• Please log in to reply
1454 replies to this topic

#1341 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

http://www.thetimes....d600c4776627ab6

shouldn’t be surprised that Manchester council has dropped its much-vaunted 20mph speed limits. Launched with a fanfare in 2012, the £1.7 million road safety project across 1,800 zones has led to little reduction in average speeds or accidents. But that’s what happens when local councils provide kneejerk solutions to traffic and transport issues. Generally they don’t work.

• Nparker, sebberry and On the Level like this

#1342 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

Idling engines in stationary traffic raise ground-level emissions by 70 per cent and a series of speed bumps can increase them by 100 per cent.

Interesting, but I'd like to see some numbers to back that up.  I remember asking CARS once if they were advocating for monitoring pollution levels before and after the speed limits were reduced.  Ya, no answer.

Oh well, I'll keep doing 40kph on Quadra only to have someone pull around to pass me just as we enter the school zone.  Or they'll jump the light in the right lane to get ahead.  Every. Single. Day. (almost)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1343 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Low speed limits only result in drivers being so bored they start looking for other distractions to keep their brain active. You want people to pay attention to what they're doing? Scare them.

Abolish all speed limits and make cars out of glass with big rusty spikes sticking out of the middle of their steering wheels... I think you'd see a huge increase in driver attention and safety on the roads.

• Nparker likes this

#1344 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

...although a speed limit hike is the [BC Transit] commission's preferred solution, potential alternatives include dedicated bus lanes and transit signal priority, where buses are fitted with devices that turn traffic lights green for them.

I can guarantee you which one the city would choose...and it won't involve raising speed limits. That would mean admitting they were wrong to impose a blanket policy and I think we all know this administration never eats crow.

#1345 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

The speed limit should have been zero. It's the only prudent and safe thing to do.
  • Nparker likes this

#1346 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

40's not good enough anymore....now its 30 according to Corey https://www.vicnews....n-local-roads/ 

#1347 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

^Big surprise... 😡
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1348 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

40's not good enough anymore....now its 30 according to Corey https://www.vicnews....n-local-roads/ 

"It's a bike route and you as a car are a guest".

If that's not evidence that there's an anti-car ideology at play here, then I don't know what is.

• Ismo07 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

...Burger pointed to New Brunswick implementing Ellen’s Law this year, in which drivers passing cyclists must give at least a metre of space between their vehicles and the cyclist...

https://www.vicnews....on-local-roads/

This isn't going to be easy on sections of Fort Street. Perhaps the bike lanes there should be scrapped and chalk the cost up to "lessons learned".

#1350 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

"It's a bike route and you as a car are a guest".

If that's not evidence that there's an anti-car ideology at play here, then I don't know what is.

I missed that part....oh thats a bit of a stretch isnt it?  :whyme:

• Nparker likes this

#1351 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

the comments here https://www.facebook...6&notif_t=like 

#1352 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

30K speed limits represent the pondering of complete idiots
  • Nparker likes this

#1353 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

I think it's a great idea. I saw someone biking down the side of the Pat Bay last night so how about we lower the limit there to 40 or 50? The TCH probably has cyclists so same there. Maybe we can see if emergency vehicles can slow down as well and make their sirens a little quieter as it might startle some poor cyclist if they go by with it blaring.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#1354 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

Reducing the speed limit to 20mph has caused a rise in death and serious injuries, a council has admitted, but is refusing to reverse the scheme because it will cost too much. 

Bath and North East Somerset Council spent £871,000 bringing in the 13 new speed zones just 12 months ago.

[...]

http://www.telegraph..._source=Twitter

#1355 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Someone please share this with Rob and Shellie over at CARS? 

#1356 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

A very relevant article from the UK.

'Safer' 20mph [32 km/h] zones led to rise in number of road deaths but too costly to reverse, council admits

Bath and North East Somerset Council spent £871,000 bringing in the 13 new speed zones just 12 months ago. But one year on, a report has found that the rate of people killed or seriously injured has gone up in seven out of the 13 new 20mph zones.

However, their review pointed out that 20mph zones in which other traffic calming measures were introduced alongside the reduction in limit were much more effective.

I think that second point is pretty key. You can't just slap a lower speed limit on a road and think all will be good and dandy, as we've seen on Gorge. The traffic calming measures are the only way to get people to actually slow down safely.

• Coreyburger and Jackerbie like this

#1357 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

^ People drive at whatever speed feels comfortable on the road. Design is key. If a neighbourhood street has mature trees, street parking, and narrow lanes, people will naturally drive more slowly than they would on a street with wide lanes and no sense of enclosure. Changing the number on a sign does not make up for poor/flawed/misplaced design.

• Coreyburger, nagel and nerka like this

#1358 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Talk to any traffic engineer,  trying to reduce speeds with signs isn't just useless it's dangerous.  If you want lower speeds you have to design for them, there's no alternative if the goal is actually reduced speeds and increased safety.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1359 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Talk to any traffic engineer,  trying to reduce speeds with signs isn't just useless it's dangerous.  If you want lower speeds you have to design for them, there's no alternative if the goal is actually reduced speeds and increased safety.

Which is exactly where the study mentioned in this topic comes in. Rise in fatalities and incidents since changing the signs, but success noted where design interventions were made.

• shoeflack likes this

#1360 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:48 AM

Haynes, who first pitched the idea to his fellow mayors in March, said reduced speeds will help fight climate change by making side roads safer and encouraging more people to get out of their cars and walk or cycle.

????

https://www.timescol...test-1.24181791

more people will walk and cycle because it'll be just as fast as driving?  or more people will walk and cycle because cars near them will be going slower?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users