Proposal to reduce municipal speed limit to 40 km/h

• Please log in to reply
1454 replies to this topic

#881 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hmm. I wish Todd Stone would up the speed on both to 60 through town then. ;)

#882 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Douglas and Blanshard were probably removed because they can't change the speed on them without the provincial government's blessing.

Why is that? Because any reduction to the speed limit on Douglas and Blanshard, Provincial Highways 1 and 17 respectively, must be approved by the Minister of Transportation, currently Todd Stone, in writing, because the downward changes clearly reduce their capacity to move people and goods in a given time-frame, as compared to a similar time-frame before the proposed bylaw is enacted. 

Not within the City of Victoria. Douglas and Blanshard are only controlled by the Ministry until the Saanich border.

• sebberry likes this

#883 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

City of Victoria has responded to our inquiry about a question on the ballot. Their response:

"An amended bylaw will be presented to Council for consideration. Opportunity for input at public hearing."

Talk about dodging the question.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#884 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

And Ben using the old standby " if 1 life could be saved" guilt trip

Dear Ben:  Every second spent looking down at your speedometer is a second a child could run in front of the car.  You wouldn't want a child squashed because the driver was looking at his speedometer, would you? 

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#885 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hmm. I wish Todd Stone would up the speed on both to 60 through town then. ;)

Councillor Gudgeon has already committed to reviewing Blanshard speed limits for a possible increase to 60.

#886 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Councillor Gudgeon has already committed to reviewing Blanshard speed limits for a possible increase to 60.

Snowballs chance in hell
  • sebberry likes this

#887 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Snowballs chance in hell

Yeh, well I took a screenshot from her facebook page of her saying so, so there :P

#888 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Not within the City of Victoria. Douglas and Blanshard are only controlled by the Ministry until the Saanich border.

Are you sure about that?

#889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I too think that's the case. That's why the City of Victoria has already moved on the creation of the bus lane while Saanich needs provincial approval.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#890 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

CORRECT.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#891 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

I too think that's the case. That's why the City of Victoria has already moved on the creation of the bus lane while Saanich needs provincial approval.

It could be argued that bus lanes improve flow/capacity. 

As for the City controlling the highways, does anyone have a reference to support it? I'm genuinely curious. How can they be provincial highways, all the way to the sea in the case of the Pat Bay, yet not?

#892 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

99 through Vancouver would be similar. Hmm

#893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

http://www.th.gov.bc...ered_routes.htm

1: From Mile Zero at Douglas and Dallas Roads, via Douglas Street, Malahat Drive, Duncan, Ladysmith and through Nanaimo via Nicol Street, Terminal Avenue, Stewart Avenue, to the ferry terminal at Departure Bay. South of Tolmie Ave is under municipal jurisdiction (Victoria).

17: From the ferry terminal egress at the junction of Oswego Street and Belleville Street, via Belleville Street and Blanshard Street to the ferry terminal at Swartz Bay. South of Tolmie Ave is under municipal jurisdiction (Victoria).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#894 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

The voters/the taxpayers are used to seeing signs to SLOW :drillsergeant:  DOWN.

Take the design/progress of the new bridge for example.

#895 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

The Regional Transportation Plan has a map of MoTI-jurisdiction routes in the CRD. Page 88:

https://www.crd.bc.c...14.pdf?sfvrsn=8

(Disclosure: I work for CRD Regional Planning and worked on the RTP)

• R0ark likes this

#896 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

The Regional Transportation Plan has a map of MoTI-jurisdiction routes in the CRD. Page 88:

https://www.crd.bc.c...14.pdf?sfvrsn=8

(Disclosure: I work for CRD Regional Planning and worked on the RTP)

Well there it is. Thanks!

#897 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Driving along Foul Bay this morning heading towards UVic and as I come up beside Tomley's Market (Foul Bay at Neil) I see an IRSU police car parked on Neil and a police officer kneeling behind a bush lasering cars as they are driving down Foul Bay hill from Camosun. https://www.google.c...aE3KfPOziQw!2e0

I'm like 'WTF?' So I drove around the block and parked across the street from him. I took out my cell phone and started to set up to take a picture when he sees me. He promptly stands up and steps out from behind the bush and makes his presence more visible to oncoming traffic. He stays visible for another minute and when he realises I'm waiting for the money shot he goes back to his cruiser and leaves.

First I thought they couldn't have speed traps at the bottom of a hill and second kneeling down and hiding behind a bush??????

Comments?

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#898 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

My only speeding ticket in 12 years I got a month ago on Hwy 3 heading to Hope in Manning Park. At the bottom of a long 7% grade hill, 4 lane hwy, right before the speed limit goes to 100 from 80. Sigh...

Mind you, I was speeding significantly (120+), though I'd guess about 15 or 20 km of that was due to the hill (i was not accelerating). I generally do keep my speed at ~10% over the limit unless not safe.

#899 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

People speed down the hill. Good for the police for catching people.

#900 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

As I have said time and time again, monitoring speeds is not about improving road safety, but entirely about catching speeders and therefore bringing revenue from fines. Being in plain sight would slow all the traffic down; hiding means you want people to speed and be caught.

• rjag and sebberry like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users