• Please log in to reply
1454 replies to this topic

#1121 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

On tonight's episode of "My walk around my newly livable community"...  A man smokes on the sidewalk because he didn't want to do it on his own property, a pile of belongings dumped all over the sidewalk from what was probably a stolen backpack and immature idiots yelling obscenities from a passing car. 

On a positive note the racoon that snarled at me last night was nowhere to be found tonight. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

At least those idiots in the passing car were driving at a livable pace.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

This section of a letter in the "opinion" section of the TC today hits the nail on the head:

Anecdotal evidence, political ideology and opinions from self-proclaimed driving “experts” should not guide transportation policy.

See more at: http://www.timescolo...J.rIml2r2c.dpuf

Too bad the rest of his letter is rubbish, as demonstrated by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

Accidents involving child cyclists are often the result of the child playing, doing tricks, riding too fast or losing control. For teenage and adult cyclists, accidents are more likely to involve collisions with motor vehicles, but about 16% of fatal or serious cyclist accidents reported to the police do not involve a collision with another vehicle, but are caused by the rider losing control of their bicycle.

In collisions involving a bicycle and another vehicle, the most common key contributory factor recorded by the police is 'failed to look properly' by either the driver or rider, especially at junctions. 'Failed to look properly' was attributed to the car driver in 57% of serious collisions and to the cyclist in 43% of serious collisions at junctions.

[...]

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1124 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

I see that CARS has shared news of a Georgia city reducing speed limits.  Let's look at the roads that will receive 40kph speed limits...

1.JPG 2.JPG

3.JPG 4.JPG

Not at all inappropriate. 

So why are they so hell bent on roads like this being 40k zones?

g.JPG

• Hotel Mike, tedward and lanforod like this

#1125 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

NZ First police spokesman Ron Mark said the toll was evidence the zero-tolerance speed campaign was a "failed experiment" and accused the police and the Government of "stealth taxation" via speeding fines.

"It has precious police resources sucked up making good drivers feel like criminals instead of focusing on those driving too fast, too slowly or too badly," he said.

Drivers were anxious about being caught just over the limit, Mark said: "People are saying to me that instead of driving to the conditions, their eyes are darting from the speedo to road and back again and that every time they see a police car, they instinctively brake despite being well within the speed limit."

http://www.stuff.co....-tactics-failed

“There is simply no evidence that rigid enforcement of speed limits has made the slightest difference to the behaviour of high risk drivers. After two years of the heaviest anti-speeding campaign in the country’s history, the road toll has actually climbed, not lowered.”

http://www.scoop.co....speed-limit.htm

• Nparker likes this

#1126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

You should forward this to City Council and the CARS folks sebberry.

#1127 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

You should forward this to City Council and the CARS folks sebberry.

When have they responded favorably to reason and logic? 

I was banned from CARS months ago. 

• http likes this

#1128 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

When have they responded favorably to reason and logic? 

True enough.

#1129 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oHcDyhDrnI

#1130 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

You've become a danger to society Seb.

• sebberry and todd like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1131 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

Hey, you were only doing 38 for a good portion of that, pick up the speed pal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1132 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

MAXIMUM 40kph... gotta leave a little headroom there in case I pick up a bit of speed going down hill :)

#1133 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

Back on the Gorge today...

First guy having fun in his Porsche.. whatever.

Second one - The green minivan that was holding up traffic in the left lane finally passes me.  The semi gets down to about a car's length from my rear bumper (wide angle camera makes it look further, but he was close).  Gives me a honk of his horn then finally passes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=196dDqaHuwY 

#1134 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Back on the Gorge today...

First guy having fun in his Porsche.. whatever.

Second one - The green minivan that was holding up traffic in the left lane finally passes me.  The semi gets down to about a car's length from my rear bumper (wide angle camera makes it look further, but he was close).  Gives me a honk of his horn then finally passes. 

Video coming soon...

That semi had his rear wheels creeping over the white line a few times, and his box is outboard of that.

#1135 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

Oh those crazy Porsche drivers😉
  • sebberry and Dr. Barillas like this

#1136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

That semi really showed you who's boss. I'll be posting this to FB. R&D Trucking may be interested to see how their drivers choose to operate the biggest vehicles on the road.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1137 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

R&B   That bigger phone keyboard can't come soon enough. ;)

What this shows is that even professional drivers who most likely have a good safety record get frustrated by stupid regulation.  He of all people should have seen that the traffic was backing up in the left lane a bit and that I'd just sail right past him approaching the light. 

I seriously feel like a danger on Gorge now.  Feel free to tag Rob Wickson and Shelly Gudgeon in the post :)

• Mike K. likes this

#1138 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Hmmm, all that video proves to me is that average speed, counting lights, is probably less than 35 kph, and that going 40 kph is more efficient than 50 or 60 kph.  I am starting to be converted to the CARS way of thinking.   

• Coreyburger and Mr Cook Street like this

#1139 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

sebberry!

#1140 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:01 AM

Oak Bay have launched a speed limit review, you can read the article here https://www.oakbay.c...t-review-survey

and take the small survey here http://fluidsurveys....d-limit-review/

CARS is going to have a fit with this statement

Another important statistic is compliance. This is the percentage of drivers going at the speed limit or less. Compliance will generally be good when drivers believe that the posted speed limit is reasonable. Compliance can be improved temporarily by enforcement; however, most municipalities cannot afford high levels of enforcement on a continuing basis. This chart shows compliance on some streets in Oak Bay. This data supports findings of research that most drivers do not pay attention to posted speed limits, but drive at a speed that they feel is reasonable.

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users