour earlier....better yet sell the car and buy a pony...oh wait owning a pony is illegal in city limits....

#17 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Why stop at 40, why not 30? or 20? just leave an hour earlier

The difference in time over a 25 K journey between 50 kph and 40 kph is less than 8 minutes. If that's a huge difference in your mind, you seriously need to slow down your life, man!

Me, my primary means of motion is walking at 3 kph on a good day. 25 K would take me a whole working day. Actually a lot longer than that because my left foot generally goes on strike after about a mile or so.

The buses already average 40 kph or less on city streets. Slowing other traffic down a bit wouldn't make much different to that and unless you have repealed the laws of physics it would be safer by definition. Well, if Mr. Scott couldn't repeal the laws of physics I doubt that you can either.

Strangely, back when people were stuck with horses and buggies they still managed to get around and live their lives. You are freaked out that your journeys might take you a couple of minutes extra. May I advise you to slow down and get yourself a life?

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

May I advise you to slow down and get yourself a life?

Pull it back a bit please, that could be taken the wrong way.

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

This isn't about being in a rush to get places more quickly. If anything, lowering speed limits will create more frustration, more anxiety and a greater sense of urgency amongst motorists which will in turn lead to more aggressive driving.

eseedhouse: you keep talking about physics. Slower is safer if you crash. While this may be true in a crash, the physics argument conveniently leaves out risk and probability. "The faster you go, the harder you hit" doesn't translate into "The faster you go, the more likely you are to hit".

We already have a hard enough time with compliance on roads like Hillside, McKenzie, Blanshard, etc. I'm curious to know how you see lower speed limits leading to greater compliance. Or is it that you're OK with the crash rate increasing so as long as they're low-speed crashes?

#20 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

The buses already average 40 kph or less on city streets.

If buses average upwards of 40 km/h then they do it by periods of travelling at greater than 40 km/h.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users